VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I use AT&T net for my DSL internet access. It seems that not a month goes by without at least one email trying to get my username and password. Is this a common problem with DSL access? I've used ATT for at least two years,when I was on dialup this never happened.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Send the username and password to me and I will fix it for you...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it is common with DSL access per se. I rarely get any phishing emails using Verizon DSL. I had more with AT&T dialup. ...but I don't use my Verizon email account for communication with very many parties.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had AT&T DSL for three years, and I've never received anything but official newsletter emails from AT&T. Basically I've never used my AT&T email address for anything since I prefer to stick with my main email address that I've had for much longer. My main one does get a fair amount of spam and the occasional phish (mostly caught by a spam filter), but it's been exposed to the internet unlike my AT&T address.

It's pretty much inevitable that if you use an email address at all you will get spam and phishing emails. Even if you are careful about who you give your address to, the people you give it to may not be careful with it. They may get hacked or they may simple sell their list to advertisers. That's just how it goes. You just have to be vigilant and scrutinize every email you receive.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ATT is under siege by a lot of pissed off people. Not a great service provider to have right now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well i get e-bay, paypal, crags list, etc etc etc phishing e-mails trying to get my username and password all the time....
    Sent to my yahoo mail....

E-bay must be behind it those crooked B@$T@RDS!!!!!!

I'll bet ATT & Yahoo is in cahoots with E-bay and Craigs List to get my UN & PW!!!!

Man!!
    And everyone that is out to get me call's ME paranoid!!!

LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not a secret that ATT buys up local and regional cellular companies in an attempt to monopolize the market, and squeeze the maximum charges by overselling existing capacity and not building more infrastructure.

They've been doing this for a hundred years. Back in the day, you couldn't even own a phone, you had to lease it. And they wouldn't allow any non-ATT phone to connect to their phone lines.

ATT SUKKS!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And what exactly does that have to do with the OP ?
    LOL!!

Ya wanna talk monopolizing... talk CABLE!!
    Electric!!!
    Natural GAS!!!

LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I’m new to all this, I think.

1. Can someone explain what this fishing is?
    2. And also what do you mean by, “..get you user name and password” ?

I am asking because I am actually re-considering faster internet, probably cable since they do have a $29.95 promotional plan for fist-timers. But reading this discussion has me worried, but right now, being on dialup I am not getting spam and all that junk, just a couple of day. My provider filters spam out for me so I don’t know what’s the latest nonsense, maybe dialup is too slow to bother for most these hackers or whatever they are. Thank you.

-vhelp 5449
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't the OP ask about ATT phishing their customers? I brought up the other dastardly stuff ATT does as a "heads up". lol

Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    And what exactly does that have to do with the OP ?
    LOL!!

Ya wanna talk monopolizing... talk CABLE!!
    Electric!!!
    Natural GAS!!!

LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AT&T farmed out html email to Yahoo years and years ago.

Last I looked they still have a pop/smtp server if you want to use Outlook. If you use the pop server, there is no spam filter.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=at%26t+email+pop+server&rlz=1R2ADFA_enU...AAAKoEBU_QVFqf
    Last edited by edDV; 10th Dec 2010 at 22:31.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Didn't the OP ask about ATT phishing their customers? I brought up the other dastardly stuff ATT does as a "heads up". lol
    Yeah i was just wondering what monopolizing had to do with phishing because phishing is a pretty world wide phenomenon.

Actually the majority of phishing e-mails i have received in the last 6-12 month's led back to comcast hosted websites

So it's not like ATT has any kind of monopoly on phishing e-mails

And i have had ATT/SBC/Ameritech, which ever company name they happen to be using at the moment in any given area of the U.S., for cell phone and internet for several years, and i have not seen anything through their servers/ISP e-mail that is anything like the crap i get in my yahoo mail, but then i rarely give out my SBC/ISP e-mail.

@ vhelp

A phishing e-mail is where you are sent a bogus e-mail, it look's like it is from E-bay, paypal, or similar, saying something like, you have an unanswered question about an e-bay item, or you have had suspicious activity in your paypal account, etc.

Please click the link to log into your account and take care of the problem.

Then if you click on the link it looks like the official website and if you try to log in you have just sent some scammer your username and password and they will proceed to take over your account and try to rob you blind.

There have been millions of people ripped off this way over the years because most people just assume it is real and don't bother to look at the actual URL on the page they have just opened through the link in their e-mail.

I used to get these years ago before it even became widely known to the general public.

But as i stated earlier, with my paranoia, i always caught them right away!!
    LOL!!

That's why it has been kind of a safety measure to never sign into a site through any link in your e-mail but to go there directly by opening a new browser window and typing in the site.

No offense intended, but you have been around a long time so i am kind of surprised that you don't know what a phishing e-mail is, they have been around for years and years!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    More surprising is the OP thinking AT&T has anything to do with it.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    More surprising is the OP thinking AT&T has anything to do with it.
    Hence my first post,
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/329177-ATT-Phishing?p=2039580&viewfull=1#post2039580

The really funny thing to me is when i get them trying to steal my Craigs List UN & PW.....

LMAO!!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    I am asking because I am actually re-considering faster internet, probably cable since they do have a $29.95 promotional plan for fist-timers. But reading this discussion has me worried, but right now, being on dialup I am not getting spam and all that junk.

-vhelp 5449
    Dude just get DSL if it's available in your neighborhood, dialup is a dinosaur. You can get 3mbps in most parts of the US for $14.95 per month. Granted it's a promotional price but the regular price is still cheaper than cables promo price.

BTW: I'm on AT&T DSL and I get phished all the time and the emails look legit, just don't click on their links.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    I am asking because I am actually re-considering faster internet, probably cable since they do have a $29.95 promotional plan for fist-timers. But reading this discussion has me worried, but right now, being on dialup I am not getting spam and all that junk.

-vhelp 5449
    Dude just get DSL if it's available in your neighborhood, dialup is a dinosaur. You can get 3mbps in most parts of the US for $14.95 per month. Granted it's a promotional price but the regular price is still cheaper than cables promo price.

BTW: I'm on AT&T DSL and I get phished all the time and the emails look legit, just don't click on their links.

Yes, but how do I separate the real offers from Niger or Bank of Hong Kong trying to contact me with millions of dollars waiting for me?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am asking because I am actually re-considering faster internet, probably cable since they do have a $29.95 promotional plan for fist-timers. But reading this discussion has me worried, but right now, being on dialup I am not getting spam and all that junk, just a couple of day. My provider filters spam out for me so I don’t know what’s the latest nonsense, maybe dialup is too slow to bother for most these hackers or whatever they are. Thank you.

-vhelp 5449

AT&T is fine as an internet provider. I've had them for 10 years now.

Dial up? Are you trying to win a prize for being the last guy in the USA to still use dial up? I've heard the following lines of thought:
    1) I have Windows 98 so NOBODY will ever try to hack me!
    2) I use dial up so nobody will ever try to hack me or use my email address!
    3) My PC is so old that nobody would ever try to hack it!
    Hackers and spammers do indeed target all of the above.

Like valvehead I don't use my AT&T email account and never have. The last time I logged in to it, which was years ago, it was completely overrun with spam. Since I didn't care about the account, I have never logged in again.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those who have faster options than dial up should consider themselves lucky. Many people in rural areas still only have dial up service available.

I still had dial-up service until about 2 1/2 years ago. For a long time, DSL service cost more than I wanted to pay. My DSL service is pretty slow, although much faster than dial-up. For one thing, copper phone lines have not been properly maintained around here, especially since fiber-optic cables came in.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Do what I do, contact the spammer and play around with them. Give them a bogus logon and password. I had one spammer come back to me, saying that it didn't work. So I kept giving them wrong info, and they eventually got mad and gave up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I’m new to all this, I think.

1. Can someone explain what this fishing is?
    2. And also what do you mean by, “..get you user name and password” ?

1: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=phishing

Whether you have dial up or DSL, has no relation to how much spam you get. It's simply whether they know, or can guess, your email address. Email works the same however you go online.
    However, if you have broadband, you spend more time online, and if you're not careful, spead your email address around. Thus more spam.

Anyway, I'd go for the DSL. Before I got it I was spending more per month on dialup at an hourly rate; and my phoneline was busy.
    Just make sure you can renew it at the same, or better rate.
    Quote Quote