VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi friends,

I want to hardcore subtitles to certain frames where different language other than English is used.so i cut these particular portion from these movies and hard cored subtitles using Xvid4psp.the problem is when i appended these edited portions to original clip the edited portion is not playing or it gets blurry.i don't want to re-encode and merge them as a single clip as it would degrade the video quality.plz tell me if it is possible to merge and play the movie as normal using any video tools or is there no way but to re-encode them.any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by kurian; 28th Dec 2010 at 21:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hardcode=reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i know i have to re-encode for hard coding subtitles.but i do it for certain frames only and then i append these hard coded portions to original clip using mkvmerge(tried with avidemux also).but resulting video is not playing properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kurian View Post
    H is there no way but to re-encode them.

If you can get the subtitles in a text format, such as SRT or ASS, you can just delete all the ones you don't want and save it as a new subtitle file.
    Use, eg, Subtitle Workshop to edit SRT subs.

You can add your new sub to the MKV, in addition to or instead of the original, maybe you can make it the default. No hardcoding subs or re-encoding of video required.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks alanhk for Ur reply!!but i want to hardcore subtitles.so i think there is no way that i can merge the hard-coded portions to original clip and see them as normal video
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks alanhk for Ur reply!!but i want to hardcore subtitles.so i think there is no way that i can merge the hard-coded portions to original clip and see them as normal video
    I doubt it.
    You haven't said what kind of video or how you play it, but every software player I know supports soft subtitles.
    You can use MKVmerge to add or replace subs in an MKV, for instance.
    I've used MKVextract to get soft subs out of an MKV to edit.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 26th Dec 2010 at 03:54.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I will provide you with samples that way you will understand my problem better

Video 1-Subtitle Hard cored video
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by kurian; 28th Dec 2010 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Video 2- Sample of original video to which hard coded video is to be appended
    Video 3- Resulted video file when appended video 1 and video 2(mkvmerge) which gets blurred or unwatchable at the portion where video 2 begins
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by kurian; 28th Dec 2010 at 12:46.
    Quote Quote  
  9. is there any way to merge video 1 and video 2 and play them as normal without re-encoding it which will degrade the quality of entire movie.plz suggest any methods to achieve this.i have been trying to do this for weeks.any help will be appreciated
    Last edited by kurian; 28th Dec 2010 at 21:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will provide you with samples that way you will understand my problem better

Video 1-Subtitle Hard cored video
    Sorry, I still don't understand why you insist on hard coding (= re-encoding) and making all these problems.
    If you are making MKV, anything that can play MKV can play soft subs and the video is untouched.
    Quote Quote  
  11. at least tell me if it's possible or not.is it because the bit rate of hard cored video is different from original video I'm not able to play it as a Normal file.plz reply
    Last edited by kurian; 29th Dec 2010 at 03:21.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't know exactly what it is but there's something different enough about the two videos that they can't just be appended -- at least with MMG. Video 1 is encoded with x264 with profile High@L4.0. Video 2 is encoded with an unknown encoder with profile High@L4.1. Otherwise they seem to be quite similar.

I'd try reencoding Video 2 with x264.

<edit>
    I tried reencoding Video 2 and appending that with the original Video 1 -- same problem. After reencoding video 1, then appending the reencoded Video 2 to the reencoded Video 1 the result played properly.
    </edit>
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Dec 2010 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
  13. thanks jagobo for ur reply.video 2 is a sample from the original clip to which subtitle hard corded video is to be added so i would have to re-encode the entire clip .it would be better to re-encode the subtitle hard coded clip to High@4.1.and then i will tell you the results
    Last edited by kurian; 29th Dec 2010 at 11:15.
    Quote Quote  
  14. encoded video 1 to High@4.1 and appended yet no change.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I had reencode both sample videos.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Quote Quote  
  17. so jagabo is it possible or not?????
    Quote Quote  
  18. If you encode both videos with the same encoder and similar settings, yet, it's possible.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you encode both videos with the same encoder and similar settings, yet, it's possible.

so is there any other method by which i can hardcore subs to certain portions of clip and append to original file and play as normal file.like superimpose or overlay text using avisynth(my imagination) or any other way other than re-encoding
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using Avisynth always involves re-encoding.

You haven't explained why you can't use soft subs, which would be the simplest solution.
    Your method should work in theory, but there is something about your video1 which makes it difficult to match its properties when encoding your video2. For that reason (and only that reason), you need to reencode video1 too.
    Quote Quote  
  21. by checking mediainfo of two videos and making them similar to each and every properties is it possible to append them????
    Quote Quote  
  22. MediaInfo doesn't tell you enough about the properties. Nobody (here, apparently) knows what it is about your original clip that makes it difficult to append to. Maybe it's encoded with open GOPs and the cut/paste editor can't handle that?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Nobody (here, apparently) knows what it is about your original clip that makes it difficult to append to.
    so u know any other forum or website where maybe i can get more help????
    Quote Quote  
  24. sorry !!!!i should have said this earlier i hard cored video 1 with xvid4psp with constant quality mode and value 21 with avc profile(high profile) and level(4.1).can this make any difference??
    Quote Quote  
  25. Reencode the video with subs, then without, both with xvid4psp and the same settings. Then cut/paste those two videos together. I would also try using closed GOPs.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    ==
    Last edited by zammil; 31st Dec 2010 at 10:47.
    Quote Quote  
  27. You might try encoding to MP4 rather than MKV. Then use YAMB or AviDemux or some other MP4 editor to cut/paste.
    Last edited by jagabo; 31st Dec 2010 at 10:31.
    Quote Quote  
  28. yes tried YAMB also but only the first portion is playing.VLC plays the two files in separte windows
    Quote Quote  
  29. looks like no help here in video help!!anyways thanks to jagabo
    Quote Quote