VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello friends,

I have got many HD films(H.264 & AAC) ranging from 3-6 GB but they are consuming all my disk space. I have seen compressed HD videos with small sizes and unnoticable quality loss .so i am assuming that i can convert my films without much quality loss.i want them to be re-encoded to 2 GB (1.5 GB video and .5 GB audio).searched on google about this but seems pretty much confusing since there are many software & encoding methods to do this .so i request the video experts to suggest which s\w ,encoding method should i use to yield the output which can save my time and quality.sorry if i have posted in the wrong thread.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use a x264 frontend like handbrake. But encoding HD will take a LOT of time....I would buy more HDD instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks baldrick. i also want to ask another question.hope u don't mind .i learned that there are many other tools which do x264 encoding like ripbot264,xvid4psp,alltoavi,supermeguiand many other.so which is the best s\w for x264 encoding considering quality and time consumed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think there is any difference in the encoding time, since they're all x264.
    The main differences seem to be which options are exposed in the GUI, but I doubt even that is not
    that big of a deal - unless you're an x264 expert, in which case you'll probably be using the command line.

Try the popular ones and see what you likle. Handbrake, Staxrip, xvid4psp, etc,etc...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless your source is encoded with a very generous bitrate, there is no way you can reduce them by 65% and not take a quality hit.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guns1inger for Ur opinion.here is a sample of HD video i want to re-encode.can you explain 'generous bitrate' for this file(video stream alone 3 GB).so that i can encode them to 65% of source file without affecting quality as you said.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by kurian; 9th Dec 2010 at 03:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Video bitrate is ~3200 kbps at 1280x544 px.I dont have much experience in downsizing HD videos, but I think you could down to ~2000 kbps. If you want to go even lower you should also consider resizing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    thanks leghorn for your concern.so i want my 3 GB video to convert to 1.5 GB so how many kbps should i use or should i prefer two pass encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by zammil View Post
    thanks leghorn for your concern.so i want my 3 GB video to convert to 1.5 GB so how many kbps should i use
    Half the bitrate of your source. Because:

file size = bitrate * running time
    So for a given running time the bitrate determines the file size. (The sum of the audio and video bitrates, plus a little overhead for the container.)

Nobody will be able to tell what the resulting quality will be because every video requires a different bitrate to maintain quality. A slideshow with no transitions can be encoded with very low bitrates and look fine. A video with a lot of noise and action shots will require lots of bitrate.

Originally Posted by zammil View Post
    or should i prefer two pass encoding.
    You should always use two pass encoding if you want the best quality at a particular file size.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks to everyone who has taken time to reply to my thread.I have also got the optimum settings for x264 conversion from the following guides.hope it will be helpful to others.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/submit-your-own-guides-reviews/23573-h-264-encoding-x264-...round-far.html

http://mattgadient.com/2009/09/12/the-best-h-264-x264-settings-for-handbrake/
    Last edited by kurian; 9th Dec 2010 at 22:39.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I have seen mp4s on some which are even around less than 700-900MB and quality for those mp4s are just incredible. I have reencode avatar extended gtom blu ray to mp4 but seems not to get below the 2gb mark using xmedia recode and it is terribly time consuming. Any other tools besides those mention and add subtitles as well? XVid4PSP does not work with Windows 7 64 bit somehow on mine anyway.
    Quote Quote