VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to have a panasonic DVD recorder that I used to convert some Hi8 tapes and S-VHS into files on the computer for archiving and easy storage... found capture was better than an AVerTV card that I had. The DVD recorder doesn't work anymore and looking at my options... looking at the option of using a digital 8 camera with pass through. Seems that's the best quality? I'm not concerned with hard drive space these days with the huge HDD available.... I do not have such camera but know there are plenty on ebay that I could bid on.

Question is, does one DV8 camera work better than another? Is there a list of these cameras to choose from since not all dv8 have pass through? I've found some lists that seem only partial. I'm not looking for all the other functions since I have a hd camera I use nowadays.... so if a low end DV8 model with pass through works just as good as a high end model that's all I need.... at the same time, if I need to buy a higher end model, (say because it has better filter or tbc) that doesn't bother me either as it will probably be easier to resell back on ebay once I'm done with my library of tapes...

???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some Digital 8 cameras cannot play the analog Hi8 tapes, just make sure you get a camera that is backwards compatible.

Although there are capture boxes that convert an analog signal to DV with a firewire imput. I was actually going to buy a Canopus one because my Pyro ADS is not that great but I was going to ask why there seem to be so many different versions on amazon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Capture card - I use a Hauuppauge because I take the video straight to DVD with TDA.

I still have one of the ol' pannys, e-20 (2nd one out) - can't seem to let it go, works, too.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote