VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey all, I'm really new to ffmpeg and ffmpegX, so forgive me if i'm saying horrible things...

I make a dvd magazine every 2/3 months, and so far I've been exporting everythin with adobe media encoder, and I reached a very good DVD quality after messing around a bit with the settings.

then I went crazy with these 40 hours encoding, and decided to make the move to ffmpeg, through ffmpegX. and wow what a difference in time !

however all the encoding i tried gave the same results, which are something i used to get when our premiere pro sequences were set to "interlaced" with progressive footage : kind of lines along dark edges...

that's what makes me think that ffmpegX interprets my footage as interlaced, when it's progressive. I couldn't find any option to change that.

here is my workflow and settings:

from premiere
    export edit with progressive footage to progressive prores codec (1280*720 1.0)

in ffmepgX
    I'm doing first H264 to show to everyone involved the result in HD, and then mpeg2 to put that into encore

export h264 with x264, 5000 kb/s, 1280*720 16:9
    options checked : CABAC, 2passes

AND

export mpeg2 ffmpeg, 7000kbps, PAL
    options checked : high quality, 2 passes

as I said both encoding give these weird lines

I attached two screenshots

thanks for your help !!!

ben
    Image Attached Images    
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you referring to the light line on the face just below the cap's shadow? That would be contrast enhancement, probably from a sharpening filter.
    I don't see the tell-tale signs of interlacing in your screenshots. Interlacing effects should be perfectly horizontal, and should be visible every other scan line.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i'm refering to the lines one can see in picture at the left, at every edge between colors of different brightness.

around the whole cap, and around the eye's shade is the most visible i think. they look horizontal to me...

I just checked on ffmpegx, no enhancement are on.

thanks for your help anyway case, I appreciate it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bennn View Post
    i'm refering to the lines one can see in picture at the left, at every edge between colors of different brightness. around the whole cap, and around the eye's shade is the most visible i think. they look horizontal to me...
    I see. That effect could be the result of a line-doubler, just like the most basic de-interlacer -- throwing away half the vertical resolution.

I'm not sure how ffmpegX fits into this (unless you set the Deinterlace checkbox in image filters), as I haven't seen this effect on my conversions with this tool.

What is the playback software that you used when capturing these screenshots? Have you ruled out any de-interlace settings in there?
    Quote Quote  
  5. i tried basic mac video preview, vlc and quicktime with various interlacing settings, all the same... so i don't think that's the issue.
    Quote Quote