VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to get into my add/ remove programs file and get the above error. I had a virus a while back and think I may have accidently got rid of it as well as the virus. Any one have any help for me
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've also seen that problem caused by the registry getting screwed up after removing malware. Here is a reg file that has worked for me in the past.
    Image Attached Files
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! Thanks for the help, working on it now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I didn't get to work on the issue a whole lot until now, but I downloaded the registry easy and ran the scan, even upgraded to fix "all" the errors and still no luck I have searched for the file and can't find it any where in my computer. I found 2 CD's that came with my computer which is a Dell with XP. One disk says "OPERATING SYSTEM" Reinstallation CD Windows XP Service Pack 2... the other says Dell DRIVERS AND UTILITIES Contents Device drivers and Diagnostics and utilities. Which do I use?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it's windows XP you are dealing with start - > sfc /scannow and let XP repair itself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, I typed that in run, but a box flashes up for a second then dissappears. You can't even see what is in the box it's just a flash.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might need to run it as administrator.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok.... I ran it, had to put in my XP cd, loaded it. Then it went to restart. When it goes to log on, it goes to my desktop (with no icons) and stops loading. Tried to enter in safe mode (which I can do) and restore to an earlier time and it says there are no prior restore points. Now what, any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may need to wait longer, there can be a bit of a delay after using restore points, why not after a system scan. I don't remember ever having to reboot after a system file scan.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It has been over 1/2 hour and it never rebooted. Any ideas on what I need to do now? When it starts to log on it says "Windows Product Activation" This copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now....yes or no.... either answer stalls my computer and does nothing else!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You may have to reinstall XP from scratch. If you have a true XP install disc you can try to boot it and go to recovery mode and see if it will do anything. I haven't had much success with that, but it does sometimes work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I have rebooted it a couple times and did it again with the disk in and it brought up my desktop with icons. However, when I click on anything it locks up. If I have to start from scratch, how do I get rid of what is on here?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're going to start from scratch, boot from the installation cd, go through like you are going to install it for the first time, when it comes to it you'll need to remove the primary partition (the one with windows on it) and then go forward and install windows. This will both clear everything from your hard drive, and give you a fresh start.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just curious but did you even try the exe reg fix i posted? Hell at this point it certainly can't hurt.

Just import the file with regedit.exe and click yes when asked if you want to add the info to the registry. It wil only take a few seconds to try.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do I use the Drivers and Utilities CD? Freebird. Yes, I tried the exe reg fix after I did the registry cleaner download had no luck with either. That's when I tried to reload the XP cd. I can't run it now because my computer is froze anytime I click on anything. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the exe reg fix in safe mode and was able to run it still with no luck Trying to install windows xp AGAIN! If this doesn't work do I put in the Drivers and Utilities CD? Do I need to push f8 or anything at start up? When I log on in regular mode it just freezes and does nothing, but I don't think it'll let me run the drivers and utilities cd in safe mode.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by BLSAMPLES View Post
    Ok, I have rebooted it a couple times and did it again with the disk in and it brought up my desktop with icons. However, when I click on anything it locks up. If I have to start from scratch, how do I get rid of what is on here?
    Did you first go into the BIOS and set your optical drive as first boot device? I get the impression you didn't.

Personally, I'd try a repair install, nothing to lose by trying it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, tried to repair install, still freezes did not change anything. So I was going to try to do a total reinstall with the XP CD and it asks we in what partition. It says set up Windows XP on select item, create a partition in the unpartitioned space or delete the selected partition.
    it has C: Partition1 (NTFS) 152617 MD (79500) free
    or unpartitioned space 8MB.....what do I do?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Choose "set up Windows XP on select item" and pray that it's not destructive. It shouldn't be, but again this is Windows so it's unfortunately possible.

If there is anything on the disk drive that you cannot live without if it was wiped, you need to get help getting that off the drive before you try this. If you don't have PC guru friends who can help you then you'll need to pay someone like the Geek Squad to get stuff off the drive for you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. If you are using the Dell XP Disc on a Dell you should never be prompted for the product key or see the activation request.

If you are using it on a different brand you can see problems.

You would want to use the larger partition C: to install. The drivers disc is for the model Dell it came with to install the hardware drivers after the XP is loaded.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Delete the primary partition, after which it will reformat cleaning your hard drive.
    Name:  partition delete.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  17.8 KB
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, I deleted that partion and reinstalled xp, then loaded my device/drivers cd and loaded in order listed on Dells website for my computer the vostro 1500 with windows XP. Everything seems to be working perfect except for my ability to scroll down. It is very slow to scroll up or down. Pages load quickly as well as programs. Any more ideas. You guys have been a huge help. Thanks for all the infor you've already given me!
    Quote Quote  
  23. You now need to windows update to load all of the relevant updates for your operating system, go into control panel/windows update to check it is set to download updates automatically, once the downloads are complete and installed your scrolling problem will be a thing of the past
    I've just won the lottery, what would i want with a bitch like you.

csi crime scene
    Quote Quote