VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I just ripped 6 DVDs full of 78 episodes of Pocoyo for my son(also editing out the opening intro piece for every one of them with MPEG-VCR) and need to batch encode them to Xvid with MP3 audio(for my Trekstor HDD player attached to my TV). Any recommendations on which software to use? I've encoded tons of clips but never had to do so many at one time. My usual software for single conversions is VDub, AviDemux and occasionally MainConcept Reference. I've also used WinFF to do some conversions for iPod/iPhone stuff for friends. My main concern is keeping the correct aspect ratio as the clips play. Black bars on my non-widescreen TV are perfectly fine(preferable actually) to me.
    Any of my preferred softwares provide me with a semi-painless opportunity?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	batch.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	4908  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look at Handbrake v 0.9.3
    You can use it to create a batch file to do one file and then edit it to do them all automatically depending on your skill in the black art of batch file programming.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by IKnowNothing View Post
    Have a look at Handbrake v 0.9.3
    You can use it to create a batch file to do one file and then edit it to do them all automatically depending on your skill in the black art of batch file programming.
    Thanks for the tip. Looked promising until I got to the part where I'll need to re-type 78 file names since it doesn't seem to keep the original file name?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    WinFF handles batch jobs well.
    It has a pre-set for AVI XVID Widescreen.
    These are the parameters, but you can tweak them. For example, change the picture size.
    Test it with just one file before you do the batch.
    -f avi -r 29.97 -vcodec libxvid -vtag XVID -s 704x384 -aspect 16:9 -maxrate 1800k -b 1500k
    -acodec libmp3lame -ar 48000 -ab 128k -ac 2
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bat999 View Post
    Hi
    WinFF handles batch jobs well.
    It has a pre-set for AVI XVID Widescreen.
    These are the parameters, but you can tweak them. For example, change the picture size.
    Test it with just one file before you do the batch.
    -f avi -r 29.97 -vcodec libxvid -vtag XVID -s 704x384 -aspect 16:9 -maxrate 1800k -b 1500k

Thank You.
    1) What is the difference between "Widescreen" and "Widescreen Anamorphic" in the presets?
    2) What will changing the size to 704x384 do? Just to make the end result output size smaller or will that
    guarantee that I get the black bars?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

Thank You.
    1) What is the difference between "Widescreen" and "Widescreen Anamorphic" in the presets?
    2) What will changing the size to 704x384 do? Just to make the end result output size smaller or will that
    guarantee that I get the black bars?
    1) Anamorphic pre-set:-
    -f avi -r 29.97 -croptop 58 -cropbottom 62 -vcodec libxvid -vtag XVID -s 640x272 -aspect 2.35 -maxrate 1800k -b 1500k
    2) I don't know the answer without running a trial.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yea....I'll run some trials in the morning. Thank you for the help. Keep 'em coming in the meantime. I could just dump these MPEGs to the HDD but it's over 20 gigs. The HDD is not that big and my precious Top Gear episodes are on there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Looks like WinFF and the "Widescreen" preset is the winner.....although Widescreen Anamorphic looked pretty much the same to me. The Full Screen option was exactly what I was trying to avoid.
    Quote Quote