VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I don't know where to put this but I have a question.

Would the following setup be possible?

Video card -> DVD-I female output --> DVI-D male to HDMI female adapter --> HDMI male-to-male cable --> HDMI female input --> LCD Monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that should work most times as long as the DVI output includes a digital output, which DVI-I does. I have used a similar setup. You won't likely get audio with that setup, but you probably knew that. I have DVI-I on the back of my LCD monitor, but have a HDMI cable, so I'm going from a DVI-I to HDMI adapter on the back of the computer>HDMI cable>HDMI to DVI-I adapter to the LCD monitor. Works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Yes, that should work most times as long as the DVI output includes a digital output, which DVI-I does. I have used a similar setup. You won't likely get audio with that setup, but you probably knew that. I have DVI-I on the back of my LCD monitor, but have a HDMI cable, so I'm going from a DVI-I to HDMI adapter on the back of the computer>HDMI cable>HDMI to DVI-I adapter to the LCD monitor. Works fine.
    Correction, the DVD-I female output on the video card is actually a female DVI-I Dual Link.

As for your "DVI-HDMI-DVI" cable setup, is there a performance improvement as opposed to a single DVI-I/D cable?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No noticeable improvement or decrease in quality. There really shouldn't be as both are just wires. The length of the run and the quality of cable and connectors would make a bigger difference. I have a 45' HDMI run to my projector and a the 20' DVI>HDMI>DVI run to my LCD monitor. I use some of the better quality cables from MonoPrice and I would recommend them for both the price and the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have another question, since the the back of my comp has a DVI-I Dual Link female output, for the DVI-HDMI adapter, would it be better if the adapter's DVI male was I dual or D Dual?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post
    I have another question, since the the back of my comp has a DVI-I Dual Link female output, for the DVI-HDMI adapter, would it be better if the adapter's DVI male was I dual or D Dual?
    The DVI-I has many pins for various connections. The HDMI adapter (or cable) only connects to the DVI-D single link pins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sldldvi.jpg
Views:	39360
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	4799

It gets more complicated for "dual link" which no HDTV cares about.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    The HDMI adapter (or cable) only connects to the DVI-D single link pins.
    What if I find a HDMI adapter that connects to the DVI-D dual link pins?

[QUOTE=edDV;2042200]
    [Attachment 4799 - Click to enlarge]

I don't get it.

I'm using a monitor, not an HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I don't get it.

First, no HDTV set allows dual link in. They are limited to HDMI v1.4max spec.

A dual link computer monitor can exceed 1920x1080 but if the source is less, that would require upscale which is lossy.

Define your source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on your source. Upscale doesn't add quality.

Do you have access to 4Kx2K source or higher?

PS: There is such a thing as dual link HDMI (29 pins vs 19) but nobody is using it. Are you saying you have a monitor with 29 pin HDMI (Type B) connectors?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
    Last edited by edDV; 22nd Dec 2010 at 03:09.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

I don't get it.

A dual link computer monitor can exceed 1920x1080 but if the source is less, that would require upscale which is lossy.

Define your source.
    Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on your source. Upscale doesn't add quality.

Do you have access to 4Kx2K source or higher?

PS: There is such a thing as dual link HDMI (29 pins vs 19) but nobody is using it. Are you saying you have a monitor with 29 pin HDMI (Type B) connectors?
    I don't know. Probably not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most dual link computer monitors connect with dual link DVI-D not dual link HDMI. Such monitors exceed 1920x1080 resolution and are used for CAD or movie resolution 2D/3D graphics.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I don't get it.

Define your source.
    Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT
    I meant video source file format.

Some GeForce 6800 GT cards have dual link, others don't. What is your monitor?
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/59696,nvidia-geforce-6800-gt.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most dual link computer monitors connect with dual link DVI-D not dual link HDMI. Such monitors exceed 1920x1080 resolution and are used for CAD or movie resolution 2D/3D graphics.
    My monitor doesn't exceed 1920x1080, which means I should probably use a DVI-D single link to HDMI female adapter to connect the HDMI cable to the monitor?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM

I don't get it.

Define your source.
    Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT
    I meant video source file format.

Some GeForce 6800 GT cards have dual link, others don't. What is your monitor?
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/59696,nvidia-geforce-6800-gt.aspx
    Video source file format is MKV.

Monitor = ASUS VH242
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no advantage connecting a 6800 GT to a VH242 using HDMI. Normal connection is DVI-D to DVI-D. HDMI v1.1 and DVI-D single link are electrically identical.

That monitor does not support dual link but if it did it would only be available on the DVI-D connection and the cable would need to connect the dual link pins. The HDMI v1.1 (19 pin) connector does not support dual link.

Dual link is only used to run monitor resolutions higher than 1920x1080p.

PS: Your monitor only supports HDMI v1.1 single link. The HDMI v1.3 and v1.4 single link standards allow resolutions higher than 1920x1080 without need for the dual link pins. They accomplish this with greater bit rates on existing pins.
    Last edited by edDV; 22nd Dec 2010 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no advantage connecting a 6800 GT to a VH242 using HDMI. Normal connection is DVI-D to DVI-D. HDMI v1.1 and DVI-D single link are electrically identical.
    Despite the lack of advantage, out of curiosity, what happens if I tried to plug HDMI 1.3 male output to to the monitor's HDMI 1.1 female input?

That monitor does not support dual link but if it did it would only be available on the DVI-D connection and the cable would need to connect the dual link pins. The HDMI v1.1 (19 pin) connector does not support dual link.

PS: Your monitor only supports HDMI v1.1 single link. The HDMI v1.3 and v1.4 single link standards allow resolutions higher than 1920x1080 without need for the dual link pins. They accomplish this with greater bit rates on existing pins.
    OK. Allow me rephrase you:

How I would know which HDMI version an LCD monitor supports would be their maximum supported resolution. So for instance, if it's higher than 1920x1080, it would most likely support HDMI 1.3 or 1.4? Even then, a DVD-D Dual link connection is unnecessary.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for going off tangent here, but is there a significant/noticable difference between expensive and similar cheap HDMI cables?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Despite the lack of advantage, out of curiosity, what happens if I tried to plug HDMI 1.3 male output to to the monitor's HDMI 1.1 female input?
    It would only work for the modes supported by v1.1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

How I would know which HDMI version an LCD monitor supports would be their maximum supported resolution. So for instance, if it's higher than 1920x1080, it would most likely support HDMI 1.3 or 1.4? Even then, a DVD-D Dual link connection is unnecessary.

You read the monitor spec sheet to determine HDMI version support and supported resolutions. These are usually in the manual.

Most computer monitors that support resolutions higher than 1920x1080 use DVI-D dual link. HDMI v1.3, v.1.4 are rarely supported by display cards or computer monitors. You must read the specs for supported modes (e.g. xvYCC, 3D).

Note that a monitor's HDMI version number does not mean all modes possible for that version are supported. You need to see spec for each feature.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.png
Views:	25958
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	4824
    Last edited by edDV; 23rd Dec 2010 at 17:42.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Both the LCD monitor and HDMI 1.3 cable will still work together, despite that the LCD is only working in the v1.1 mode?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM

You read the monitor spec sheet to determine HDMI version support and supported resolutions. These are usually in the manual.

Most computer monitors that support resolutions higher than 1920x1080 use DVI-D dual link. HDMI v1.3, v.1.4 are rarely supported by display cards or computer monitors. You must read the specs for supported modes (e.g. 3D).
    Thanks for the tip.

I'll be sure to look out for these particular specs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for going off tangent here, but is there a significant/noticable difference between expensive and similar cheap HDMI cables?
    True v1.3x v1.4 cables need to be tested to spec. If you are going to use the advanced features, make sure the cable carries the proper HDMI certification. That doesn't mean non-certified cables won't work.

Read this.
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/hdmi-spec-versions.htm?hdmidept
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Both the LCD monitor and HDMI 1.3 cable will still work together, despite that the LCD is only working in the v1.1 mode?
    Yes the versions are backwards compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But I can still use an HDMI 1.3 cable to connect an HDMI v1.1 LCD monitor to the back of another video card's HDMI 1.3 female output and it will work as normal?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But I can still use an HDMI 1.3 cable to connect an HDMI v1.1 LCD monitor to the back of another video card's HDMI 1.3 female output and it will work as normal?
    Yes. All the HDMI cables have 19 pins/wires and work at v1.1 level.
    Quote Quote