VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only see a few codec options, and none of them the video format that I want. This is the first time I've used any type of video software, so I'm pretty clueless as to why more options aren't showing up (compared to others I've seen). I downloaded the plugins, and I extracted the folders into the VirtualDub folder, as suggested. No changes, so I'm probably doing it incorrectly.

Here's a screenshot of the options.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remove all CODEC PACK installed, use CCLEANER and reboot . Install KLITE MEGA CODEC PACK 6.70 in fullmode (its include all codecs for you).

If use X64 OS, install K-lite 64 too.

Only this.

Link: http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_full.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    K-Lite is GARBAGE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    K-Lite is GARBAGE.
    Yes, for lame people only. I´m use K-lite for YEARS no have ANY problem but I know that many people have problems with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Don't install K-Lite. Install only the codecs you need. VirtualDub uses VFW codecs (Windows has two video subsystems, the older VFW and the newer DirectShow). If you are using 64 bit Windows you have the further complication that 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs, and 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs.

The codecs you are likely to want are Xvid, HuffYUV. Maybe Lagarith, Divx, Pic Video MJPEG, ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    K-Lite is GARBAGE.
    Yes, for lame people only. I´m use K-lite for YEARS no have ANY problem but I know that many people have problems with it.
    Let me quote that "lame" bit. Will come in handy when I report your post and then you get banned.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install Mega K-lite and Deselect ALL minus VFW video Codecs and ACM audio Codecs and next, next, next. End.

All codecs for you in ALL video editor, included VirtualDub and VH capture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    K-Lite is GARBAGE.
    Let me quote that "lame" bit. Will come in handy when I report your post and then you get banned.
    You got a problem? I did not call you a "lame", so that after my reply I said that I am aware that there are "people" who fight with K-lite, only this.

Unlike jagabo, he explained why not use the k-lite, you just posted something offensive to my answer.

If you do not want help, not hinder

PS: Unlike you, I just want to help and I will not report you, this time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    K-Lite sucks
    K-Lite BDOD
    K-Lite Windows crashes
    K-Lite deleted registry
    K-Lite crashed XP
    K-Lite corrupted codecs
    K-Lite crashed VDub
    K-Lite ate my homework
    K-Lite contains trojan

Google THIS...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    K-Lite sucks
    K-Lite BDOD
    K-Lite Windows crashes
    K-Lite deleted registry
    K-Lite crashed XP
    K-Lite corrupted codecs
    K-Lite crashed VDub
    K-Lite ate my homework
    K-Lite contains trojan

Google THIS...
    Thanks for the tips, but when I'm more interested in whether the topic author solved the problem.

Happy New Year my friend.
    Great 2011 to all!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Don't install K-Lite. Install only the codecs you need. VirtualDub uses VFW codecs (Windows has two video subsystems, the older VFW and the newer DirectShow). If you are using 64 bit Windows you have the further complication that 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs, and 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs.

The codecs you are likely to want are Xvid, HuffYUV. Maybe Lagarith, Divx, Pic Video MJPEG, ffdshow.
    Thanks, this worked. I installed the Xvid and HuffYUV codecs, as well as the Lagarith codec.

Happy new year.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You might find x264vfw useful too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install Mega K-lite .
    Advising somebody to install a codec pack shows a complete lack of understanding about video.
    This causes many conflicts and is adding a mess to a computer.

Installing a codec pack can be as damaging to the OS as malware.

Only install what is needed, and nothing more.
    To "play everything" use a codec-less (internal codec system) player like VLC or GOM.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 2nd Jan 2011 at 21:29.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You might find x264vfw useful too.
    I DL'd a video from Youtube with half the screen filled with an artificial background, and 19 minutes of silence tacked on the end. With the help of http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubffmpeginputplugin/files/V1835/ I was able to load this video into VirtualDub 1.10. Xvid was available and produced something watchable, half the pixels and without the 19 minutes of blank screen and silence. But the size was 3 times as big as the original MKV. Setting the Xvid to 7 instead of 4 did not make much difference.

So I thought about getting more up-to-date decoders and found this thread. I installed x264vfw which rates 4.7 stars, and encoded the same program with the default settings. There was a warning message about dropped frames, which I could understand in the context of streaming on a slow computer, but not in re-encoding in VirtualDub. The video re-encoding complete, but it was a disappointment. The filesize was almost as large as the Xvid. Sound had somehow degraded (strange, because Audio was on "Direct Stream Copy"), and the sound was no longer in sync.

Would it be better to save the file uncompressed, then use ??? to render the video in a contemporary and compact codec?
    --
    Grape
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I've answered my question. Instead of compressing the 80 MB, 19-minute video to 240-280 MB as above, I let VirtualDub save it uncompressed, almost 16 GB in size. I then encoded it to MKV in HandBrake, using the default Normal settings, and it came out at 84 MB, sound in-sync. Be careful with your disk space. Colour me happy.
    --
    Grape
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jbellies View Post
    I installed x264vfw which rates 4.7 stars, and encoded the same program with the default settings. There was a warning message about dropped frames, which I could understand in the context of streaming on a slow computer, but not in re-encoding in VirtualDub.
    VFW (used by may programs to deal with AVI) is not suited for h.264 compressed video. VFW uses a one-frame-in-one-frame-out model of processing. Codecs like h.264 that use out of order processing need special hacks to work around that limitation. You need to apply the "VirtualDub hack" or use other settings that avoid out of order processing. That's what the warning was about.
    Quote Quote