VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've posted a comment in (about) latest MKVtoolnix version behaviour:

When muxing i.e. h264+ac3+srt, then at each input file one can (should) also specify Language. The problem is, if I specify i.e. English language for video and audio stream, this setting somehow isn't written into final mkv file (however, language setting for srt file is written). I've checked this with MediaInfo, after my TV (LG LE8500) refused to play mkv files (directly via USB), which were created with MKVtoolnix v4.30.
    Then I've downloaded older MKVtoolnix v3.40, remuxed the same way (as previously with v4.30) and this time Language tags are written into final mkv file -and my TV plays such file without a problem.
    I've read somewhere, one should disable compression for versions 4.00 and above. I did that, but didn't help -so this wasn't the problem.
    I assume, v4.40 has the same problem, but I can't confirm that (I've removed v4.40 and replaced with v4.30, before doing research).
    Btw. I've also noticed, that mkv file muxed with older v3.40 is a tinny bit larger (about 500kb) than file comming from newer v4.30 -but it works.

A wish: I'd like to try something out (related to my TV's subtitle support)... Question: Is it somehow possible to mux srt file into mkv in ANSI instead being automatically encoded in UTF8?

I've got a "reply" there from XhmikosR (thanks). The hints he gave me are as follows:
    As for the subtitles, RTFM, format specific options-->Charset.
    -AFAIK, this option is ment only for input (so MKVtoolnix knows in what format srt file is written). When muxed into MKV (according to MKVtoolnix help file), srt is automatically into UTF-8. Even this is correct according to MKV specification, my question is, is it possible to "tweak" this (so srt file remains unchanged when muxing).
    As for your mkv's not playing, RTFM, extra options for the audio stream-->compression none.
    -as can be read in my comment above, I did that without success.

Summary (from my comment): I don't say MKV files muxed with v4.30 don't play just because there's Language tag missing. IMO, something else must be missing. Missing Language tag was only something I could see, when I compared result comming from v4.30 and (older) v3.40.
    As it is now, I'm happy with old 3.40 version. My intention was mainly to notify MKVtoolnix makers, there's something wrong in recent versions.

Thanks for reading,
    Bogdan
    t

Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by hbx2006 View Post
    my TV (LG LE8500) refused to play mkv files (directly via USB), which were created with MKVtoolnix v4.30
    For a while (4.30) MMG defaulted to header compression -- many devices can't handle that. Maybe that's the source of your problems? I think 4.4 reverted back to no header compression by default.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, it just provides an option to allow you to set it by default... it still defaults to using the compression, if you don't set it.

* mmg: new feature: Added an option to disable extra compression when adding tracks by default.
    mkvtoolnix's author is still insistent upon enforcing the header compression specification, last I checked. (Why nobody 'enforced' it long ago if it's part of the specification, I don't know...)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    No, it just provides an option to allow you to set it by default... it still defaults to using the compression, if you don't set it.
    Ah, yes. It's:

File -> Options -> MMG -> Disable Header Removal Compression...
    You have to restart MMG for th efile to take effect. The difference between enabling and disabling it is something like 0.04 percent in the final file size.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Dec 2010 at 23:00.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Before continuing: I'm not an mkv expert -just average user

This time I've used latest (v4.40) MKVtoolnix where I have disabled header compression (menu File-Options). As mentioned, now compression defaults to None for video and audio track -however, it's still empty (undefined) for srt track. I leaved that as it was, and muxed.
    Afterwards I've checked for Language tag in header and it still wasn't there -even I've set both (audio and video) to English before muxing. Using header editor I've set both to English and mkv plays fine on my TV set.

Greetings,
    Bogdan
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just mux'd some random (English) SRT subs into an MKV with MMG 4.4.0, flagged as English and French. MediaInfo (0.7.35) reported the languages as flagged. MPCHC showed there were two subtitle tracks, English and French.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Dec 2010 at 06:49.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I was talking about video and audio tracks which don't contain Language tags (srt tracks do contain Language tag as selected). Sorry for confussion...

Bogdan
    Quote Quote  
  8. I applied language tags to the video and audio streams and MediaInfo shows them all:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mi.png
Views:	233
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	4737
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Dec 2010 at 13:08.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Yes, I've noticed that recent MediaInfo (i.e. latest 07.37) will show Language tag for video/audio even if tags aren't defined (I can only speculate why's that).
    Open MKVtoolnix (latest v4.40) and use menu File-Header editor (or use mkvinfo.exe directly). Now check for language tags again and you'll see, tags aren't defined.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The languages show up in the header editor when I use it:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	header.png
Views:	230
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	4741
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi jagabo,

Thank you for reply and you finding about Language tag. Now, I only have last question... how about if Language tag is set to English when muxing with MKVtoolnix v4.40?
    Let me explain why I ask this.. my workflow usually goes as:
    1. Extraxt all needed tracks from MKV (usually h264 and dts only),
    2. Find srt file for my language,
    +convert dts to ac3 (I have my reasons for doing this),
    3. Mux all needed files (h264+ac3+srt) into new mkv (in 99%, video/audio is english, srt is my native language).

When doing as described above, Language tag doesn't exist in my final mkv.
    Per mkv specification, Language tag doesn't need to be defined. In case Language tag isn't defined, English language is assumed automatically (according to mkv specs) -that's why (I assume) MediaInfo will show English language even if tag isn't defined.
    At the end, I'm not really complaining.. as said, now, muxed with MKVtoolnix 4.40, my files play without problems. On the other hand, if I set Language to English, then tag value should be written -just my humble opinion.

Thank you for reading.. have a nice day,
    Bogdan
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, you are right. When you set a track to english it doesn't explicitly store the "eng" tag in the header, just in the individual stream. You should contact the author if you think that should be changed. Seems reasonable to me.
    Quote Quote