VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. After searching Im still dont know how I can edit the length down of a DVD9 to DVD5 size. The DVD is NTSC and has LPCM and DTS, I've tried different authoring softs but none recognize the DTS audio component. If DVD-lab will do this Im unable to find a tutorial which specifically explains the encoders to a noob. Please provide me some direction.

EDIT: I would like to keep both audio's intact, but reduce main movie length.
    Last edited by zoomie; 6th Jan 2011 at 01:43.
    Samsung HMX-H106SN/XAC HD Camcorder
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have quite a few DVD9 that I am able to backup to two DVD5, one with DTS, and one with LPCM, with dvdshrink.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    After searching Im still dont know how I can edit the length down of a DVD9 (5.2GB actual) to DVD5 size.
    I am going to assume you mean compress a dvd9 (dual layer) down to a dvd5 (single layer dvdr) and not edit the length of the movie/video...

As SingSing already stated, DvdShrink, or if you want a bit better video quality, Dvd Rebuilder.

Dvd-Lab is just an Authoring program, is does not "shrink", "Transcode" or "Re-convert" video down from a dvd9 to a dvd5.

If your original dvd is only 5.2GB then dvd shrink will probably suffice for the job, if you only want the main movie/video then you may not have to shrink it at all ?

I have used both the above mentioned programs to fit a dvd9 with DD 2.0, DD 5.1 & DTS 5.1 audio tracks from much larger dvd9's to single layer dvdr's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. With DVD shrink, doesnt it compress the DVD? I'd like to edit out content to make it smaller with smooth transitions etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    With DVD shrink, doesnt it compress the DVD? I'd like to edit out content to make it smaller with smooth transitions etc.
    You can delete extras to make more room with DvdShrink, or as i stated, select the reauthor mode and backup the main movie only.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank-you folks for your guidance, I'll look into these.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello again, tried DVD rebuilder and am sure DVD shrink isn't what I need because even with deleting extras, its still over DVD5 size. I want to edit out main movie content to make it smaller with smooth transitions, fade outs etc. Possible?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again, tried DVD rebuilder and am sure DVD shrink isn't what I need because even with deleting extras, its still over DVD5 size. I want to edit out main movie content to make it smaller with smooth transitions, fade outs etc. Possible?
    It's not going to happen and it will not save enough space trying to change or re-encode transitions or fade ins/outs to make the effort worth while, you will either have to use dual layer dvdr's, transcode it (dvdshrink) or re-encode it (dvdrbuilder) to make it fit on a SL dvdr.

Even in "re-author" mode with dvdshrink if it is still to large to fit on a SL dvdr you are going to have to do 1 of the 2 suggestions mentioned previously, period!

Transcode or re-encode.....

Now if you want to cut out scenes or 10, 20 minutes, of the entire video then it is possible........
    Quote Quote  
  9. Lucky for you that you admitted upfront that you're a noob, because your questions are a little...exasperating.

I'd venture to say most veteran members here must be thinking of the work involved in what you propose. And for what? A DVD backup? For goodness sake, just spend an extra fifty cents and put it on a dual-layer DVD, no re-encoding at all, and be done with it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    ...Now if you want to cut out scenes or 10, 20 minutes, of the entire video then it is possible........
    Yes! How?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    ...Now if you want to cut out scenes or 10, 20 minutes, of the entire video then it is possible........
    Yes! How?
    Again, dvdshrink, but what's the point of not re-encoding ?

To save some space by cutting out 20 minutes of a film/movie instead of re-encoding it and odd's are you nor anyone else will ever be able to tell the difference considering your original is barely over the size of a dvd5

Time for a fork, cause this is done!!
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Yes! How?
    Again, dvdshrink, but what's the point of not re-encoding ?

Cutting out 20 minutes of a film/movie
    dvdshrink, it works
    Last edited by zoomie; 7th Jan 2011 at 00:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes! How?
    Ditch the DTS and maybe you can do it. Womble Mpeg Video Wizard can edit your files (you may have to demux first) but I don't think it will do DTS. VideoRedo probably will do DTS, but it won't do transitions.

DVD Rebuilder will re-encode your file to DVD5 size, if you use it correctly, however if you insist on DTS audio you will take a quality hit - DTS needs a lot of space.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=guns1inger;2046046]
    DTS needs a lot of space.
    Not any more than LPCM.

And if he want's to cut out "song's" from a concert dvd, which he never stated anytime until now, will work without losing any audio tracks or quality, probably, depending on how much he cuts out.
    Quote Quote