VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using a Sony DCR-TRV8 mini-DV camera to import video to the computer. When I first bought this camera, I was using the Pinnacle software and firewire card that I bought at the time. Since then, I have a newer computer with built in firewire. I have used a newer version of Pinnacle, but after importing the video, the playback looks terrible when there is motion such as the camera panning around.

The problem, I will call interlace line distortion for a lack of understanding, is that when I play back the file, the video has these lines that seem to delay the video playback when the camera was panning. It looks like half of the interlace pixels are delayed beyond the correct ones. This problem has plagued me for several years.

Does anyone else using this camera have this problem? I looked through the posts here and tried to update the codec to the cedocida_0.2.2 version and I have also tried to use the WinDV program. The interlace line distortion is still present.

I have not tried a different camera or a different cable. Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone seen this? It it just a bad camera firewire function? Playback from the camera on the viewscreen or through the TV cable seems to be just fine. It is only when I convert through the firewire cable.

Please help. I need to get 10 years of video converted before this camera dies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is normal. The "distortion" is a computer issue* not a camcorder issue. If you play to a TV you will see the video plays fine.

What you need is a deinterlacing software player such as MPC-HC or VLC (both free) which will detinterlace during playback. Best not to deinterlace the file itself to maintain top quality. Exception is for web upload.

* When played without deinterlace, a progressive computer monitor displays two fields at once causing the double vision issue you are seeing.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. edDV,

Thanks for the reply. I have been using VLC on my computer but was still seeing the problem. I discovered that the deinterlacing was off so I tried several settings. None of them produce a clean picture on my computer. I have not tried the other program you recommended so I will try that one tomorrow.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. VLC's Bob should be about the same as WMP's standard deinterlacing when playing DV AVI.
    Quote Quote