VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to have to ask this as I'm sure there are many threads covering this, but the search function doesn't work for me. It never actually displays results. All I get is a blank screen no matter what I search for so I have to ask. I'm trying to compress videos down to a smaller size without losing quality and I was wondering what program, codec and file format is best to do this. Most of the videos are either 640x480 vhs rips or 720x480 dvd rips. I may have a few HD 1280x720 files. I've tried making x264 and xvid avis with tmpgenc 4.0 xpress, but the file sizes ranged from 850mb to 1.5gb so I must be screwing up somewherebecause I see people rip bluray movies to mkv files and some of them rande from 300mb to 600mb. Is mkv the way to go or should I stick with avi?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for the xvid avi's from a dvd source..use AutoGK

if u wanna rip those same dvd files to mkv...u can use Handbrake or HDconvertToX

if u use HdConvertToX, read the directions at the help section in their forum for proper codec setup

The HD files i'm not sure what they are in terms of file structure...m2ts or mkv or...so I can't say 100% what u could use...but a sure bet would be HDconvertToX or Multiavchd..there are a myriad of choices from these 2 apps in which format u can choose from
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Two questions first:

What is your playback device?

What is your storage space availablity?

A third question is will this be on dvd or bluray discs or hard drives/thumbdrives/ipod-zune-mp3 players?

That will determine your needs. Each format has its own requirements. If its for a portable player you have to meet its requirements. If its for dvd or bluray there are specific requirements for those.

If you are playing back on a computer it can handle nearly anything. If you are using a wdtv media player it can handle nearly anything as well.

Please answer these questions and we can be more specific. Each format has its own "sweet spot" of what its best at. There really is no "best". Its more a matter of tradeoffs between quality, file size, and compatibility.

Edit - not losing quality is not always possible - there are usually tradeoffs involved. It depends on the format and destination and bitrate and resolution used.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the fast reply. My playback device is my desktop. Here's the specs:
    SuperMicro PDSMA+ Motherboard
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition Service Pack 2
    Intel Core2Quad Q6000 (2.4GHz, 8MB L2 cache)
    Dell IN1910N 19'' Flat Panel Monitor (Max Resolution 1366x768)
    1GB DDR2 RAM (Upgrading To 8GB Soon)
    80GB Western Digital Internal SATA Hard Drive
    Sony AW-Q170A 18x Internal DVD±R/RW Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128 PCI Graphics Card (will upgrade if I need to)
    Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM

I plan on purchasing a TV asap so I can use my pc and my wii on the same device. I'm not mounting it on the wall. I'm gonna sit the TV on my computer desk. I'm considering one of these:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Viore-LED24VF60/14237658
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Viore/13422975

Storage wise I'm very limited. I only have a 250GB external hard drive right now which is why I need to compress them. I don't plan on burning anything to dvd, bluray or use it with a mobile device. I just want to store them on my external drive and play them from there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I would seriously look into investing in larger hard drives. That way you don't have to convert anything. I'd try to stall the tv purchase and get a larger harddrive. It will save you lots of time and potential frustation by keeping the files as they are. That is honestly your best option.

And if you look around hard drives are very affordable. That would be my best advice for you.

Edit - as a short term gap solution why not burn unused clips to dvdr and delete them off your harddrive? That way when you do get more storage space you simply recopy the dvdr to the new harddrive. - burn as data not as a dvd - that way you don't need to convert just burn the original files.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Moontrash: I didn't even see your post when I replied last time. I wasn't trying to ignore you. Thanks for the advice. I'll try those.

@yoda313: I know I need more storage and actually I want more, but external hard drives in my area (Best Buy and locally owned PC Shops) range from $110 (500GB) to $220 (1TB Western Digital Or 1.5TB Seagate). That's kinda high isn't it?

I used to burn files to dvd, but the last 2 or 3 times I tried that I couldn't copy the files off of the dvds to view them. I thought it may have been the disc (sony) or my old burning program (nero) so that made me get the external drive. The TV isn't a mandatory thing. I will get that when I can. I just wanted to make sure that if I did convert any videos that It wouldn't look loke crap when I did get a tv.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1tb ext hd's for under $100

Newegg

500gb to 700gb drives for under $80

Newegg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ADRIAN2055 - Try using imgburn to burn the files instead (freeware). Also try different brand discs. Taiyo yuden or verbatim are considered the best by most users on this website.

edit - also you can play the files directly off the dvd you know.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I know, but that didn't work when I was using nero. I'll try imgburn from now on.

Thanks for those links Moontrash. WOW! They are cheap. I guess I've been under a rock. I see a 500GB drive in my future. One more quick question. Do you think an 80GB drive is enough for the OS to function or do I need to invest in a bigger one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have windows vista on a dual core pc and my main drive is only 67gb with a 1gb or two for the backup files.

Unless you plan on doing dual booting between more than one os that should be just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if your gna have another drive hooked up to store your stuff than yeah 80gb's is fine
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great! Thanks for al the help. I really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I'm using HandBrake with Default Setting "High Profile" for everything (DVD, Blueray, Recompession of avi/mkv/... where necessary, etc.). This gives a compression around 1:50(some Videos 1:87, others 1:30) and nearly no quality loss.

As much as I have seen, this is the best solution for a powerful PC, capable to play HD-H264-Videos.

My questions:
    • Do there exist better Codecs / Programs / Settings for this idea (Almost no quality loss, powerful PC)?
    • Why do you use HDconvertToX or Multiavchd instead of HandBrake for HD-Video?
    And once again: Thanks for all your infos in this and all the other threads!
    Bruno
    Last edited by BRotondi; 20th Jan 2011 at 17:09.
    Quote Quote