VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just got the Sony BDV-E370, so far so good, however, no region free.

Does anyone have a code for it that works for the Canadian unit? So far I've found a few links, however, there were indications that it doesn't work for Canada, and for some reason requires a 3rd party remote rather than the one it came with.

Does anyone know how to region free the unit?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
    Just got the Sony BDV-E370, so far so good, however, no region free.

Does anyone have a code for it that works for the Canadian unit? So far I've found a few links, however, there were indications that it doesn't work for Canada, and for some reason requires a 3rd party remote rather than the one it came with.

Does anyone know how to region free the unit?
    From what I've seen, Sony players require a special programmable remote to make them multi-region - 'One For All' models are popular for this. However, not all Sony players can be made multi-region. I haven't come across any hacks that use the supplied remote.

This is a useful thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-player-multiregion-hacks/1178732-diy-sony-b...-manually.html
    particularly post #7
    EDIT: I should point out that although the hack is for a different model to yours, someone posted that it worked for their player:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-player-multiregion-hacks/1370584-region-hac...-bdv-e370.html

Be aware that multi-region hacks often make DVD playback multi-region, but won't allow you to play Bluray discs from other regions.
    Last edited by intracube; 28th Dec 2010 at 03:26.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not aware of even ONE Sony BluRay player sold in the USA and Canada that can be made region free through any means at all. The odds are not good.

Note that sometimes hacks only work on models sold in other parts of the world. The only currently working Sony hacks I have read about only work on models sold outside of North America. I suppose you could always try what's in the link posted by intracube, but do understand that the odds are against you. You should also understand that there is some risk of bricking your player with this kind of extremely complicated hack as the hack may simply not work at all on North American hardware or you could make a mistake and enter one number incorrectly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I know a guy who lives in London who told me that he bought a Sony player(not sure if it was DVD or Blu Ray) from the Sony Centre in London. He told the salesman that if it was(or could be made) region free....he would buy the player. The salesman took a new player to the back room....and a few minutes later brought the open box and a roll of tape(to close the box) and handed it to him....region free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ya I saw those ones with the 3rd party remotes (as per my OP) and I'm not sure why they'd do that.

I don't have many DVD's that are from another region but, just hoped to be able to plug in a code and not worry about it like my old LG DVD Player did.

Maybe I'll just burn them to new discs and hope the 'region free' option works when doing so.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're in Canada? Why didn't you just buy a Seiki BD660 from Wal-Mart? No problems with playing discs from any region with one of those or did you just HAVE to have a Sony?

Checked your player/system...

Okay...3D. Jury is still out on that one. Home theatre...best to buy separate I find and build a system rather than a prepackaged deal but you have what you have. Streaming I don't do since Canada is still in the dark ages for that stuff. Still might want to get that Seiki just for playback of other region discs as well as media from an NTFS hard drive. That's what I use mine for. The Sony will not play back most of the stuff the Seiki will as well, it won't accept an NTFS formatted drive for really big MKVs. Your mileage may vary...
    Last edited by oldfart13; 28th Dec 2010 at 11:28.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Um... not sure what to say to that other than what a very unhelpful post OldFart13.

Why didn't I buy a Pioneer? Toshiba? Philips? or LG?

Basically, never heard of a Seiki, the reviews I just read were mostly negative, the Sony cost $10 more on sale and has way more features. Seiki I'm reading is picky about batteries, heat issues, loud, and very few ethernet features.

I bought what I bought and aside from 1 flaw (multi-region), it's a great player.

The OP was about finding multi-region codes... not to see what player I should have bought instead.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Seiki was $58 last month during the Black Friday sale at Wally World. I should have bought a couple. Did you not read my review (updated here) or the one from the Redflagdeals site? They changed the guts of the machine so the overheating problem has gone away. What features on the Sony? MKV playback? RMVB, RM, WMV, Divx, Xvid, Mpeg, etc. plus playing off an NTFS drive (only the LGs and the Oppo can do this). I'm figuring the Seiki will go back on sale soon anyway. Then will be a good time to pick one up. You can still have the Sony and use the Seiki for anything it doesn't play. You can't have it all in a player unfortunately (which is why I have a number of players plus the computer depending on what I wish to watch).

Don't you follow the posts from hech54 and jman98? I think those guys are getting tired of the "I bought a Sony...how can I make it region free" posts which have seemingly dominated the site over the past year. Now that Boxing Week is in full swing I'm sure we'll start seeing a number of those same questions everyday for the next little while. Why don't you ask Sony why the decks aren't region free? Maybe you can ask parliament to pass laws like in Australia or New Zealand making it illegal to sell decks that aren't region free.

My only advice for anyone who wants region free and lives in Canada or the USA....don't buy a Sony!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    My only advice for anyone who wants region free and lives in Canada or the USA....don't buy a Sony!
    Good advice. Add Samsung to that recommendation on what NOT to buy if you want region free.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oddly enough, I only come to the site when I need to, I don't 'follow' anything.

That being said, still a lot of bad reviews, not really a fan of players (or any electronics) that are no-name brands with no real information aside from what you have to really dig for either. Implies a cheap brand that won't exist in a year if they can't even have a real website.

Regardless, the OP was for region-free codes... not a Sony vs Seiki match... don't thread-jack.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is my Sony Blu Ray Player BDV-E370 region free seeing I live in Australia? Just checking before I buy any Canadian or region 1 discs...
    Last edited by Cedes; 8th Mar 2011 at 03:31. Reason: weird letters next to my writing
    Quote Quote