VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have all 3 DVDs from "Twilight" (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse) but, unfortunatelly, they have only german subtitles
    Has somebody (or could extract from the original DVDs) separate the english subtitle, so that I can make backups with integrated english subtitles? All I can find on the net are subtitles matched for different ripped versions of the movies, which are not sync with my original movies...
    Could somebody please tell me if he has them, or at least give me a link where to find something...

Thanks in advance!
    Conrad
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...really no chance to do it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went on amazon.de to look at the specs of the German releases of those movies and was surprised to see that no English subs were included (although there is an English dubbed audio track).

It is a somewhat laborious process, but you can re-time your downloaded English subs to synchronize with your ripped version of the movie using Subtitle Workshop, and then use a DVD authoring program to remux the new elements together.
    Quote Quote  
  4. conrad i found the 1st twilight and newmoon so i rpped you the sub and idx files oh the 1st one has LB and WS and scnd is WS
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Conrad007 View Post
    All I can find on the net are subtitles matched for different ripped versions of the movies, which are not sync with my original movies...
    This is probably because your DVDs are in PAL format and the subtitles were ripped from NTSC DVDs.

It is theoretically possible to resynch the subtitles using various subtitle programs, but all I can tell you is that I've never been able to get it to work correctly for me the few times I tried to do it. Perhaps others who have had success doing this can tell what they did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Workshop will permit you to change the frame rate, so that the times will adjust. Once you set the first subtitle to the proper point, you can tell it to move all the other subs the same number of seconds. I don't know of dylz sent a sub from an Aussie version, but if so, it would be PAL. A UK version would also be PAL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,I have all 3 DVDs from "Twilight" (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse) but, unfortunatelly, they have only german subtitles
    Has somebody (or could extract from the original DVDs) separate the english subtitle, so that I can make backups with integrated english subtitles? All I can find on the net are subtitles matched for different ripped versions of the movies, which are not sync with my original movies...
    I fix that all the time.

Get some decent English subs in SRT format, don't worry if they're out of sync, just check through them to see if they make sense.

Get Subtitle Workshop, version 2.51 (the later version is different, but it probably is similar).

You'll use the German subs for timing.
    Check if the first and last subtitle in each file refers to the same line of speech. That's the easiest case.
    If so, open the English subs in Subtitle Workshop,
    Edit/Timings/Adjust/Adjust to Synchronised subtitles -- then choose the German subs to sync to.
    Save and you're done.

Otherwise see the extensive manual, "Chapter 2: Time related features" for "Method 2: synchronize using two points."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great advice, AlanHK. I wasn't thinking about that timing option. Anyway, Subtitle Workshop is a great tool for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  9. conrad i dug up twilight eclipse subs jus incase
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your answers!

@dylz: I cannot open your files at all with Subtitle Workshop (error message: "The file ... is a bad subtitle or an unsupported format")
    What am I doing wrong?

Conrad
    Quote Quote  
  11. there not a bad format there idx sub format cause i thought u were gonna author onto a dvd, sub workshop won't open vobsubs (picturesubs) i'm sure; Do you want srt (txtsubs)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    search the following sites.

www.opensubtitles.org
    www.subscene.com
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Open in avidemux (easier than subrip) than go tools> OCR vobsub to srt> select the idx out of the folder that u extracted than set output file example: asfsdf.srt and save then do each character which should take 10mins
    Quote Quote  
  14. yeah his subs are outta sync i posted the ripped of the dvdr he needs to ocr or download and resynce with subtitleworkshop
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dylz View Post
    there not a bad format there idx sub format cause i thought u were gonna author onto a dvd, sub workshop won't open vobsubs (picturesubs) i'm sure; Do you want srt (txtsubs)?
    Thank you so much for the files and the explanation. Yes, I want to author the DVD, but don't know exactly how...I've managed to convert the sub to srt, althought with some small problems (for example, AviDemux recognizes in some cases an "i" as a "l" and a "."... but that's not a big problem). Now I have the srt files and I need some more detailed advices on how to include this english subtitle in the DVD... which tool and how to do it... Should I extract first the german subtitle also, for the syncronization purpose?
    Isn't possible to use directly the idx and sub files from you to add this english subtitle, without converting first to srt? And should I convert also the dvd in another video format first and after that back to DVD format (would be pretty complicated)?
    Please advice.

Thanks again for your previous help!
    Quote Quote  
  16. you can author in muxman but if you have the dvd you have to demultiplex (serperate) the stream audio and video in pgcdemux open ifo then tick demux video stream untick creatlog and select outputfolder then in muxman open video audio and and subtitles though it doesn't accept SUBIDX files only SUP and sst i know you can use subtosup the just author it or use dvdauthorGUI accepts *.sub, *.srt, *.ssa, *.smi, *.rt, *.txt, *.aqt thogugh i got no mpeg's to try and it's the same process as seperate the audio video open dvdauthorgui add aud/vid/srt then author, You can try open sub in dvdauthrogui if it won't open use srt.
    Quote Quote  
  17. And the German writes in much better English than the native English speaking Aussie. Really now, dylz, much of what you wrote is unintelligible. Please take more care with your writing in the future.

If adding subs to a retail DVD, follow Baldrick's guide and use his method 2:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/209731-How-do-I-add-new-subtitles-to-a-existing-DVD

That way you'll keep the menus and anything else you want to keep. The guide is similar to what dylz tried to describe, but in much better English (by a Swede, I think) and with pictures. If you have VobSubs (IDX/SUB), they can be instantly converted to SUP for use in Muxman using SubtitleCreator. If starting with SRT, the guide explains how to get them converted to SUP for use in Muxman.

And if English isn't your first language, dylz, I apologize.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both, dylz and manono, for your very helpful advices.
    I've tried to follow Baldrick's 2'nd method and I've discovered that the Subtitle Creator has a DVD authoring wizard which uses exactly the same steps described by Baldrick. Following Baldrick's method, when I reached the step where I had to choose the files in the Muxman interface, I've notice that I don't know which audio files to choose, cause there were 3 files, like: "Audiofile_80.ac3", Audiofile_82.ac3" and "Audiofile_83.ac3" and I had no idea which one is in english...
    So at that point I decided to use SC's wizard, to make my life a little bit easier
    Now the next problem is that the wizard hangs in an endless loop in the step where Muxman is doing it's job... the overall progress indicator of the wizard stays by 53% (I've let it run over last night, thinking that it just needs more time for building the vobs, but in the morning it was still at 53%...) and the displayed "Remaining time" is increasing as the time runs, (instead of decreasing)... Now I don't know where could be the problem: in the files generated by Pgcdemux, in Muxman itself, in the .sub files, kindly uploaded by dylz - thanks again, (maybe compatibility problems?) or in the original vob files which I've backed up on my HDD... As result I get 3 complete vob files (about 1GB each) and a 4th vob file which has about 640MB (and stays like this...) - there should be like 7 vobs. Do you have an idea what could be wrong?
    Thank you in advance for your help!

Conrad

P.S. @ manono: actually I am not a german native, I've migrated to Germany like 10 years ago and english is also not my first language (unfortunatelly ). I just love the english language and therefore I'm trying to make as few mistakes as possible. Thank you so much for the appreciation.
    Quote Quote  
  19. That doesn't sound right on my xp muxman used to hang at 100% fot a bout 2mins while it completes.
    Sorry man i have no clue, With the muxman oiption you could play them and see which one is teh correct one also i can see that muxman allows up to 4 audio so I would just add them as the original dvd has.

@manonolol Who cares he understood what I meant isn't that the point:P
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Conrad007 View Post
    cause there were 3 files, like: "Audiofile_80.ac3", Audiofile_82.ac3" and "Audiofile_83.ac3" and I had no idea which one is in english...
    Did you try playing them to see which is which? Also, the order they're listed in the menu is also usually the same as the order in which they're numbered.
    Do you have an idea what could be wrong?
    The Muxman mux should only take about 15 minutes. If I had to pick a culprit, it would be the subs. You have enough hard drive space, right? I'd test by muxing without the subs, and if that works go back and try again with the subs. You might check the Muxman log (in the root of the C drive) to see if it says anything about the problem. I'd also try muxing with Muxman directly, rather than through the SubtitleCreator Wizard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know which audio files to choose, cause there were 3 files, like: "Audiofile_80.ac3", Audiofile_82.ac3" and "Audiofile_83.ac3" and I had no idea which one is in english.
    Just play them, most media players should be able to play AC3.
    May be different languages, or a commentary track.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've managed to mux all the files (and the new subtitles) by using all softwares separately: Pgcdemux for demuxing, SubToSup for converting dylz's sub to sup, to be able to use them with Muxman, Muxman to mux all files and VobBlanker to restore the original DVD menus... but: first, as I tried to replace and I've opened the VTS_01_01.ifo from the Muxman output directory, I observed that there is only a VTS_01_0.ifo file (not VTS_01_01.ifo), so I selected it (I don't know if this difference in the name is relevant); second, I've selected a complete new folder as output (is it correct? should I copy the resulted files somwhere else at the end?); third, after 2 warnings messages from BobBlanker which said that "There are some audio attribute differences in stream 1 and 2", probably caused by the fact that I might have been changed the order of the audio streams, I confirmed to "correct the destination IFOs". After that I've hit "Process!!". I have attached the log file from VobBlanker. As I finally launched PgcEdit and opened the new created DVD, I see listed just a few informations and a 5 minutes movie... (please see attached screenshot).
    I'm sure I've done something wrong - probably at the VobBlanker stage, because if I play separately the VOBs from the Muxman output (I used VLC player for that), I can select and activate also the new added english subtitle!
    Could you guide me in the right direction to finish my new authored DVD?

Conrad
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PgcEdit_screenshot.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	5061  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  23. You can do it much simpler for example: PgcDemux You can demultiplex the audio/video leave them aside > then convert Sub to sup using sub2sup> then open muxman Add the Video> then in each audio section start from audio 1 and add them> Add the subtitle >>Then select save folder and author it if the original was 4gb then the final result should be a larger filesize and open the first ifo or bup in your pc dvd player make sure it works and Burn!!!

Note: muxman sometimes hangs for a minute or two be patient it still authoring
    Quote Quote  
  24. When muxing with Muxman, you forgot to load the Celltimes.txt:
    VTS 01: Replacing PGC 01 by E:\dvd-output\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Cells to be replaced =17.
    Cells in replacing VOB=1
    To get your chapters back (and the whole movie, as you can see from the included pic), go File->Import Chapter and load the Celltimes.txt PGCDemux gave you.

Also, when doing the 'Replace' step, open the original retail DVD, highlight the movie to be replaced so that it appears in the lower window, highlight it in the lower window, hit 'Replace' to the right, and scroll to the Muxman authored one.

Also, I don't know if you did this or not, but if you have a single SUP file and the movie is 16:9, that SUP file has to be loaded twice in Muxman, once for Wide and then again for LB. That'll get rid of the red warning message.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've finally got it, thanks to your support!
    I think one of the most important thing is to work organized: the best is to create from the beginning separate folders for different stages of the files, as I could read in another post. For example, you can create the folders: "original", "demuxed", "remuxed", "authored" and save your files in the corresponding ones - this will avoid a lot of troubles and mistakes (experienced myself).
    Now my next challenge is to make the names of the new added subtitles appear on the main menu and to change the names of the chapters from german to english... Maybe you could give me some advice also for that?

Best regards,
    Conrad
    Quote Quote  
  26. Well, if the menus are motion menus, you might have problems. I'd make them static first, if I were you. Adding subs to a menu when there weren't any before is pretty tricky, and I don't know if I'd suggest you try it. If you want the subs on by default, that's pretty easy to accomplish. Then rely on the remote control to turn them off if you like. And if you just want to write over the current chapter names, that can be done as well. I have a guide for some of what you want:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/254043-Guide-for-extracting-menus-for-editing-and-r...00#post1514500

And good going on getting the subs into the DVD!
    Quote Quote