VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My old Pioneer DV-343 region-free player and Sony DVD/HD RDR-HX900 recorder are both on the verge of breaking down at the same time (my other hacked Philips DVD recorder died months ago). I'd like to combine the conveniences of DVD recording and region-free playback, with or without a HD recorder present.

Is such a home theater deck available, hackable or not? I've seen some decks available from online dealers (including the one where I purchased the Pioneer deck back in 2001) but would be open to specific recommendations. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Saburo View Post
    My old Pioneer DV-343 region-free player and Sony DVD/HD RDR-HX900 recorder are both on the verge of breaking down at the same time (my other hacked Philips DVD recorder died months ago). I'd like to combine the conveniences of DVD recording and region-free playback, with or without a HD recorder present.

Is such a home theater deck available, hackable or not? I've seen some decks available from online dealers (including the one where I purchased the Pioneer deck back in 2001) but would be open to specific recommendations. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Unfortunately (as is pointed out here with some frequency), the DVDR is almost extinct in N. Amer., as a consumer product. That means it does not come down to finding one with "x", "y", or "z" features, but a major problem in finding any. Your (decent) options are pretty much hoping to find a used one in good condition on eBay, or a new Magnavox recorder from Walmart, while they are still available. There are a number of threads on this here. I don't think that region-free playback is going to be in the cards with a DVDR, past or present. For that, you still have some player-only possibilities. The ones I can vouch for are from the Oppo line, which tend to be pricey, but I believe there are several others.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Ao8xN2O0cH3y9HPMnb0BCd0t17V_?p=region+free+dvd+...8&fr=yfp-t-715

you only have to use a search engine, i would go for a panny or pioneer , bear in mind these will probably not have atuner suitable for usa use but you just use your cable box into the dvdr.

The Pioneers have lots of filters , adjustments etc
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800736506-USE/Panasonic_DMR_EH59GA_K_DMR_EH59GA_...B_HDD_DVD.html
    I have one of these and am quite happy. It's region free but has no US tuner, it works as a line input recorder for NTSC.
    My only complaint is the requirement for 0 IRE line inputs. Most DVD players have such a output but not many other devices. Feeding a recorder like this a +7.5 IRE output(N. American standard) will result in a slightly raised black level. Check out the first sticky post about IRE black level for more info on what this means. My post is one of the last ones.
    As VB said the international Pioneers let you choose the black level, or at least have adjustments to correct it. International Pios are much harder to find and cost considerably more.
    Quote Quote