VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    is there a simple way to edit the font size of an .srt file?
    I tried it through the video player on my computer (SMPlayer http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/). The problem is that the .srt file remains unchanged and when I try to watch it on TV the font size is too small.

I would appreciate if you could recommend some free software for this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check the settings/preferences for SMPlayer and your TV, and see if they allow you to change the displayed font size. SRT subtitles are plain text/ASCII, and do not normally support formatting (different fonts, font styles, color, positioning, etc.).

If your TV doesn't support changing the size, you can always hardsub the video - making the subtitles a permanent part of the video image/stream (and hopefully increasing the size before you encode them into the video ), but you won't be able to switch them on/off in that case, and there are other downsides to that method (you have to re-encode, for example, taking a quality hit).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Ai Haibara,
    changing settings for SMPlayer works, but I can't change settings for my TV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. SRT format doesn't support fonts. Ie, you can't specify the font properties within the SRT file. The player decides what font is used. If your TV doesn't give you any options there's nothing you can do. Except convert it to a different format that the TV supports (one that does have font support, or is image based instead of text based).
    Quote Quote