Search Comp PM
    http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=12325.0
    PS pass the word around to other site thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    here it is ...............
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out the special $129 offer deal for Colossus only for - our Facebook friends! (do keep in mind that this per-order meaning it will be shipping soon and I'm sure there set limet on them)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hauppauge-Computer-Works/188024431224610
    or
    http://store.hauppauge.com/AddToShoppingCart.asp?ProductID=115
    But when they do run out you have use this link and paid full price $169 (do keep in mind that this per-order meaning it will be shipping soon)
    http://store.hauppauge.com/hardware2.asp?product=colossus
    Quote Quote  
  4. What be nice if it comes with WDM capture drivers for all inputs for use in VirtualDub, but thats not very likely.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The driver are base a round WDM (Windows Driver Model) which has been move to WDF (Windows Driver Foundation)
    VirtualDub need raw AVI mode which it was mainly build a round very old out date VFW (Video for Windows) base code which also referred to VCM (Video Compression Manager) which really old 1992 stuff time to get with program and problem with VirtualDub is dosen't fully support directshow nor any realtime hardware encoder.
    I haven't used VirtualDub in 5 years becuases it so useless.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    The driver are base a round WDM (Windows Driver Model) which has been move to WDF (Windows Driver Foundation)
    VirtualDub need raw AVI mode which it was mainly build a round very old out date VFW (Video for Windows) base code which also referred to VCM (Video Compression Manager) which really old 1992 stuff time to get with program and problem with VirtualDub is dosen't fully support directshow nor any realtime hardware encoder.
    VirtualDub does support WDM/DirectShow capture drivers (both video and audio sides) and has for quite a few years. The problem is more and more hardware vendors are opting for proprietary drivers that only interface with software specifically written for it (along with WMC).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Virtualdub every day. Not for video capture but just about everything else. I don't think a lot of people use Virtualdub for capture since the old ATI and Conexant days. I think one of the old Hauppauge cards was able to capture AVI.

Virtualdub is very useful to me. I can open all kinds of files with the Directshow Driver or input plugins and I can encode 264/AAC or AC3 MKV, MP4, MPEG or AVI with the external encoder feature. It will do way more than any software that Hauppauge writes. Oh yeah, Hauppauge doesn't write any software. You really shouldn't say that a software is useless if you haven't used it in five years. I've been using Virtualdub for 11 years and I can tell you that, although it has never been useless to me, it is way more useful today than it was five years ago.

If Hauppauge would create their own software that was hopefully better than the 3rd party software that they bundle then people wouldn't have to wish for something better. Something that would not only capture but could cut commercials or other unwanted footage without having to recode the whole capture would be nice. The capture function of TME (with preferably more options) and the editing function of Videoredo 4 would be perfect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use VDub almost daily as well....just not for capturing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    VirtualDub does support WDM/DirectShow capture drivers (both video and audio sides) and has for quite a few years. The problem is more and more hardware vendors are opting for proprietary drivers that only interface with software specifically written for it (along with WMC).
    Thing is dosen't fully support directshow with any realtime hardware encoder that the problem rigth there.
    The DirectShow it support is mainly RAW AVI mode there a big diff there in way a Hardware Encoder works I ref to Realtime MPEG1/2, Divx and H.264 Hardware Encoder.
    The people that do use VirtualDub there not using for capturing Video just editing and trasn coding.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm interested in this mainly for capturing DD/DTS 5.1 from my Xbox/PS3 Games.
    So that I can run it through a HRTF filter & change it to stereo simulated surround, and then pass it to my Essence ST.
    Would it be possible to bypass the encoding process, and just grab the captured audio?

I'd love to use it's HDMI-in to capture 8-ch LPCM that uses the latest DD/DTS formats, namely; TrueHD, DTS-MA.
    But I doubt that there'll be a "HDCP hole" like there is in the Avermedia card...
    And even if there is, like the avermedia it'll prolly be limited to grabbing only 48kHz/2ch PCM/16-bit, right?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank-you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got my Hauppauge Collossus today! Box was heavy with cables, card and software. Now for scheduled cable box capture!
    Building a Mini ITX HTPC is tricky, heat, noise, specialized PSU and other issues.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HTPC Feb 24-2011 sm.jpg
Views:	2647
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	5813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HTPC Feb 24-2011 asm.jpg
Views:	2692
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	5814  

Last edited by stevon111; 25th Feb 2011 at 16:30. Reason: mini ITX
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by stevon111 View Post
    Got my Hauppauge Collossus today!
    Love to hear how it works out...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    I have the USB model and have found the ArcSoft software lacking, though Windows Media Center works pretty well with it. The downside is the stupid .wtv wrapper WMC puts on the recording. VideoRedo can deal with it if you upgrade to the H.264 version. What I am curious about is whether it has the same wonky behavior when changing channels where it first says there is no video input and then says the signal is weak. The Happpauge FAQ's says it is due to the nature of hardware encoding versus software encoding, but I am not sure I buy it. If that behavior is fixed on the card I would like to know it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by festmaster View Post
    I have the USB model and have found the ArcSoft software lacking, though Windows Media Center works pretty well with it. The downside is the stupid .wtv wrapper WMC puts on the recording. VideoRedo can deal with it if you upgrade to the H.264 version. What I am curious about is whether it has the same wonky behavior when changing channels where it first says there is no video input and then says the signal is weak. The Happpauge FAQ's says it is due to the nature of hardware encoding versus software encoding, but I am not sure I buy it. If that behavior is fixed on the card I would like to know it.
    The becuases there no way add delay to WMC and by the way that not what it said

Note: Because the HDPVR utilizes a hardware H.264 encoder, it behaves differently than typical tuner based devices. The HDPVR encoder must be reset whenever the input video resolution or bit stream audio type changes. Additionally, the HDPVR encoder may reset due to input video dropouts or errors in bit stream audio. The HDPVR stops streaming at the onset of the reset and resumes ~ 2-4 seconds after the return of stable audio and video.

MCE displays a "Weak signal" message when it sees" bad" or "no" transport data from a source for a predetermined time. The reset time of the HDPVR encoder appears to fall just within the threshold to trigger a weak signal message.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    I'm interested in this mainly for capturing DD 5.1 from my Xbox/PS3 Games.
    So that I can run it through a HRTF filter & change it to stereo simulated surround, and then pass it to my Essence ST.
    Would it be possible to bypass the encoding process, and just grab the captured audio?

I'd love to use it's HDMI-in to capture 8-ch LPCM that uses the latest DD/DTS formats, namely; TrueHD, DTS-MA.
    But I doubt that there'll be a "HDCP hole" like there is in the Avermedia card...
    And even if there is, like the avermedia it'll prolly be limited to grabbing only 48kHz/2ch PCM/16-bit, right?
    Anyone? Thank-you very much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jalyst I made a reply to that on sagetv forum
    Quote Quote  
  17. I just noticed and will respond soon.
    I won't keep my line of questioning going in here any-more.

Thank-you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good news it seem that using Colossus HDMI on dishnetwork and directv work with no HDCP lockdown
    There are people on SageTV forum check it out rigth here http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52718 go to page 31
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Good news it seem that using Colossus HDMI on dishnetwork and directv work with no HDCP lockdown
    What does that mean? Is the Colossus decrypting and recording the signal even though it's HDCP protected? Or are the cable boxes sending HDMI without HDCP encryption?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    What does that mean? Is the Colossus decrypting and recording the signal even though it's HDCP protected? Or are the cable boxes sending HDMI without HDCP encryption?
    I have no idea
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I doubt it'd be the former...
    Hapuage would risk having their licesne revoked & their ass dragged through courts by Intel et al.
    I hope to god it's the former, but it's not likely
    I'd say you'd need a STB that doesn't know how to do HDCP, increasingly rare nowadays.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I doubt it'd be the former...
    Hapuage would risk having their licesne revoked & their ass dragged through courts by Intel et al.
    I hope to god it's the former, but it's not likely
    It happened with the AverTV HD PVR. The driver was updated pretty quickly to fix the "problem".

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    I'd say you'd need a STB that doesn't know how to do HDCP, increasingly rare nowadays.
    Yeah, I thought a sat box that didn't require HDCP was unlikely too.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Oh yeah I suppose it could be an "accident" like the avermedia...
    Yet to see confirmation that any of the STB's it's capturing from, are in-fact HDCP sources.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Haupauge Colossus and included software does NOT bypass or decrypt HDCP. I have the UVERSE Motorola VIP1200 set to max 1080i quality out HDMI port. The signal has HDCP on top of it coming out of the box. In order to view the HD video a " MUX DVI repeater" was required in between VIP1200 STB and Colossus card to see video on HTPC. VIP1200 HDMI cable to Colossus shows in WinTV7 software "No signal". So Colossus is fully compliant with HDCP as advertised. Did not try component capture.
    Stephen
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HD UVERSE 1 sm.jpg
Views:	3019
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	5861  

Quote Quote  
  25. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    So you can't even preview it in the bundled software? That would mean it isn't compliant at all. Devices that follow HDCP can still display content.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vaporeon800,
    Yes, the Haupauge Colossus and bundled software is HDCP compliant by not showing HDCP encrypted video. It is not an approved video display by the HDMI consortium or Intel subsidiary Digital Content Protection agency. It is supposed to shut off encrypted HD video to be compliant and it does.
    Last edited by stevon111; 3rd Mar 2011 at 02:30.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    By that definition, wouldn't a monitor that can't display HDCP video by virtue of not implementing the technology (ex Dell 2405FPW) be considered "compliant"?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is meant by "compliant" is that if you use HDMI interface and pay HDMI consortium fees, you agree you will not break DRM guidelines and honor HD content protection source "flags". There is a lot more specifications for compliance.
    DELL could make an encrypted HDMI input display but wants to avoid the required $10K fee, per year to the HDMI consortium and another aproximate $10K to Intel subsidiary Digital Content Protection agency. I think Intel would be willing to wave their HDCP fee because DELL is a partner. HDCP protected signal is encrypted and removes sync pulse. To view HDCP protected video and hear sound, sink device (TV, display) has to have a discrete IC to negotiate keys, restore sync pulse and decrypt video to a regular unencrypted HD stream. For Dell the added complexity, demand and yearly license and per piece fees to Silicon Image was probably unacceptable and not justifyable for the increased cost to customers put on each Display panel. That's why DELL and others are backing the competing royalty free HD video standard Display Port. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Oh, by the way, Displayport also honors DRM on video and audio

Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    By that definition, wouldn't a monitor that can't display HDCP video by virtue of not implementing the technology (ex Dell 2405FPW) be considered "compliant"?
    Last edited by stevon111; 3rd Mar 2011 at 18:03. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a workaround but it isn't cheap. A MUX-HD is around $280 shipped and has DVI out. Check out Curt Palme website. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14624

Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Last edited by stevon111; 3rd Mar 2011 at 17:59.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    No need, I actually bought the later 2408FPW that does display HDCP content. But thanks for all the info. The thread you linked to doesn't mention the MUX-HD; I think I read that they quit selling it.
    Quote Quote