VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any good freeware to do this? I understand there's a feature called CUDA that speeds it up? These are high definition video files that come from a camcorder with a file extension of .mts. I just wanna convert them to other formats like .mp4 or .avi, etc. Which format is the best quality to convert them to?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mediacoder is free and supports CUDA. The quality isn't as good as x264. And I can get faster encoding (and still better quality) with a quad core and x264 at the "veryfast" preset.
    Quote Quote  
  3. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is x264? Is that a program?

And is Mediacoder truly free or is trialware? It seems like there's a lot of programs out there that say they're free just to trick you and then you find out it's shareware.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyGalaga View Post
    What is x264? Is that a program?

And is Mediacoder truly free or is trialware? It seems like there's a lot of programs out there that say they're free just to trick you and then you find out it's shareware.
    x264 is an open source, legally free, h264 encoder with a ton of options (perhaps too many for most users).

media coder is truly free and supports both the cuda h264 encoder as well as ffmpeg, mencoder, xvid and x264.

if you have a fast quad core cpu, you're better off using x264 with the "ultra fast" preset, 2 b-frames, 1 reference frame, "normal" tune and cabac settings, with the main profile and either the 4.0 or 4.1 level. this should result in good quality files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I see x264 says it's an encoder, but will it start out with an .mts file and convert it to something else? .mts files have always been a pain in the a**. What do you think is the best format to convert to? .avi, .wmv, .mp4, etc...
    Intel i7-950 ASUS GeForce GTX460 1GB 12GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 MHz OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    depending on the file size your lookin for, why not try handbrake for x264 encoding and set it to an mkv container? or u can set it to an mp4...great program
    Quote Quote  
  7. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm...

Well I'm not understanding to actually download x264. Is this an actual program or just a codec? I see it has a list of frontends, but I wonder if any of those programs are free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264#x264_frontends

And if I may ask, what's an mkv container?

Thanks!
    Intel i7-950 ASUS GeForce GTX460 1GB 12GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 MHz OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Using ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU Graphics Card To Convert .mts "

You are specifying a solution when the problem has better solutions.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I thought I read online that if you have a graphics card with a feature called CUDA, that there are software programs out there that can convert .mts files to other formats much faster by using CUDA in your graphics card, instead of using the CPU?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CUDA helps in the processing of video files for encoding. It was meant to take the load off of the CPU and use the normally dormant GPU as a substitute. Uses both basically. CUDA and GPU encoding processes aren't exactly on the "perfected' list yet. It'll get there though.

x264 will come with handbrake. It's an hd codec
    Quote Quote  
  11. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So what is "encoding"? Does that simply mean to convert video files? Is that the same thing as what people call "transcoding?"

Hokay. BIG learning curve. This is gonna take a while. (might as well try to learn overclocking for heaven's sake.) LOL.

It's unreal how hard the simplest thing is. Lost of screens. Lots of options, settings, and error messages. All I want to do is convert .mts files from the camcorder to the best quality format so they can be edited. (I think I read somewhere that .mts can't be edited until you convert them first.)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JohnnyGalaga View Post
    So what is "encoding"? Does that simply mean to convert video files?
    It's a pretty broad term. You can take it to mean converting or compressing audio and video files.

Is that the same thing as what people call "transcoding?"
    Some people use the word transcoding to mean converting (recompressing) from one compression codec to another (this was the original use of the term). Some people use it to refer to DCT domain re-compression where the video isn't completely decompressed and recompressed. That can be faster than fully recompressing but the quality isn't as good. Programs like DVD Shrink use this.

I read somewhere that .mts can't be edited until you convert them first.)
    It depends on your editor.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    if you have a fast quad core cpu, you're better off using x264 with the "ultra fast" preset...
    For the OP:

In my experience the "ultrafast" preset is about twice as fast as the "veryfast" preset. But with CRF encoding (where you specify the quality you want and the file turns out whatever size is necessary to achieve that quality) it also generates files that are twice as large. Personally, I think veryfast is the better compromise.

x264 has several preset modes. Encoding speed can vary 20 fold or more between the fastest and slowest presets. I'm not sure if the following is up to date but it's worth a look:

http://blog.dest-unreach.be/2009/09/08/x264-presets

You can also override specific parameters after selecting a preset.

And the latest builds of x264 can convert an MTS file directly to MP4 or MKV. But it won't include the audio. You'll need to mux that in later.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Jan 2011 at 21:57.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    encoding traditionally refers to taking an uncompressed video and/or audio file and compressing it using a codec (COmpressor-DECompressor).

transcoding refers to taking a file that is already compressed and converting it so that it uses a different compression scheme.

mts, mkv, mp4, avi, wmv, mpg, m2ts, ts are all containers for video and audio streams.

muxing refers to combining 2 or more streams in a single container.

x264 is an encoder (compressor).

cuda is a C like programming language for writing applications that run in part or in whole on dx9 and above nvidia gpu's.

i have to ask, why do you feel the need to convert your camcorder sourced mts files?
    Quote Quote  
  15. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any way to stop MediaCoder and Handbrake from accessing the internet everytime you open either program? Zone Alarm keeps telling me they're trying to access the internet.

Well, I keep getting a Code 008 error code with MediaCoder (image attached). Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I don't understand what this whole "container" thing is all about and why the audio format isn't compatible.

Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Error Code 008.bmp
Views:	497
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	4979  

Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by JohnnyGalaga View Post
    Is there any way to stop MediaCoder and Handbrake from accessing the internet everytime you open either program?
    I find it exceedingly annoying too. Try putting mc.broadintel.com and www.mediacoderhq.com in your hosts file. You'll still get an error message. Of course, that means you won't be able to go to those web sites until you remove them from the hosts file.

And why does the program alway start minimized in the System Tray? I start this sort of program because I plan to use it. I want it to open in a normal window. It's not a background system service.
    Quote Quote  
  17. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I tried using the setup wizard in MediaCoder, which basically walks you through a series of questions to pick the settings you need. There's a couple settings I wasn't sure about and was wondering anyone could help.

Basically, I'm not sure what option I should choose for the:

Audio sample rate
    Container format
    Bitrate mode & quality (what's a "bitrate", anyway?)
    Video format to convert to (mpeg-4, mpeg4 XviD, Motion JPEG, etc.)

Here are the screens from the setup wizard. If anyone may offer any help it would be great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	audiosamplerate.png
Views:	221
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	4980

Name:	containerformat.png
Views:	197
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	4981

Name:	snap002x.png
Views:	200
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	4983

Name:	snap001w.png
Views:	212
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	4982

Quote Quote  
  18. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Is there any way to stop MediaCoder and Handbrake from accessing the internet everytime you open either program?
    I find it exceedingly annoying too. Try putting mc.broadintel.com and www.mediacoderhq.com in your hosts file. You'll still get an error message. Of course, that means you won't be able to go to those web sites until you remove them from the hosts file.

And why does the program alway start minimized in the System Tray? I start this sort of program because I plan to use it. I want it to open in a normal window. It's not a background system service.
    I don't see anything called a "hosts file" so I'm not what to do. But I do know that if you click on File > Settings > Overall > User Interface > Tray icon navigation, and choose the Disable tray icon radio button, that'll stop it from minimizing to the system tray every time.
    Quote Quote  
  19. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    i have to ask, why do you feel the need to convert your camcorder sourced mts files?
    I thought that to edit those .mts files, you had to convert them to some other format first. I tried editing .mts files in Windows Live Movie Maker, but it would only cut the video but not the audio, so I kept getting totally wrong audio after editing. I don't know of any other editing freeware that actually works and doesn't lie about being freeware.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by JohnnyGalaga View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

I don't see anything called a "hosts file" so I'm not what to do. But I do know that if you click on File > Settings > Overall > User Interface > Tray icon navigation, and choose the Disable tray icon radio button, that'll stop it from minimizing to the system tray every time.
    It's in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. Open it with Notepad or some other text editor. Add two lines like:

127.0.0.1 mc.broadintel.com
    127.0.0.1 www.mediacoderhq.com

The hosts file is the first place a browser looks for a DNS lookup. You won't be able to go to their web site or check for updates after that. I don't know if this will stop your firewall from notifying you of the attempt.

Of course, you could just tell your firewall to always block access to that site.
    Quote Quote  
  21. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I just went ahead and tried letting MediaCoder access the internet to see what happens. All it does is it opens a web browser to a page that asks for donations and recommends to use the setup wizard. It also mentions that the software author is Chinese. This is funny because any Chinese software I've seen was always very awkward and convoluted to use. The EasyPano Tourweaver Virtual Tour software is an example.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by JohnnyGalaga View Post
    Well, I just went ahead and tried letting MediaCoder access the internet to see what happens. All it does is it opens a web browser
    It's still annoying.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    I thought that to edit those .mts files, you had to convert them to some other format first. I tried editing .mts files in Windows Live Movie Maker, but it would only cut the video but not the audio, so I kept getting totally wrong audio after editing. I don't know of any other editing freeware that actually works and doesn't lie about being freeware.
    if your source is from a camcorder and uses an .mts container then the video is in mpeg-2 format and the audio is in lcpm, mp2 or ac3 format, you shouldn't have any problem editing them in any video editor, if an editor complains about the mts extension try renaming the source files with an .mpg extension.

i wouldn't be transcoding those files to anything before editing, more than likely you will degrade the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  24. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, no doubt. I'm trying Handbrake right now and it's working. It looks like you can just simply change the file extension to whatever format you want. Nice and simple! But it's slow. I hope I can get MediaCoder to work but I don't know how. Hopefully someone knows. We gotta figure out a way around the internet thing.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by JohnnyGalaga View Post
    I hope I can get MediaCoder to work but I don't know how. Hopefully someone knows. We gotta figure out a way around the internet thing.
    What do you mean by "a way around the internet thing"? The application starts minimized in the System Tray. All you need to do is click on the icon there.
    Quote Quote  
  26. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I mean a way to make it stop trying to access the internet. Well, it looks like handbrake will only recognize certain file types. If if you open an .mts file in Handbrake, it changes the file extension to .mp4. The only way to even open an .mts file is to right-click on it. If you try to use the Browse button, you get a directory prompt that doesn't even show files ending in .mts.

Well, it looks like this is going to just be a failure. No way to edit or convert camcorder files that end in .mts. I just don't understand how Canon can sell thousands or millions of these cameras and the files aren't even editable. LOL.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by JohnnyGalaga View Post
    The only way to even open an .mts file is to right-click on it. If you try to use the Browse button, you get a directory prompt that doesn't even show files ending in .mts.
    Type *.mts into the filename box and hit Enter. All the .mts files whill show up. Of if you know the name of the file start typing it in the filename box. A pulldown will appear that show files that start with those letters, even the ones that don't match the file type template.

Regarding your other problems opening MTS files, try installing:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Haali_Media_Splitter

That will let Windows know that MTS files are A/V files and give it the ability to open them.
    Quote Quote  
  28. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I managed to open an .mts file. Which of the 2 containers should I choose from the drop-down, "MP4 File" or "MKV File"?

And, how come there are different resolutions showing? For example, one part says "Display Size: 1870x 1062" and another part shows "Width: 1920 Height: 1062" (greyed out). The correct resolution is 1920 x 1080 with a frame rate of 60. Is there a way to just make it keep all the original attributes from the original .mts file?

And, do you happen to know if it can let you choose what file type you want (like .avi or .wmv, etc.) and if it can convert in batches?

Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	snap001.bmp
Views:	294
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	5179  

Quote Quote  
  29. I don't use Handbrake but it looks like it thinks there is a 50 pixel wide border at the left side of the frame and an 18 pixel border at the bottom. I would turn off the automatic cropping and set all 4 crop values to 0. Then encode with the original frame size, 1920x1080. Use whatever container (MP4, MKV) your playback device supports.
    Quote Quote  
  30. .mts File Hater JohnnyGalaga's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No idea how to do all that.
    Quote Quote