VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1. What is the best video conversion tool today, that stays up to date and is open source? I am still using Handbrake but it is starting not to work with some of the new formats. I am a professional editor and use Adobe Premiere Pro for all my major projects, but it is just overkill for personal and home conversions.

2. What is the best muxing program (if not the same as the answer to #1)? I have a MKV video file and a DTS audio file that I need to mux into one MKV. No conversion, just must it into a MKV container with both audio and video streams. I have already tried Super, and it failed/crashed on Win 7 64 bit.

If possible please do not recommend the cheap/horribly though out programs like ImToo Video products, Riverpast products or ones like Total Video Converter, etc...You know the ones, where the GUI looks like it took 5 minutes to make, and the output file is always half the quality you expected even after 6 hours of transcoding.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by milOtis View Post
    2. I have a MKV video file and a DTS audio file that I need to mux into one MKV. No conversion, just mux it into a MKV container with both audio and video streams.

Most people would use mkvmergeGUI (mmg) for this job.
    From here:- http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/docs.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by bat999 View Post
    Originally Posted by milOtis View Post
    2. I have a MKV video file and a DTS audio file that I need to mux into one MKV. No conversion, just mux it into a MKV container with both audio and video streams.

Most people would use mkvmergeGUI (mmg) for this job.
    From here:- http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/docs.html
    Awesome, worked like a charm! 3 minutes to remux a whole 2hr movie. Nice advice!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for encoding handbrake is good. I use it for conversions of existing mkv's down to smaller mkvs for things like my 400x800 phone screen and my media player in my car where the screens top off at 480p. For the rest like handling full bd to a good size mkv for my home server to networked players I find ripbot264, which is a just a bit more complex gives me more options.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One problem that I have with MKVmerge is that it reads my 5.1 ac3 audio from my Hauppauge HD-PVR TS files as video files and I get an error while trying to mux them. MOF, just about every program that I've tried says that these files are corrupt and refuses to do anything with them. TSdemux and TSremux are worthless on these TS files. The only program that I've found that will give me a usable ac3 file for MKVmerge is called gdsmux and is part of the Haaili Media Splitter.

My favorite program for encoding files is Virtualdub and with the external encoder in the new version you can encode to just about anything. It uses commandline encoders. There is a link below with instructions on how to set them up and use them. There are new input plug-ins by fcchandler that can import FLV and MKV files or you can use the directshow input driver along with ffdshow and Haaili Media Splitter to open unsupported file types..

Virtualdub 1-10.0
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/files/virtualdub-experimental/1.10.0.33848/...0.zip/download

Links to Virtualdub Filters and Input Plugins
    http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=12664&

How To Open Non-avi Files In Virtualdub
    http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=18798&

How to use the external encoder feature
    http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=18840&

For a simple program, both Handbrake and Super work well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I am using some free video converters, but they are special for one output format, such as EM Free Video Converter for iPad, iPod, iPhone, MP4, divx-dvd, flv, zune, psp etc. So there are many free video converters on my computer, this may take some disc space, but they are easy to use and always give me a good result, so I think they are valuable for that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Also they all have multiplexing and demultiplex functions in advanced tools. I suggest you have a try with them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. 1 ) mkvmerge . is quick amazing just add or delete streams etc save 2-3 mins , its the no bull FOR MKV FILES
    2 ) Handbrake is good but yes doesnt work with some of the newer formats , .

3 ) AUDACITY can now handle AC3 files and supports VSTI plugins ( It loaded all my FLSTUDIO VSTIs )
    i loaded a AC3 ,then time stretched it, re exported it in under 20 mins used mkvmerge to remux my video
    fixing a big issue i had with ntsc to pal conversions with audio lag the got worse through the time code.

4) VIRTUALDUB

is only one that still reigns SUPREME for avi files and its FREE
    It runs on a linear base so its fast , was developed around the 386/486 using commandline encoders,
    so it just gets better and better .
    Plugins for it started around 1.5 and that was only mpg support ,

Virtual dub has been the best program for encoding for years , and now It throws the new formats around
    mkv ac3 mpeg2 flv files about with ease and power
    been using it since 1996 or 1997 and am glad they have worked on Plugins more.

they must have got so sick of me sending them email about adding file importers..

try this one its a bit like the Gordian knot Gui that used to operates many lil toys

"Eac3to and more GUI" by Yraen v1.09 Beta 11 , it harnesses Mkvmerge , TSmuxer , Eac3to
    in one interface

All in ones with nice Gui's TOTAL & AVS
    Quote Quote