VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    happy new year to all videohelp forumers.

i have no luck finding a Sony DVD recorder with built-in hard drive. does anyone know where i can find one these days? refurbished would be fine with me. but i have searched online (even on ebay), but found nothing. i would love to have a similar unit like SONY RDR-HX950.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. As far as I know, this is the only such device still being made...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR515H-F7-500GB-HDD-and-DVD-R-with-Digital-Tuner/15080509

It's a nice machine. I have one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the link, DeepOne. luckily, i found one over at ebay... just about the same sony model i wanted. didn't realize DVD recorders are rarely sold these days. but appreciate your help. have a nice day!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD recorders are rarely sold in the USA - They are much more common in the rest of the world
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ione - Be careful when buying a DVD recorder. Many ebay sellers live in the USA and such recorders may only be able to play region 1 DVDs and record in NTSC mode. Your location is "Asia" so I don't know if you are in the PAL or NTSC part of Asia, but you also need to be aware that a DVD recorder sold for the American marketplace may only run on North American power (110V 60Hz). Very few DVD recorders can be made region free, so be sure you are getting a recorder you can actually use before you buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LG also makes one:

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tv-audio-video/video/index.jsp

Doesn't have the features nor reliability of the older Sony or Pioneer line but that's all for the market here....
    Quote Quote  
  7. http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm

is the type of route I would go. multi voltage, pal and ntsc, region free, if you want to go cheap and buy used-fine but its a minefield, also dvd recorder with hardd rives are plentiful in Singapore if that helps you
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, everyone, for being so helpful.

KBee
    - yes, i noticed that most sellers for dvd recorders are based in the UK and Australia. Sony Philippines used to carry dvd recorders but just don't know why they stopped doing so now. thank you for the info, btw.

jman98 - thanks for the heads-up. we are the same as that of the U.S. - Region 1 NTSC, 110v / 220 v. i currently use Sony RDR-VX555 purchased in the U.S., but it does not have the built-in hard drive i hope to have. hence the plan for an upgrade. but i never realized they are rarely sold in the U.S. now, perhaps because of TiVo?

oldfart13 - thank you for the link. how has LG recorders worked so far for you?

victoriabears - wow, i'm glad i asked. i never found this link on google. thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just searched for dvd recorders with hard drive region free on yahoo canada
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have an LG. Reports from Futureshop are mixed. Most people miss the older Sony and Pioneer decks that FS used to sell. I have Pioneer, Panasonic and Daytek recorders with HDDs....
    Quote Quote