VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I use TVersity to stream my media locally to my PS3 and now over the internet to my HTC G2. I'm having a hard time figuring out what format to use to achieve the best compromise of quality and speed. Even with 3G/HSPA+ I can't just stream a 1.5gig, hour and 30 minute video smoothly. I also get an "illegal file" error when trying to stream .avi's.

I am using Handbrake to encode using H.264 in an .mp4 container. My phone's resolution is 480x320 but I don't want to encode everything to that resolution because at home via my PS3 I watch on a 42inch HD tv.

Can anyone suggest a good compromise between file size, resolution, compression, etc? I have the latest version of Handbrake and TVersity. Ideally I would like the source material to be in the highest possible resolution and have TVersity downsize it for streaming to my phone only while sending the high reso to the HD TV. I have not had much luck getting TVersity to transcode on the fly. My computer has plenty of resources for it, I just don't think I have the program configured properly.

Any ideas, suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much and Happy Holidays,
    LaxerFL

ps, pretend I'm an idiot and that I need everything spelled out, lol! Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LaxerFL View Post
    I am using Handbrake to encode using H.264 in an .mp4 container. My phone's resolution is 480x320 but I don't want to encode everything to that resolution because at home via my PS3 I watch on a 42inch HD tv.
    You'll need to encode twice. One optimized for 480x320 and another for your HDTV.

Alternate for a single file is to find the limit for the HTC G2 (maybe 480x480 or 640x480 at supported bit rate) and live with lower quality on your HDTV. That will require experimentation.
    Last edited by edDV; 11th Dec 2010 at 13:55.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was slowly coming to that conclusion... Thanks for the input. I think I'll setup an experiment today and encode the same clip a few different ways and see what works best. I've kind of been doing that but a little willy-nilly.

Thanks,
    LaxerFL
    Quote Quote