VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently posted a question about whether a PAL capable DVD player would require a PAL TV. Then, while perusing my TV manual, I discovered that it has an RGB input to connect the monitor output from a PC.

So, I'm wondering - since I can watch PAL discs played on my computer and its monitor (a Samsung SyncMaster731N), if I connected the RGB output on the computer to the RBG input on the TV, would I be able to watch the PAL discs on the TV (an LG32LB9D)?

Also, in my TV manual are three charts titled "Supported Display Specifications" - one chart each for "RGB/HDMI-PC", "HDMI-DTV", and "Y,Cb/Pb,Cr/Pr" (sorry, I couldn't figure a way to put the Bs and Rs in subscript). Each chart lists a Horizontal Frequency (Khz) and a Vertical Frequency (Hz) for each of a number of different resolutions. For example, in the chart titled "RGB/HDMI-PC", for the resolution 1280x768, the Horizontal Frequency is 60.289 and the Vertical Frequency is 74.893.

On the page showing the RGB connections, the manual states "This TV provides Plug and Play capability, meaning that the PC adjusts automatically to the TV's settings."

So, will connection the RGB output to the RGB input enable me to watch PAL discs on theTV? Will I need some kind of card installed in the computer? Or will I need a converter between the computer and the TV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD/Blu-Ray players and computer display cards are separate technologies.

A computer display card usually outputs 60 or 59.94 Hz fixed. "PAL" 25/50 Hz files or discs are resampled in resolution and frame rate to your display card output setting. Yes quality is lost in the resolution and frame rate conversion. The good news is the TV sees the display card output as 59.94 Hz so it will play without any "PAL" capability. Output connection method is irrelevant.

USA TV "PAL" support is hit and miss and involves several issues. The #1 issue is specific manufacturer's (e.g. Sony, Samsung) actively prevent any 25/50 Hz playback as a business decision. This is mostly to prevent geographic trans-shipment (re-export). I'm not sure if LG does this.

A true PAL signal is classic analog 625 line/50Hz. This requires an analog PAL decoder to convert to Y, Pb, Pr.

"PAL" MPeg/DVD/Blu-Ray isn't really PAL. It is digital component Y, Cb, Cr at 25 frames per second (50 fields). To display these media, an analog PAL decoder isn't required. The TV just needs to support 25i or 50p. Some US model TV sets will support these frame/field rates. My Philips "HD Ready" CRT TV will play 25/50 analog or digital component but lacks an analog PAL decoder.

Some TV sets, mainly those Chinese/Taiwan 2nd tier brands support 25/50 and/or analog PAL decoding. This is because they want to make one design that can be shipped world wide. I have two Vizios that fit this category and display anything. Other Vizios may vary.

The only way to test a TV for "PAL" is to connect a PAL player with analog PAL composite or 25i YPbPr outputs and see what happens. Another added test is attempt playback of 720x576i, 1280x720p, 1920x1080i 50 Hz files from a USB flash drive.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ibzomie View Post
    So, I'm wondering - since I can watch PAL discs played on my computer and its monitor (a Samsung SyncMaster731N), if I connected the RGB output on the computer to the RBG input on the TV, would I be able to watch the PAL discs on the TV (an LG32LB9D)?
    Yes. As long as your graphics card can output what the TV wants. Which is highly likely.
    Quote Quote