VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. All,
    I am trying to synch a DVD movie which has spanish audio dubbed. It was originally a hollywood production originally shot in English (it has not be released on DVD in the english speaking world yet!). I have a VHS version as well that has the english audio. My goal is to strip the dubbed spanish audio and replace with the english audio from the VHS...

My issue is that the DVD version with spanish dubbed audio is about 5 mins shorter than the VHS version...Point worth noting is that NO scenes have been cut...so it is a playback speed issue where the VHS version plays slower than the DVD version.

I managed to synch the beginning of the spanish audio to the english audio (based on some specific background sounds) and when I do just that the english audio lasts 5 mins longer than the spanish audio.

I went one step further and used the "Time Stretch" option within Soundforge and try and make the audio "stretched down" to match the exact size of the spanish audio. BUT I still see issues with the audio synch...it starts out fine and then about half way into the movie I can see places where the audio is upto 4 seconds off and then around 3/4th of the movie it is about 2 seconds off and by the end it is of by about a second...so as you can see I have varying synch issues - it is not consistently increasing or decreasing.

Can any expert here please recommend a good way to solve this problem...I thought of one way which is to synch parts of the movie until the synch issues start and cut out the correctly synched portion and save as a seperate WAV file...then start with the next portion of the movie - synch it up...cut out a portion in synch and save as a WAV....essentially keep repeating this process where I have a series of WAV files and then i finally thread these WAV's into a single file...Is there a better way to do this.

Also, I am open to other software's that people recommend may be better...so if you feel there is a better software to do this better please feel free to recommend.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandeyrajiv View Post
    All,
    I am trying to synch a DVD movie which has spanish audio dubbed. It was originally a hollywood production originally shot in English (it has not be released on DVD in the english speaking world yet!). I have a VHS version as well that has the english audio. My goal is to strip the dubbed spanish audio and replace with the english audio from the VHS...

My issue is that the DVD version with spanish dubbed audio is about 5 mins shorter than the VHS version...Point worth noting is that NO scenes have been cut...so it is a playback speed issue where the VHS version plays slower than the DVD version.

I managed to synch the beginning of the spanish audio to the english audio (based on some specific background sounds) and when I do just that the english audio lasts 5 mins longer than the spanish audio.

I went one step further and used the "Time Stretch" option within Soundforge and try and make the audio "stretched down" to match the exact size of the spanish audio. BUT I still see issues with the audio synch...it starts out fine and then about half way into the movie I can see places where the audio is upto 4 seconds off and then around 3/4th of the movie it is about 2 seconds off and by the end it is of by about a second...so as you can see I have varying synch issues - it is not consistently increasing or decreasing.

Can any expert here please recommend a good way to solve this problem...I thought of one way which is to synch parts of the movie until the synch issues start and cut out the correctly synched portion and save as a seperate WAV file...then start with the next portion of the movie - synch it up...cut out a portion in synch and save as a WAV....essentially keep repeating this process where I have a series of WAV files and then i finally thread these WAV's into a single file...Is there a better way to do this.

Also, I am open to other software's that people recommend may be better...so if you feel there is a better software to do this better please feel free to recommend.

Thanks
    You probably have to do it the hard way. Set key frame (M key) markers at intervals and speed correct that segment. Preview for lip sync then move to the next segment. If you still have lip sync error, divide into smaller segments.

Or you can get fancy and non linear spline your audio speed as an event FX.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps PluralEyes might work for you. Haven't used it myself however.

http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

GA
    Quote Quote