+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15
FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Caple View Post
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Does anyone have new information about the AC3 audio capture?
    My set top box does not have the option to choose dolby or not, but the audio coming from the HDMI port is AC3.
    If I capture with the "Disable HDMI AC3 Support" I get mp2 audio and a clear imagem. If the option is unchecked I get AC3 audio, but jerky playback on both audio and video.
    Any tips?
    There not point it doing AC3 if all your channel are only in stereo the point with AC3 is for Dolby Digital 5.1.
    HDMI+AC3 can be a real pain to get working so if have Digital Optical output on your Cable Box use it to HD-PVR 2 other then that as far I know of only Console seem to work the best AC3 as you have option to choose and manual select audio output formats like AAC, Dolby Digital, DTS and Linear PCM.
    I have channels that broadcast in 5.1 also. But they usually broadcast 5.1 when it's a live concert or something like that.
    But I'll have the problem if it's broadcasting in 5.1. It seems to be a problem when the channel uses AC3.
    If the broadcast is mpg audio I have no problems capturing, with the option turned on or off.
    But as the card is advertised as capable of capturing AC3 on HDMI, I'd like to do that. Don't want to use optical. :/
    BTW, I'm using a Colossus, not a HD PVR 2. But they are almost the same, right?
    This can be real pain in rear, Keep in mind that HD-PVR 1/2, Colossus 1/2 can record AC3 but HDMI+AC3 can be a real pain to get working 100% so if have Digital Optical output on your Cable Box or what ever your using to HD-PVR, Colossus that is the best option as far I know of only Console seem to work the best AC3 and HDMI as you have option to choose and manual select audio output formats like AAC, Dolby Digital, DTS and Linear PCM.
    The problem is you can not manuel set audio input EDID audio input formats so there for you would need something a ViewHD VHD-H2HSAs in order to get a round some the problem, other then just turn off dolby sorry there nothing any one can even I have to deal it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand. I thought it would work, because of this text on the Hauppauge Capture PDF:

Disable HDMI AC3 Support: modifies the Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) to advertise whether or not AC3 audio is supported.

Anyway, I'll buy a optical cable to test.
    Thanx for the replies, everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried Arcsoft Showbiz.
    Captures AC3 using HDMI without any problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the Hauppauge Software doesn't work but Showbiz dose is that right?.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So the Hauppauge Software doesn't work but Showbiz dose is that right?.
    Talking specifically about capturing AC3 over HDMI, yes. At least for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I am also having issues with Hauppauge Capture software. But Archsoft Showbiz working fine with Colossus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only I can think of is you have the Microphone Enable this will not work with it on.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally acquired a Colossus (will install later this evening) and not being familiar with any of the currently available compatible capture programs I was wondering if there are any known conflicts between them making it not wise to have more than one installed at a time while testing features? Since my main concern is the ability to schedule recording I'm leaning towards testing WinTV-7, WMC, MediaPortal. In addition to recording I'd also like the ability to adjust bitrate (up to card max) when required while also producing a VideoReDo editable captures.

Any insight on possible conflicts or your personal software choice suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Very very few recording programs work with Colossus. I don't think WMC works at all. I've never tested MediaPortal. Some version of WinTV does work, but I no longer use it as I have no reason to do timer recordings any more.

I can tell you that if you use Arcsoft's ShowBiz (this may no longer be included with Colossus) that you can't ever upgrade the version that came on the DVD disc with the card or you will permanently lose the ability to make captures by specific bit rates. Upgraded versions of ShowBiz only capture at a pre-selected bit rate you can't change. Hauppauge developed their own capture software and I've never used it or installed it because I was afraid it might impact ShowBiz and capturing at specific bit rates is VERY important to me. I don't know if Hauppauge Capture (I think that's the name) allows you to specify bit rates or not. I can only tell you that WinTV and ShowBiz played nicely with each other.

The card does have an upper bit rate capture limit, assuming your software will let you specify it. I believe it's been reported that somewhere around 20 Mbps is the max.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Very very few recording programs work with Colossus. I don't think WMC works at all. I've never tested MediaPortal. Some version of WinTV does work, but I no longer use it as I have no reason to do timer recordings any more.
    WMC does work with the Colossus, if you install the WMC plug-in from Hauppauge. I actually did do that. From personal experience NextPVR works too. I liked NextPVR better, because of aspect ratio options and its ability to use FireWire channel changing with my cable box. Note that you have to run a 32-bit Windows OS and have a compatible cable box to use FireWire for changing channels.

Media Portal uses NextPVR for TV, as I recall. XBMC/Kodi can as well
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jman98!

Your experience with Showbiz is the exact type of information I am fishing for, good to know. As far as I can determine it looks like WMC and MediaPortal have drivers written for Colossus while WMC even looks to be Hauppauge certified (or at least given the nod of approval). Yes, Hauppauge Capture, from a cursory online look, seems it may possibly have fewer capture options.

Just got the card in my hands a few minutes ago. Will probably start off with WinTV-7; wait and see if I get any additional suggestions/cautions.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appreciate the reply usually_quiet! Looks like we got caught in a cross-post.

That works out perfect. The system I'll be installing it in is running 32-bit, D-VHS and MyHD. One thing great is firewire doesn't blank out HDMI the way using component does.

I recall you mentioning some time ago about using NextPVR for channel changing. That might be a good option for me as I've read a fair number of people having Hauppauge Blaster glitches. Will be interesting to see if the Blaster is compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Appreciate the reply usually_quiet! Looks like we got caught in a cross-post.

That works out perfect. The system I'll be installing it in is running 32-bit, D-VHS and MyHD. One thing great is firewire doesn't blank out HDMI the way using component does.

I recall you mentioning some time ago about using NextPVR for channel changing. That might be a good option for me as I've read a fair number of people having Hauppauge Blaster glitches. Will be interesting to see if the Blaster is compatible.
    I never used the Hauppauge Colossus receiver/blaster. I have a MCE remote and preferred to use its IR receiver/IR blaster with both WMC and NextPVR.

I still have the Colossus installed, and can still answer some questions about it, but it isn't being used anymore. After using the Colossus for 6 months I found recording one channel at a time wasn't enough. I got a CableCARD tuner and returned my cable box about two weeks ago. At some point I'll box up the Colossus for safekeeping, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply usually_quiet!

It's up-n-running so I now have a couple observances and questions about the supplied software (prior to moving on to try a 3rd party PVR). I wasn't going to install Showbiz but blindly clicked the software install button from the CD expecting to get an install options list but it instead, without prompt, installed WinTV-v7 and Showbiz. No problem really as I've now had a chance to explore both. Interestingly when I clicked the WinTV "Check for updates" it advised there was one and it was a v8! I can find no reference to this on Hauppauge's site. I still decided to give it a go but it failed install saying a DLL requiring update was in use. Not being able to release it I simply rebooted to then retry but now when I check for updates it says there are none available. Hmmmm.

WinTV-7 v7.2
    1. Under the WinTV-7 settings capture tab I find no recording options for digital capture, only analog. Are all digital settings automatic?
    2. When clicking: Tuner Setup > Set Top Box > Internet Lookup (channels) it provides channel listings but only the first 100. Since I don't yet have the Blaster configured I'm simply wondering if this is the norm and whether or not higher numbered channels have to (or can even) be manually entered?
    3. Since quality of live playback in the app is of no concern I expect enabling "hardware acceleration" is not required and probably best left disabled?

Showbiz v3.5
    1. The H264 Encoder tab options are a complete mystery. Since my captures will consist of 1080i and 720p, not downscaling and ultimately choosing to cap at either CBR/max (for later editing) or VBR at an acceptable quality (quick use) I'm curious as to what I should or shouldn't tick/change in that tab. I've run tests using High@L4 with both CBR and VBR and they look good but I'd like to make sure I'm not not missing other required setting changes on that tab.
    2. Is it possible to save capture profiles?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    **EDIT** -- Yikes! Looks like v8.0 is old news.

I was having difficulty installing the latest WinTV-7 update (previous was off CD) from the Hauppauge website as it kept saying one DLL after another was running so I cleared all Haup drivers and software to perform a clean install of the latest app. Still had the DLL warnings and found it was initializing the WinTV tray apps as they were in being installed, inevitably they were running the shared DLL's. After killing those process install completed. Anyhow, the image below is the update prompt for v8.0 which I was able to generate again after this clean install.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1364
Size:  12.3 KB
    Last edited by Golem; 27th Mar 2015 at 20:55.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WinTV-7 v7.2
    1. Under the WinTV-7 settings capture tab I find no recording options for digital capture, only analog. Are all digital settings automatic?
    2. When clicking: Tuner Setup > Set Top Box > Internet Lookup (channels) it provides channel listings but only the first 100. Since I don't yet have the Blaster configured I'm simply wondering if this is the norm and whether or not higher numbered channels have to (or can even) be manually entered?
    3. Since quality of live playback in the app is of no concern I expect enabling "hardware acceleration" is not required and probably best left disabled?
    1. Not exactly. You have to go into Settings, select the the Colsossus on the Devices tab and run Tuner Setup to pick an input source. I'm not sure if the analog quality Good, Better, Best settings on the Capture tab matter. I think that the last settings made with ArcSoft ShowBiz are used, although I'm not certain. Although I tried WinTV, I didn't really use WinTV for recording or watching TV.

2. There were multiple listings for my provider in the drop-down list. One of them provided all my channels. I do not see any way to add the missing channels manually, except during tuner setup.

3. Use hardware acceleration. It can't hurt.

Showbiz v3.5
    1. The H264 Encoder tab options are a complete mystery. Since my captures will consist of 1080i and 720p, not downscaling and ultimately choosing to cap at either CBR/max (for later editing) or VBR at an acceptable quality (quick use) I'm curious as to what I should or shouldn't tick/change in that tab. I've run tests using High@L4 with both CBR and VBR and they look good but I'd like to make sure I'm not not missing other required setting changes on that tab.
    2. Is it possible to save capture profiles?
    My H.264 Encoder settings, no downscaling, are pictured here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370028-Hauppauge-HDPVR-2-sound-issue?p=2376614&view...=1#post2376614

I use 256 kbps for the AAC bitrate. 192 kbps was for a test. However, since I normally capture AC3 audio it doesn't matter.

On the Video Encoder tab I chose Variable Bitrate encoding, 12 Mbps and 16 Mbps.

The last settings used are normally retained. I don't believe Hauppauge's bundled version of Arcsoft ShowBiz provides a way to save and load capture profiles.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Again, appreciate the detailed reply usually_quiet! I apologize for the delayed response, was out of town for a bit.

To preface; Just before my hiatus I did upgrade to WinTV v8 and find no significant differences, at least none that impact my setup.

I too had multiple options (3) in WinTV applicable to my Comcast region for TV listings unfortunately they were 100% identical in both channel association and 0-100 limit. Haven't yet attempted manual input.

Sure seems you and I have the same threshold for quality with your Encoder tab settings mirrors that of mine in Showbiz. Testing showed VBR between 12 & 16 provided very acceptable recordings. Really didn't see a whole lot of difference when cranked up to CBR/20 although I will use it if re-encoding/editing. Also noted that film quality also makes a big difference in recording quality. Clean sharp film prints look great while the grittier film effect plays havoc with h.264 generating noticeable blockiness/artifacts especially in the darker scenes. All commercials look fabulous even down to 10mb/s VBR.

In the coming week or so I'll install one of the 3'rd party PVR software and be sure to generate additional questions.

Btw, VHD-1X2MN3D works a charm and well worth $20. Time to get another for a backup.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    I have one
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    i bet shs has all kind of hauppuage products
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    i bet shs has all kind of hauppuage products
    You beat now if I could con them out of that hauppauge 4860 motherboard
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    I have one
    How does it work compared to the original Colossus when it comes to working with the output files?

I have the original Colossus and have to jump through hoops to get Sony Vegas to recognize the recorded TS files. Specifically I have to first do a QuickStream fix using VideoRedo. Then I have to demux the QuckStream output file using TSDoctor.

At that point I have an H264 video file and an AAC audio file. Vegas will read the H264 file, but I have to use Audacity to convert the AAC audio to WAV. That's when I can import the WAV file into Vegas.

Amazingly, the video and audio are still in sync after all that. Don't ask me how.

So how are the Colossus 2 output files for working with video editors such as Vegas or anything else?

Thanks for your time,
    Alan Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Colossus 2 is supposed to be an internal version of the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2, which has the same TS problems as the Colossus. A better question is why do you insist on using Sony Vegas when it is a such pain in the butt to use with the Colossus? VideoReDo edits video and are other programs that you could try for authoring Blu-Ray.

Also, VideoReDo can demultiplex its video and audio output. Does that work less well than demultiplexing with TSDoctor?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alan I don't like Sony Vegas it nothing but a headache where I need a new remedies relief pill hahaha
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using an internal colossus served from a VHD-1X2MN3D for quite some time and it works perfectly. I decided today I was going to temporarily route an HDMI cable from an adjacent computer in order to capture from it. Unfortunately I can get no audio with this swap. Audio-over-HDMI is how the adjacent computer is set up and works fine. Since all I'm doing is unplugging one HDMI cable (at the card) and plugging another in I can't figure it. There shouldn't be any configuration changes required...I would assume. There has to be something stupid simple I'm overlooking.

Any insight appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, disregard my previous post. Finally figured out the list of playback devices would add Colossus upon transferring HDMI cable requiring it to be activated.

Now I have a current concern. When recording using Colossus via HDMI served form another computer there is a fair amount of clipping during high action scenes. Seems to make no difference whether it's SD or HD content. The same capture computer, on a daily basis, has no problem using the same card capturing full HDMI via a VHD-1X2MN3D while simultaneously recording OTA full HD through an MDP-100. Activating hardware acceleration offers no improvement. I recall experiencing this many years ago while capturing with fragged HDDs but this should not be a current consideration.

Insight appreciated.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_7_6_19_39_14.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	37698  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Test that same clip in a diff video player like VLC turn on and off deinterlace mode
    If your set top box allow for it try force in to 720p mode in the video resolution setting see if that solve your interlaced issues Golem
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    When recording using Colossus via HDMI served form another computer there is a fair amount of clipping during high action scenes.
    What do you mean by clipping? Is that picture supposed to show it?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies!

@SHS
    I tested the clip in WMP, VideoRedo and ZoomPlayer (deinterlace on and off), no difference.

The "clipping" I note is only happening when recording content served from another computer. Recording content from a set-top box has always been (and still is) pristine. What I'm attempting to do is expand my Colossus capturing to include web-streaming content. As a test I played full screen in ZoomPlayer an interlaced full-HD movie and served it from one comp to the capture comp and noted the same "clipping" with and without deinterlace activated. So it seems this anomaly is not isolated to streaming content but is more a factor of comp-to-comp recording.

@jagabo
    Not sure my terminology is correct. By clipping I'm speaking of the interlace looking line 2/3 down on the image.

I've uploaded a sample clip that was captured from veoh.com.
    Clip - 11 Mb. / 36 sec. Sample Clip via Mediafire
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    @jagabo
    Not sure my terminology is correct. By clipping I'm speaking of the interlace looking line 2/3 down on the image.
    That's called tearing (as in, the image is torn). It happens when the video frame buffer is changed as a frame is being displayed. In your case, I believe the computer that is playing the video is switching frame buffers while it is still displaying the frame. So the capture device gets a frame that is part one frame of the video and part the next. Look for vertical sync options in the player and graphics card settings.
    Quote Quote