VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If I add subtitles to MKV file using MKVToolnix can I then remove them, edit them, resynchronize them or I have to make SURE the subs are perfect before I put them into the container?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can add them, and later remove them if they are not correct, then replace them with a better version. Repeat as necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. How long does the process take?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many programs and devices that accept MKVs will also accept external SRTs . If that is the case with your usage the best bet would be to include an internal one and for any updates to the SRT include it as an external SRT. Just make sure it has the same name as the the MKV and it is in the same folder. For external ones you can change them whenever you want without going back to the MKV.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just came across a media player that won't play external srt on mkv files.

Do you know how long the process takes?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know what you mean by how long it takes. I have both the WD and Seagate media players. Both play externals so do most of my computer video players . To change timing of SRTs most programs will do that in under a minute. To change the text, you can use subtitle programs or even use the windows notebook to make changes. Making changes in a SRT is usually also very quick. And if all else fails, with external SRTs you can always download an SRT from one of the many online sites.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  7. how long it takes to put the sub in the mkv container via mkvtoolnix.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drgt View Post
    how long it takes to put the sub in the mkv container via mkvtoolnix.
    Just a tiny bit more than a file copy. No encoding is done here; just putting pieces in the box.
    Quote Quote