VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to convert the chinese srt into a sub/sup file so I can mux them onto a HD movie file. I want the subtitles to look legitimate so I want the subtitles to be in HD. So far I can only find programs that can convert to chinese but very bad quality (subtitle creator) and convert to HD but are in gibberish (Clown_SRT2XMLSUB or SubConverter). Is there any way that this can be done without the headaches.

Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can only tell you that doing subtitle work in character sets other than Latin is rather difficult. Most subtitle utilities don't support Unicode, so that means that you usually have to do something like this.

Under Regional and Language Options in the Control Panel on Windows you have to go to Advanced and under "Select a language to match the language of the non-Unicode programs you want to use" you have to pick the appropriate Chinese language option. Then you will likely have to reboot and poof! Your PC now speaks Chinese. But the downside is that all your menus and program names may now be in Chinese so you better be able to read it yourself. Assuming you can read Chinese then you can start a subtitle program and try to get it to use Chinese characters and it may be able to create the output you want. I am not responsible for any side effects that happen if you try this method including any problems that may or may not happen to other non-subtitle programs as a result of trying this.

If you cannot read Chinese then you should NOT try what I talked about.

If you get this to work at all it could still be very time consuming.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Most subtitle utilities don't support Unicode
    Unicode has been around for 10 years, all major OSes support it now. If software publishers won't support it, they risk to be come obsolete. Especially when you deal with multi-language texts, like subtitle utilities. Those that don't support it, should get in the game, fast.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Most subtitle utilities don't support Unicode
    Unicode has been around for 10 years, all major OSes support it now. If software publishers won't support it, they risk to be come obsolete. Especially when you deal with multi-language texts, like subtitle utilities. Those that don't support it, should get in the game, fast.
    It's kind of hard to demand that writers of freeware do anything they don't want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jman98, your advice helped. I don't actually can't read chinese and I took the risk and all the menus remained in english. All the subtitles are shown in chinese using Clown_SRT2XMLSUB.
    Quote Quote