VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I know a standard DVD is 480p and most players can upscale them to 720p. Can you also convert the original 480p movie file to 720p? I can't see how it would look good going from 720x480 to 1280x720.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ally68 View Post
    I know a standard DVD is 480p and most players can upscale them to 720p. Can you also convert the original 480p movie file to 720p? I can't see how it would look good going from 720x480 to 1280x720.
    You can but why? Just making the file larger.

There is software that will attempt enhancement while upscaling but hardware upscalers found in DVD players and HDTV sets do a better job and in realtime.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't know if it would distort the image in any way by converting to 720p.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can upscale 480p in software better than any hardware but it's time consuming and you'll have to use a high bitrate when encoding. In the end you'll have a larger file that's a little sharper and (hopefully) not full of jagged buzzing edges, not real HD. It's generally not worth the time and effort when you can get acceptable results from an upscaling player or HDTV.

See NNEDI, NNEDI2, and NNEDI3 for AviSynth:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=147695

Or look in to MSU's Super Resolution filter, Ifognition's Video Enhancer, and other super resolution scalers. Be aware that the examples they show are cherry picked.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Dec 2010 at 17:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    True, software can duplicate realtime hardware but in exchange for hours of processing. Cutting edge upscale algorithms can be tested first in software, then implemented in realtime hardware. Some algorithms can only be implemented in software.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hardware is always years behind software. Though, like you said, the point of hardware is faster processing for realtime usage.

Another problem you're likely to run into is that the sources (DVD) are compressed and full of artifacts to begin with. Upscaling will often exacerbate those artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Does encoded movies also upscale on dvd players? Like DivX and Xvid files...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Ally68 View Post
    Does encoded movies also upscale on dvd players? Like DivX and Xvid files...
    Yes.
    Quote Quote