VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Do you try AMARECTV?

My friend has Hauppage and use this com AMTV by default.

Can you upload any video record with WinTV ?

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alan
    When come to Sony Vegas it does not detect AAC audio on .TS or .M2TS files. What ever you are using, you must use to digital audio. you need to set your settop box to output Dolby Digital in audio settings in order to get AC3 format.
    Or used the TSMuxer program to convert the TS file to M2TS

As for Windows Media Center did you not even look at the installation notes my guest is you did not

If you install one thoses 3rdparty free Codec Pack that where 99% of your problem come from, never ever install them on your box that plan on do video editing on, in fact don't waste your time with them just get VLC

Google "video editor hd pvr"
    As for video editor
    H264TS_Cutter
    MovieShop
    VideoReDo
    FameRing Smart Cutter
    CyberLink PowerDirector
    I think if recall rigth that Ulead/Corel VideoStudio also work

I Agree with Arcsoft Showbiz as crapware and very ugly UI
    I don't Agree with on WinTV 7 as crapware
    How ever you must use the capture your video then you can import in to thoses 3rdparty apps becuases thoses 3rdparty apps DO NOT work with hardware encoder just like with older MPEG2 encoder PVR 150, 250 and so on models.

And for love god get rid of Windows XP and get Windows 7
    Last edited by SHS; 1st Sep 2012 at 12:46.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Alan - I use the Hauppauge Colossus regularly. VideoReDo has worked fine on what I record. I record in TS format - ALWAYS. I make no guarantees of any kind that if you record to M2TS or MP4 that you will not have problems as I do NOT use those formats by choice. I use VideoReDo to save to H.264 MKV format as I find MKV containers easy to work with for my needs.

I do not use Vegas so with regards to SHS's comments, I do want to say that it has been my experience that the Colossus defaults to AAC audio. You can't really force AC3 encoding, at least not with the version of ShowBiz that I am using. I refuse to upgrade ShowBiz to the latest one available because the latest one does not allow you to set bit rates when capturing and that is important to me. The latest ShowBiz has some nice features you can set but the inability to set the bit rate when capturing makes it a deal killer for me. I have only been able to capture in AC3 format with the card when 2 things are true.
    1) I use an optical cable as the audio connector.
    2) The source I am recording is putting out AC3.
    If both of these conditions are not true, the recording will always be AAC.

The Colossus has an encoding chip that is capable of a lot more different video and audio encodings than the Hauppauge drivers support, but no third party has ever written other drivers that can make better use of the chip. The version of ShowBiz that they let us use trails the commercial version by a lot in terms of release numbers, but I have not yet been willing to download the trial version of the current ShowBiz and see if it's any better. I'm not happy with the price of ShowBiz and am currently unwilling to pay what it costs, but I suppose there might be some chance that the current version may be better than the downreved version they let us use with the card.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi SHS,

Thanks for all the info. Please bear with me here, because I obviously don't know a lot about what I'm doing. I have some questions about your response, with the quotes from your message below:

Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Alan
    When come to Sony Vegas it does not detect AAC audio on .TS or .M2TS files. What ever you are using, you must use to digital audio. you need to set your settop box to output Dolby Digital in audio settings in order to get AC3 format.
    Or used the TSMuxer program to convert the TS file to M2TS
    1. Obviously I can't do this with the analog audio cables I've been using with the component video cables. I must use an optical audio cable with the optical audio output on the HR22-100 and optical audio input on the Hauppauge Colossus card. Is that correct? Your solution also suggests that if I use the optical audio input on the Hauppauge Colossus card, it will not capture the audio in AAC, but in AC3 instead. Will this happen automatically in both WinTV and ArcSoft ShowBiz? Can you guarantee this behavior for those capture programs? I've seen posts in the Hauppauge forums from people reporting that they can't seem to get consistent AC3 output from the card even when they use the optical input.

As for Windows Media Center did you not even look at the installation notes my guest is you did not
    Yes I did. Why would you think otherwise? Sometimes things don't work the way they're documented to work.

I set it up using the built-in wizards with Windows Media Center 7. When that didn't work, I tried the tutorial here:

http://whatworkedforme.net/series-building-a-pvr-with-hauppauge-colossus/

The tutorial was recommended in the Hauppauge forums. It also did not work, per the step on this page

http://whatworkedforme.net/set-up-tv-signal-in-windows-media-center/

which suggests that if Windows Media Center 7 sees the DirecTV Satellite Receiver as a cable receiver, then "something is wrong". As I reported in my first post, that was the problem. I have posted a question regarding this issue with the author of the tutorial, who did not explain what "something is wrong" might mean. I have yet to receive a reply, so I still don't know why Windows Media Center won't work with the Colossus.

If you install one thoses 3rdparty free Codec Pack that where 99% of your problem come from, never ever install them on your box that plan on do video editing on, in fact don't waste your time with them just get VLC
    The only codec packs I mentioned were:

1. The ones that come installed with the applications I've been using. Unfortunately, I know of no way to keep programs like Nero 11, Sony Vegas, TSMuxer, or even the programs you recommended (below) to install without also installing their codec packs. How would I do this?

2. Windows 7 Codec Pack - it's actually hard to tell if this is a 3rd party" codec pack, or an update for the codecs that come bundled with Windows 7 Media Player, Media Center, Movie Maker.

Note also the version number, because somehow you got the idea that I was using Windows XP. I never said I was.

My system is certainly a mess when it comes to codecs, but I don't see anything in the installed programs list (also with Revo Uninstaller's list) besides the installed video applications and the Windows 7 Codec Pack. If there are free 3rd party codec packs on my system, how would I find them?

3. "In fact don't waste your time with them just get VLC" Do you mean that I should try the video convertor in VLC? According to users in these forums and in the Hauppauge forums, VLC can't be used on Windows systems to capture video from the Colossus. That leaves the Video convertor. Does VLC come with its own codec pack?

Google "video editor hd pvr"
    As for video editor
    H264TS_Cutter
    MovieShop
    VideoReDo
    FameRing Smart Cutter
    CyberLink PowerDirector
    I think if recall rigth that Ulead/Corel VideoStudio also work
    OK, I'll give those a shot. I'm willing to try anything, obviously. In fact, since my first post, I was able to open a TS file captured by the Colossus in the Nero 11 Video Editor. It imported both the video and audio just fine. Its editing functions are severely limited compared to Vegas, but I may be able to use it as a transcoder.

Your list of utilities is the kind of info I'm looking for, so thanks for providing it. Not only that, but it reminds me of what else I have installed on this disorganized system. For example, I already have a copy of VideoRedo. I just forgot about it. As I said in my first post,

"There are probably other programs floating around on my system. I'm out of gas and can't continue the list. "

I was pretty wasted last night after a long, frustrating day trying to get things to work. Everyone on these forums knows that feeling, I'm sure.

RE Ulead, remember DVD Workshop? That was a fine program. Too bad Corel dumped development on it when they bought Ulead. These days my copy of DVD Workshop still works, it's just stuck in Standard-Def DVD land.

Any of the money items in your program list may have to wait, as I'm a little strapped right now. However I'll certainly give the freeware and trialware a look.

I Agree with Arcsoft Showbiz as crapware and very ugly UI
    I don't Agree with on WinTV 7 as crapware
    The problem I have with WinTV 7 2.5cd has to do with frame rates. I get random changes in output frame rate when I change other settings, such as aspect ratio. That includes changing the rate from constant to variable, with large changes in min to max frame rates. The output isn't consistent, so I don't use it. If you have a way of controlling frame rate better in WinTV 7, I could use it! The only thing I've found so far outside of the program are the registry keys, but the controls there are more for bit rates than frame rates.

How ever you must use the capture your video then you can import in to thoses 3rdparty apps becuases thoses 3rdparty apps DO NOT work with hardware encoder just like with older MPEG2 encoder PVR 150, 250 and so on models.
    I'm afraid that one is a little opaque to me. Not your fault, mine, because I don't recognize the PVR models you're talking about (and I probably even owned one or two of them!!!) Can you rephrase it?

And for love god get rid of Windows XP and get Windows 7
    As I already mentioned, I never said I was using Windows XP. However to be fair I never said I was using Windows 7, either. What I did say as that I was using Windows 7 Codec Pack. That should have indicated what my OS was.

Specifically, it's Windows 7 "Home Premium". In other words, the cheaper one!

To repeat what I said earlier, and include an update: I have been able to import captured TS files directly into Nero 11 Platinum's Video Editor, it recognizes the audio and video tracks, and so far has been able to transcode a TS file to an AVI. I'm working on tweaking the settings in that AVI to produce the best output I can from the TS file.

Also, I had mentioned the AVS Video Convertor 8, and its associated toolbox of video tools. This convertor can rebuild a TS file into many different formats - the trick is that it's such an all-inclusive tool that it's hard to find a settings profile that will do everything just right without degrading the quality of the output video. However, it includes a tool called "Video Remaker", which is similar to Nero 11 Recode but with more control over the output. I'm now trying to use it as a bare-bones recoder to get a captured TS file into a format that's close in quality to the original but also readable by a larger variety of video editors and Blu-Ray authoring programs.

So there is a small amount of light at the end of the tunnel, and now I have SHS's reminder about VideoReDo and the other tools to consider.

All may not be lost yet. There is one nagging issue that awaits some kind of resolution here: I noticed that Standard-Def AVI files captured by my old Canopus AVCD-1397 card have bitrates of 30+Mbps, resolutions of 720 X 480i (because that's what the DirecTV gives it for S-Video) and run about 6GB for a 30 minute clip.

The same 30 minute content, captured by the Colossus to a TS file at 20+Mbps, 1920 X 1080i component, runs about 3GB.

Granted there are multiple variables here, but even so, something doesn't compute. The 30 minute TS file captured by the Colossus is only half the size of the AVI captured by the Canopus.

Mediainfo reports that the format of the AVi file is DV, whereas the TS file is AVC, High@L 4.0 profile. OK, so the video in the TS is compressed. I get that. But is 50% compression to be expected with AVC? The bitrate is lower but the resolution is higher. Does adding AVC to that result in 50% compression?

From the standpoint of general-purpose ignorance about these things, I get the feeling that the captured files for the Colossus should be larger than what I'm seeing. Small differences are one thing with all these variables, but 50% smaller for Hi-Def over Standard-Def? Clearly I need organized coursework on Hi-Def video, from the ground up.

Did I mention that such a course would also have to be cheap?

Thanks again for the info SHS, and to all other reading this for your time and patience,
    Alan Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Do you try AMARECTV?
    My friend has Hauppage and use this com AMTV by default.
    Can you upload any video record with WinTV ?
    Claudio
    No, I never heard of it before, but I just now found the download on Cnet. It's Freeware so I can't argue with the price!

I see that it's a DirectShow capture program. If it works with the Colossus, I'll give it a shot. I'm mainly curious to see what kind of output it will produce.

The question for me will be whether or not I want to take on DirectShow encoders that might or might not come installed with it. The documentation for the program on Cnet is pretty sparse, so I'll go looking for it elsewhere too.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm all ears for free capture programs that will work with the Colossus!

Alan Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Alan - I use the Hauppauge Colossus regularly. VideoReDo has worked fine on what I record. I record in TS format - ALWAYS. I make no guarantees of any kind that if you record to M2TS or MP4 that you will not have problems as I do NOT use those formats by choice. I use VideoReDo to save to H.264 MKV format as I find MKV containers easy to work with for my needs.

I do not use Vegas so with regards to SHS's comments, I do want to say that it has been my experience that the Colossus defaults to AAC audio. You can't really force AC3 encoding, at least not with the version of ShowBiz that I am using. I refuse to upgrade ShowBiz to the latest one available because the latest one does not allow you to set bit rates when capturing and that is important to me. The latest ShowBiz has some nice features you can set but the inability to set the bit rate when capturing makes it a deal killer for me. I have only been able to capture in AC3 format with the card when 2 things are true.
    1) I use an optical cable as the audio connector.
    2) The source I am recording is putting out AC3.
    If both of these conditions are not true, the recording will always be AAC.

The Colossus has an encoding chip that is capable of a lot more different video and audio encodings than the Hauppauge drivers support, but no third party has ever written other drivers that can make better use of the chip. The version of ShowBiz that they let us use trails the commercial version by a lot in terms of release numbers, but I have not yet been willing to download the trial version of the current ShowBiz and see if it's any better. I'm not happy with the price of ShowBiz and am currently unwilling to pay what it costs, but I suppose there might be some chance that the current version may be better than the downreved version they let us use with the card.
    Hey jman98,
    Thanks for all the helpful info, especially that little Boolean decision tree about AC3 capturing. I'm not the most efficient when it comes to populating trees like that one.

In my case a switch to optical audio from analog will take a little more research and possibly some elbow grease, because as things are arranged now, I'd have to run about 25ft of optical cable from my DirecTV HR22-100 to my Colossus card. How that could be done and paid for are the two leading questions. I'll certainly look into it.

As my long winded response to SHS indicates (somewhere in there), I haven't given VideoRedo a good workout with this card yet. It's overdue and I'll work on that tonight.

However, as I noted I've also found two tools that seem to work really well at importing TS files and transcoding them into other formats: AVS Video Convertor 8 (and/or bare-bones tool, AVS Video Remaker), and Nero 11 Video Editor. I don't include Nero Recoder in that list because although it does import TS files without difficulty, I wasn't able to do much with it in terms of custom profiles.

Like you, I now record exclusively to TS files with the Colossus. I've just found through trial and error that the TS profiles give me less grief in the long run than M2TS and MP4. Also, I have a built-in aristocratic bias against using profiles that have "XBox 360" and "Playstation" associated with them - which is ironic, since the sludge in my bathroom indicates a large separation from aristocracy.

So you use MKV containers, eh? I've had a lot of experience taking them apart, but not MUXing them. I should give that a try too, with the tools I already have. It'll be a low-cost experiment.

OK then, I'm back to work. Thanks again, jman98, and to all others who have responded.

Alan Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BOMOON View Post
    1. Obviously I can't do this with the analog audio cables I've been using with the component video cables. I must use an optical audio cable with the optical audio output on the HR22-100 and optical audio input on the Hauppauge Colossus card. Is that correct? Your solution also suggests that if I use the optical audio input on the Hauppauge Colossus card, it will not capture the audio in AAC, but in AC3 instead. Will this happen automatically in both WinTV and ArcSoft ShowBiz? Can you guarantee this behavior for those capture programs? I've seen posts in the Hauppauge forums from people reporting that they can't seem to get consistent AC3 output from the card even when they use the optical input.
    Hauppauge dose not have a user forum that UK forum run by one of employees which I belive in tech support if I recall rigth
    Yes that rigth and just be sure change audio input in thoses app to make use of that input
    I wasn't aware of people reporting that they can't seem to get consistent AC3 output from the card when using the optical input.
    Very odd I know lot SageTV user have this card and use that input how ever we have diff problem it which has nothing to do card it self.

Yes I did. Why would you think otherwise? Sometimes things don't work the way they're documented to work.

I set it up using the built-in wizards with Windows Media Center 7. When that didn't work, I tried the tutorial here:

The tutorial was recommended in the Hauppauge forums. It also did not work, per the step on this page

http://whatworkedforme.net/set-up-tv-signal-in-windows-media-center/

which suggests that if Windows Media Center 7 sees the DirecTV Satellite Receiver as a cable receiver, then "something is wrong". As I reported in my first post, that was the problem. I have posted a question regarding this issue with the author of the tutorial, who did not explain what "something is wrong" might mean. I have yet to receive a reply, so I still don't know why Windows Media Center won't work with the Colossus.
    It has to do with what said (Media Center thinks my DirecTV HR22-100 HD PVR is a digital cable tuner) author of the tutorial show that way and it same thing with DVBLink that how it really works by it fake it as digital cable tuner device becuases MS will not support device.
    MCE can be a real pain in the a$$ there just no get a round that.
    Have try out DVBLink it is the other solution
    There are other 3rdparty like MCE there called Nextpvr, Mediaportal I would say SageTV but as you may or may know it no longer be work on and no telling when Google ver come out if ever

The only codec packs I mentioned were:

1. The ones that come installed with the applications I've been using. Unfortunately, I know of no way to keep programs like Nero 11, Sony Vegas, TSMuxer, or even the programs you recommended (below) to install without also installing their codec packs. How would I do this?

2. Windows 7 Codec Pack - it's actually hard to tell if this is a 3rd party" codec pack, or an update for the codecs that come bundled with Windows 7 Media Player, Media Center, Movie Maker.
    If look rigth here for the word codec pack you fine comman names like Combined Community Codec Pack(CCCP), K-Lite Codec Pack, Win7codecs (aka Windows 7 Codecs), Win8Codecs (aka Windows 8 Codecs), Media Player Codec Pack and XP Codec Pack and so on there good for play back how ever that can make a big mess out of your system registry cause conflicts and kill official codes from work rigth or some case where you install program like Nero and other which come with it codec keep them from working rigth that is what I'm ref to.
    This where VLC media player came in play becuases all it a/v codec are way diff and don't mess with system registry and use ful for all other odd ball stuff that can't be play with in Windows Media Player.
    Windows 7 dose come with own H.264 codec but it not Directshow friendly
    That why I only install codec like DivX, Quicktime, Xvid, AC3Filter(Come with SageTV), Flash and Haali Media Splitter
    CoreAVC + CoreAAC is only one of few that have good directshow support or DivX but leck AAC support that where AC3Filter come in play.

RE Ulead, remember DVD Workshop? That was a fine program. Too bad Corel dumped development on it when they bought Ulead. These days my copy of DVD Workshop still works, it's just stuck in Standard-Def DVD land.
    Yup sure do and love it just as much as MovieFactory and Corel didn't dumped development of they just make big mess out it hehe.

The problem I have with WinTV 7 2.5cd has to do with frame rates. I get random changes in output frame rate when I change other settings, such as aspect ratio. That includes changing the rate from constant to variable, with large changes in min to max frame rates. The output isn't consistent, so I don't use it. If you have a way of controlling frame rate better in WinTV 7, I could use it! The only thing I've found so far outside of the program are the registry keys, but the controls there are more for bit rates than frame rates.
    Hmm can get some screenshot of thoses option of what your playing with
    Just email them to me at shspvrATshspvr.com

I'm afraid that one is a little opaque to me. Not your fault, mine, because I don't recognize the PVR models you're talking about (and I probably even owned one or two of them!!!) Can you rephrase it?
    Sorry I hope this helps
    How ever you must use thoses capture app for your video then you can import in to thoses other 3rdparty apps becuases thoses 3rdparty apps DO NOT work with Hardware H.264 Encoder just like with older MPEG2 encoder WinTV PVR 150, 250 and so on models from Hauppauge.

[/QUOTE]
    As I already mentioned, I never said I was using Windows XP. However to be fair I never said I was using Windows 7, either. What I did say as that I was using Windows 7 Codec Pack. That should have indicated what my OS was.

It becuases you point to Windows XP MCE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

It becuases you point to Windows XP MCE
    Hi SHS,
    Thanks for more info. I'm in a bit of a bind tonight so I don't have much time for an extended response. Here are some quick notes:

1. I didn't provide any links for Windows Media Center. The forum software did that when I posted my message, by way of that option to "Automatically Parse Links in Text". Also, that tutorial I referenced at

is for a Windows 7 platform.

2. VideoReDo: I gave that a quick try but wasn't able to set the bitrate for the output files higher than 19.2 Mbps, even for a "Forced Recode".

There are a few different versions of this program now. The one most of the older forum posts here have been talking about seems to be VideoRedo Plus, which hasn't been updated in 2 years. The one that's being updated now is "VideoRedo TV Suite v4 with H2.64". That was the one I tried, with both the release and BETA versions. The BETA version produced the same result as the release version on the first try - I couldn't set the output bitrate higher than 19.2 Mbps, even for a "forced recode". The BETA version just wouldn't launch after the first run, so I stuck to the release version but was never able to get a higher bitrate.

In addition setting the bitrate to 19.2 Mbps didn't produce output files with anywhere near that high a bitrate. The "overall bit rate" reported by MediaInfo was around 6 Mbps, less than a third of the overall bitrate of the input file, 20Mbps. I think this is because VideoRedo set the bitrate mode to "variable". I was not able to set it to "constant".

For these reasons I wasn't able to get VideoRedo to work the way I needed it to. The source video I've captured has bitrates of 20+Mbps. If VideoRedo can't keep it as high as that, I can't really use it - especially if it's cutting the bitrate to less than a third of the source video.

PS: as I noted in the Windows XP MCE description, any links that appear in this message weren't applied by me.

I'll try to respond to the other points in your message later when I have more time.

Geez, I just now realize that you run that SHS WinTV PVR website. I used to own a WinTv PVR-350 and use it with Ulead DVD Workshop. I used to visit that website for support, too, but never made the connection to your recent posts. Time flies!

Thanks again,
    Alan Mintaka
    Last edited by BOMOON; 3rd Sep 2012 at 19:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should look at your outdate system profile here Alan that why I said what I said about WinXP I guest that you where still on it my bad any way you should update your profile here.
    Yup I run SHS WinTV PVR website
    Last edited by SHS; 3rd Sep 2012 at 19:43.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Alan - For what it's worth, I've never used the Colossus to record anything at a bit rate above maybe 14000 or 15000 Kbps and I've never used VideoReDo to deliberately re-encode a video, so you may well have found limitations in what VideoReDo can do. You may need to contact the people who make VideoReDo and ask them if there are limitations in the bit rates it can handle.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should look at your outdate system profile here Alan that why I said what I said about WinXP I guest that you where still on it my bad any way you should update your profile here.
    Yup I run SHS WinTV PVR website
    Oy! Last time I updated that profile, I had hair! OK, I've updated some stuff, added others. Thanks for pointing that out....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alan - For what it's worth, I've never used the Colossus to record anything at a bit rate above maybe 14000 or 15000 Kbps and I've never used VideoReDo to deliberately re-encode a video, so you may well have found limitations in what VideoReDo can do. You may need to contact the people who make VideoReDo and ask them if there are limitations in the bit rates it can handle.
    Yes, at first I was pretty much driven by what I knew the Canopus ADVC-1394 (which I've been calling the AVCD-1397, naturally) could do with SD bitrates, and of course that max setting in ArcSoft. Also, in the course of dissecting commerical BluRays to see what makes them tick, I've seen bitrates over 30 Mbps.

For WinTV I've been tweaking the registry settings to get CBR of around 20Mbps for the "Best" profile for all resolutions. I'm starting to like WinTV more than Arcsoft now that Im getting more control of it. It's a much simpler program to run and doesn't take forever to load like the ArcSoft "Capture Module."

I would think that if the VideoRedo folks are really interesting in hyping this new H264 capability that they'd want to start handling BluRay bitrates as well, but... I'll head over to their forums and toss out a few suggestions. When I see 19200, I think of baud rates, not bit rates!

BTW the Colossus has been able to capture TS OK at 20Mbps+, at least as far as I can see. Controlling resolutions and frame rates has not been so clear-cut.

Ever start a capturing session with the Colossus, and then change the source video resolution while it's capturing? I've been doing that with my DirecTV HR22-100 HD PVR: start capturing while watching a 1920 X 1080 source, then switch the DirecTV to a 720 X 480 recorded program playback. Interesting things happen in the captured TS file....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ever start a capturing session with the Colossus, and then change the source video resolution while it's capturing? I've been doing that with my DirecTV HR22-100 HD PVR: start capturing while watching a 1920 X 1080 source, then switch the DirecTV to a 720 X 480 recorded program playback. Interesting things happen in the captured TS file....
    When I was with Comcast as my cable provider, they would do this with CBS. It was the only channel I ever recorded that I had this issue with. VideoReDo had a lot of problems with such recordings. Basically I wasn't able to edit them at all. Once the resolution switched during the video (they would do during the show for some strange reason and not just during commercials), it just all went to crap.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ever start a capturing session with the Colossus, and then change the source video resolution while it's capturing?
    When I was with Comcast as my cable provider, they would do this with CBS. It was the only channel I ever recorded that I had this issue with. VideoReDo had a lot of problems with such recordings. Basically I wasn't able to edit them at all. Once the resolution switched during the video (they would do during the show for some strange reason and not just during commercials), it just all went to crap.
    Since I started the experiment, what I've learned pretty much corroborates what you said about not being able to edit files captured during resolution and/or frame rate changes in the programming. Playback is also a problem. WinTV can't playback the files it captures itself if the resolution and/or frame rate changed during the capture. When it gets to the changed section of the clip, it freezes and has to be killed in the Task Manager. VLC can handle such clips, as can ArcSoft Showbiz (!).

This is not to take away from WinTV, since capturing that way is probably not the best practice if you can avoid it. Still, we should be able to use some kind of editor to excise the changed portions of a captured clip if changes in resolution and/or frame rate happen beyond our control.

In fact, maybe the changing frame rate is what causes the biggest problem. When the resolution of my captured clips went from 1920 X 1080 to 720 X 480, the frame rate also changed from 29.97 to 59.94. This suggests (but doesn't necessarily mean) that the scanning mode changed from progressive to interlaced. It's hard to tell with a program like MediaInfo because MediaInfo seems to report the state of the file at the start of the clip only. Sometimes the word "progressive" is present with a frame rate of 29.97 OR 59.94, sometimes not. It's all pretty confusing to a hacker-newbie mentality like mine.

Anyway, consistency of resolution and frame rate, if I can get it, is what I'll be trying to do with my captures from now on.

PS: Another program that can't handle resolution/frame rate changes in captured files is that "XiliSoft Video Converter Ultimate". If you try to re-render a captured file that contains such changes, the program crashes when it gets to the changed part of the clip.

Looks like the AVS Video Converter 8 is emerging as the one video tool I have which can consistently re-render files captured by the Colossus without crashing, regardless of what program captured them, what capture profile was used, and whether or not something like resolution or frame rate changed during capturing. If "without crashing" also means producing files I can edit in high-end (read: "expensive bloatware") programs like Vegas (still working on that), I may have my solution in hand. I still have to chop away at the mountain of variables in all the files I've been capturing to see what I can render and prepare into watchable BluRays.

Or, I could still return the Colossus to Amazon per an agreement I have with them, and try something else. IF HD capturing doesn't work out, there's always the Canopus, still capturing SD video at 30Mbps bitrates......
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Can't the framerate or resolution (and maybe some other things) change on you abruptly, any time there is a commercial, promo, or use of some archival footage in a broadcast ? If so, that's gotta be like trying to run across a floor strewn with banana peels . . . ?!

In that case, stay away from stuff like the Olympics coverage.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Can't the framerate or resolution (and maybe some other things) change on you abruptly, any time there is a commercial, promo, or use of some archival footage in a broadcast ? If so, that's gotta be like trying to run across a floor strewn with banana peels . . . ?!
    Certainly it can, which is the example that jman98 was talking about with CBS. In my own case it's unlikely at this time, because the type of programming I happen to be capturing is Video On Demand features without commercial interruption.

I had been causing it deliberately by starting a capture session while tuned to a different satellite channel, then changing to the Video On Demand Features. In the process of doing that, the resolution and frame rate were changed during capture. I just wanted to see what would happen, and if I could "fool" the Colossus into capturing at frame rates and resolutions different than those of the Video On Demand Features.

Thus in a roundabout way I found out what happens if those things are changed by the content provider during a capture session. It makes sense that playback or editing software could get messed up by such changes in content, and that the fix would be to find an editor that can import the video without errors and allow you to slice out the clips with different resolutions and rates.

That would be one approach to fixing a video with changing resolutions and rates, and I'm sure that folks who actually know what they're doing have other methods. But capturing network content with resolutions and frame rates that change from HD to SD during commercial interruptions, for example, has got to be like wading through your banana metaphor.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...The card has a TBC feature that has been a godsend for some of my video tapes. I love the card...
    Hi jman98,

Transcribing VHS tapes is next on my to-do list of things to learn with this card. With the Canopus, the connection part of the operation was pretty straightforward:

Sony SLV-D360P VCR: Composite Video/Analog Audio -> Canopus: Composite Video/Analog Audio
    (this Sony is a DVD/VCR combo that has an S-Video out, but it's "DVD Only")

or

Panasonic PV-S4266 VCR (Reggie Vision !!!): S-Video/Analog Audio -> Canopus: S-Video/Analog Audio

where

"quality" was whatever you could get, trying both VCRs and messing with the tracking of the playback. For various capturing programs I used, the recordings were always in "Native" format, as in AVI/Stereo, with amazingly high bitrates for SD video - 20+Mbps.

You were talking about the TBC feature of the Colossus and how this has helped with VHS transcriptions. I was wondering if there were any tricks to using it other than just enabling it with a registry setting.

So far, the documentation for using Time Base Correction with the Colossus has been limited to what I could find in various forums and on Wikipedia. I found this in a SageTV forum for enabling TBC:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\hcwD1capture\Parameters\0]
    "Enable_TBC"=dword:00000001

At the moment my Hauppauge host PC is tied up doing a long video conversion so I don't want to risk fooling around with the Windows Registry Editor to see if the key these days looks more or less the same (I assume it does, I'll find it even if it doesn't).

Did you set/modify other registry keys, or just that one? Also, did you leave it set for other types of capturing via Component or HDMI, or did you clear it once you were done with the VHS transcriptions?

I found other documentation about how to set up the physical connection if your VCRs have S-Video or Composite Video out, but not component:

Run the S-Video or Composite connector on the VCR to the Blue connector on the Hauppauge adapter harness, and configure the card for composite capture (Composite "Channel" in WinTV).

It already sounds too simple to me, especially with all the problems I've been having just dealing with the capture files produced by the Colossus. Are there any "tricks" to the VHS transcription process that you've found handy?

Thanks for your time,
    Alan Mintaka
    Last edited by BOMOON; 7th Sep 2012 at 02:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used VideoRedo for editing and fix audio sync problems with my Hauppauge HD-PVR
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    BOMOON - Thank you for the reminder about the registry setting for TBC. I had to completely reinstall my drivers a few weeks ago and since then I have not captured any VHS tapes. I forgot about that and just did it. There's no magic to it. Just make the change and when you start ShowBiz it will show up under Format Settings, but it's greyed out so you can only turn it on and off at the registry. There are no other settings for TBC and nothing else to do once you turn it on.

You will have to start regedit and you will need to know how to use regedit and how to add an entry. Note that the entry does NOT exist and you must add it to the specified place in the registry. I modified no other keys and I've just left it set for all my captures. Mostly I do laserdisc or TV captures. Yes there actually some things that are only on laserdisc still, believe it or not. For example, Disney is rather infamous for having put out some special features on their deluxe laserdisc sets that they never ported over to DVD or BD.

There are no VHS tricks that I have used. I do not use the latest free version of ShowBiz for the card because it does not allow you to set the bit rate of your capture, making it a "no go" for me. It allows you to set other options though like level that the version of ShowBiz I am using does not allow you to set. I only capture via component. I use this device to convert composite video to component:
    http://www.ambery.com/costorgrgbco.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only capture via component. I use this device to convert composite video to component:

Is this the same unit as the Leukeng, much discussed here in other threads ? I think it came in both To Component and To HDMI versions, sold under a few brand nameplates.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Seeker47 - I have no idea. Sorry. I provided the link where I bought it and that's all I know.

Is your spelling correct? I can't find squat on a Google search for Leukeng except some Chinese guys name Leu Keng.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seeker47 - I have no idea. Sorry. I provided the link where I bought it and that's all I know.

Is your spelling correct? I can't find squat on a Google search for Leukeng except some Chinese guys name Leu Keng.
    No, I mis-remembered the name. It's Lenking. I thought for sure those threads were over here, but it's possible they were over at AVS. Either way, it engendered some major arguments about relative Picture Quality amongst competing units, and just what PQ was going to be considered good enough. A couple other bookmarks I had at Amazon now seem to go 404, and I'm temporarily in the wrong place to look up some other bookmark files, but these might be examples of the unit in question:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=...seq=1&format=2

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite-S-Video-Converter-3RCA/dp/B0047PDBP0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

One VH member to check with about this is Orsetto.

I actually have the HDMI version, and have had it for awhile, but re-jiggering the wiring connections in the location where I most needed to test this out is a big PITA, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm basically waiting until I have several things to transfer -- over a couple of work sessions -- with the time to devote to this.

There may have been a bigger selection of converters on the Component To S-Video / Composite side than going from HDMI, but at this point I can't recall. I was willing to try both solutions, as a workaround to a problem I've been having due to apparent firmware changes in the DirecTV HD boxes.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are no VHS tricks that I have used. I do not use the latest free version of ShowBiz for the card because it does not allow you to set the bit rate of your capture, making it a "no go" for me. It allows you to set other options though like level that the version of ShowBiz I am using does not allow you to set. I only capture via component. I use this device to convert composite video to component:
    Hi jman98,
    Sorry for the delay in this response. I must have missed the thread update notice.

Thanks for the link to the composite/component convertor. That's the kind of tool I think I need with these old VCRs and the Colossus.

You said you were using an older version of Showbiz. What version is it? I'd like to take a look at those bit rate controls in the older versions...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The version of ShowBiz I have is 3.5.17.76.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    hi , its possible record directv movie channels via hdmi with colossus? i only can get 540 -550 range working
    other channels turns on off signal

any trick? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Colossus only records unencrypted HDMI signals, so perhaps the other channels are encrypted in some way. Usually for things like Showtime, HBO, satellite TV, you really need to use the component video for recording to avoid problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ok i just test colossus againts hd avermedia pci express with hack for hdmi, problem with other one drop frames a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    ok i just test colossus againts hd avermedia pci express with hack for hdmi, problem with other one drop frames a lot.
    In my old PC (C2D E6600+4GB) record 1080i fine, no dropped any frame.

In my actual PC its same.

I use HDMI exploit + Averaide + AmarecTV (UT VIDEO ULY2) = Perfect capture.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    In my old PC (C2D E6600+4GB) record 1080i fine, no dropped any frame.

In my actual PC its same.

I use HDMI exploit + Averaide + AmarecTV (UT VIDEO ULY2) = Perfect capture.

Claudio
    hi cauptain i think you upload that package thanks

problem happens with avermedia center, meanwhile it is capturing screen turns off and center icon appears (same one when you choose video signal)
    averide? what is? sorry......
    amarectv i give a try.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

hi cauptain i think you upload that package thanks

problem happens with avermedia center, meanwhile it is capturing screen turns off and center icon appears (same one when you choose video signal)
    averide? what is? sorry......
    amarectv i give a try.

thanks
    It this:

Name:  PvOTC.png
Views: 3145
Size:  7.1 KB

A single software to enable driver exploit from 3rd softwares, like AmarecTV

Dislike record via AMC, because mpeg2 only 30k in 720p or 40k in 1080i. For me only cartoon in AMC.

Claudio
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote