VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all.

I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9. I have edited from an mgeg2 a one minute project together. I now have the same file of the source mpeg2 that I edited with as an h264 quicktime file, at much higher quality, from the original source.

What I want to do is create a much better quality video file, with the exact same edits on the h264 as the mpeg2 I originaly edited on.

Is there a way to either tell exactly at what time in that mpeg 2 file each edit was made (example, to tell that a specific edit started at 12 minutes 2 seconds and 9 frames, and ended at 12 minutes 7 seconds and 12 frames, to try to match the h264 file exactly with the mpeg2 file), OR, is there a way I can substitute the h264 file for the mpeg 2 file, and keep the same edit points?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you try right clicking clip in clip bin and selecting "replace" ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only method is to load the original in the first video line ... and a second video line below and load the edited version into there ... scan frame by frame and detect changes ... the first change is the start marker 1 ... moving forward and detect change again ... this is end marker of 1 ... this is the first edit point section.

For this I would use a copy of the original file ... keep the original as an untouched backup.

When you edited the file and set sony off with the encoding process certain frames (or number of) would have had additional encoding to join segments ... especially if transitions where used ... it might be easier to split the original (copy) at this point so you can align the second section with the edited file ... matching frames aligned ... then repeat above ... split again ... repeat.

In the end you'll have segmented the original (copy) and the splits indicate where edit's had occurred

A long process ... which is why the program has a feature for backing up projects
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not sure what BJ's is saying, but in the pro version, you just right click and "replace" . I'm not sure if it's the same in the studio version. This will swap out the old asset with the new one, with edits preserved. If you've used the same clip more than once, all instances of the old asset will be replaced by the new asset
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As a side note, you can also copy just the attributes from one event to another.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks everyone. Not long after I had posted the message I figured out I could do it with the "replace" command.

Thanks, though!
    Quote Quote