VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am seeking advice on an archiving project.
    I have a number (30 1 hour tapes) of Mini DV tapes dating back 7 or 8 years. I would like to archive on portable harddrives to preserve.
    I am trying to meet the following needs
    1-Would like to store with no loss of quality or minimal loss if there is a good compression option that does not limit future options in using the files. (Disc space not an issue given price of external hard drives)
    2-Would like to be able to watch directly from harddrive using devices like Apple TV or Western digital video player.
    3-Would like to be able to burn DVD's from master files as needed - could compress as needed at that time.
    4-Ideally use software and formats that are most likely to be around for a long time
    5-Ability to copy entire drives full of data to allow sharing copies with family members and back up as needed.
    6-Keep it as simple as possible. While I might do some editing in the future I just want to get all the raw data stored at this time. At this time just want to label each tape with dates.
    7-Prefer to work with PC system although Apple hardware available.

Next phase of project will involve doing the same for about 50 8mm video tapes (analogue) but I will tackle the digital tapes first

Thanks
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MiniDV to your computer via Firewire connection....no quality loss since it is a "data transfer". They will be big files though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok
    What software would you recommend for the transfer and organization of these files?
    I am using a pc with windows 7

Thanks for your help
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I believe WinDV is still around....a reliable freebie.
    Quote Quote