VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I just bought Colossus and I am having trouble capping 1080i video at 50 frames per second using WinTV. I searched a lot for PVR softwares but couldn't find much help. RCTVCAP looked like a solution but its a pain to set up.

Even the 1080i video I captured at 25fps using WinTV looked quite bad so I'm desperately looking for a PVR that could give me flawless video as a result.

I hope you guys could recommend a few options to capture from Colossus.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1080i is 25 frames per second, 50 fields per second. There is no such thing as 1080i at 50 frames per second.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Colossus comes with ArcSoft ShowBiz which you can use for capture. Why are you not using that?

What is your video source that you are trying to capture? And define what you mean by "quite bad". What exactly is bad?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nikk2718 View Post
    I just bought Colossus and I am having trouble capping 1080i video at 50 frames per second using WinTV. I searched a lot for PVR softwares but couldn't find much help. RCTVCAP looked like a solution but its a pain to set up.
    Even the 1080i video I captured at 25fps using WinTV looked quite bad so I'm desperately looking for a PVR that could give me flawless video as a result.
    Do you know what the bit rates of your captured files are? I've been using WinTV with some success, but I've also modified the "good", "better", and "best" quality profiles inthe Windows Registry to increase the default bitrates for each profile. I also changed the bit rate mode from "variable" to "constant".

In WinTV, click on the "settings" (sprocket) button, then click on the "Capture" tab. Make sure the "Default Analog Recording Quality" is set to "Best". That will get you the highest default bit rate for whatever resolution you're capturing.

If you want to play with those registry settings, just post another question. I don't have them handy at the moment but once you know where they are, they're not difficult to change. When I have time to get to the other PC that's running WinTV, I'll get them and update this message if you haven't responded.

Also, what inputs are you using? HMDI, component, composite, or S-Video? And what is your video source (cable box, satellite receiver/DVR, etc).

Alan Mintaka

PS: if you don't have a copy of the free program MediaInfo, you might want to get one and install it. Many of us use it here to report the properties of our captured files, i.e. bit rate, bit rate mode, frame rate, compression format, and whole slew of other things, some of which I actually understand!!

You can get MediaInfo by clicking on the link in this message (the word "MediaInfo" in the above paragraph).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nikk2718: I think you should try the ArcSoft Showbiz and chose AVCHD as your recording profile. I don't have the Colossus but I do have the HD PVR by Hauppauge and from what I gather there is a lot of similarities at least software wise. I have had excellent quality video captures so far.

I don't have WinTV installed. I do have the WinTV scheduler installed but it doesn't work properly because it has a little shield icon and a warning about User Account Control. I don't understand about that, but I don't want to steal the thread, so we should focus on Nikk2718's issue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought Colossus and I am having trouble capping 1080i video at 50 frames per second using WinTV. I searched a lot for PVR softwares but couldn't find much help. RCTVCAP looked like a solution but its a pain to set up.

Hey Nikk,
    I forgot to mention a simple trick that may help with recording quality.

First, set up and start a recording session as you usually do (and don't forget to that the Settings | General | Default Analog Recording Quality is set to "Best").

Immediately after you click on the "Record" button and you see the video playing on WinTV's monitor, click on the "Pause" button.

Note that this does NOT pause the recording. It only pauses WinTV's monitor. You'll have to watch your TV to know when to press the "Stop" button.

The reason this may help is that although the Hauppauge uses its own hardware to perform capturing, your PC's CPU has to run that monitor. If your machine is slow like mine, the monitor uses a high percentage of CPU activity when it's running. This can affect recording quality because WinTV also has to use the CPU to perform hard disk writing of your recorded file.

I was having chronic problems with recording quality too, until one of the posters here suggested that I "disable monitoring". Pressing the PAUSE button on WinTV's monitor is how this is done.

Hope this helps,
    Alan Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks everyone for the quick response. I am trying to capture a few sporting events with quite a lot of graphics and text involved. I've tried both WinTV and Arcsoft Showbiz and my the Bitrate of my files captured with Showbiz was 20MB just like I set in the options menu. The problem I got is that when I view my recorded files closely, I see quite a lot of pixelation particularly around the logos and other graphics and the text also doesn't seem as clear as some of the videos I've come to see from other capers. I first thought there was something wrong with my graphics card settings so I tried playing the file on the PlayStation 3 but it still looked quite ordinary. My system is Core i3 / 3.0Ghz / 8GB Ram / 2TB Hard Drive. The recorded quality is still very smooth and clear but not quite as high as I was expecting. I was hoping if you guys could recommend any other application that I might try to capture from just for comparison sake. Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My system is Core i3 / 3.0Ghz / 8GB Ram / 2TB Hard Drive. The recorded quality is still very smooth and clear but not quite as high as I was expecting. I was hoping if you guys could recommend any other application that I might try to capture from just for comparison sake. Cheers!
    With a Core i3 you're out of my league, that's for certain. I'm doing my recording from on a P4 machine, Dell Dimension 8400. Not only that, I've found through trial and error experience that I get my best results rendering the captured files for Blu-Ray using AVC compression. It works great all right, but rendering on this machine takes so long, I swear I can hear the glaciers approaching by the time I finally finish a Blu-Ray

Have you tried the trick of clicking on the Pause button in WinTV after you start your recording?

Also, you say that the bit rate is 20MB/s. Is that a variable or constant bit rate? The reason I ask this is because the kind of pixelation you're describing is sometimes caused by a low bit rate. If you're recording in VBR mode, it could be that lower bit rates are being used during recording from time to time, depending on whatever algorithm is used in VBR mode to control bit rate.

There is a registry setting to force a constant bit rate in WinTV. It can't hurt to try, a might just resolve those pixelation problems.

Here's a registry key that points to the bit rate and VBR/CBR mode settings for a capture resolution of 1080i:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hauppauge\TVServer\HDP VR\1080i\Best]

Just in case you haven't played with the registry before, you can get started by clicking on the Windows "Start" button, then on "Run", and enter "regedit" in the program field.

I'm making the blind, junk science assumption that your OS is a version of Windows that has a taskbar with a "Start" button. Sorry it I'm wrong about this. If you're running Windows 8, I have no idea what to do about registry settings, even if the "registry" for Windows 8 is in any way similar to the one in previous OS versions.

Anyway - to set the bit rate recording mode to CBR, change the key "AnalogBitRateMode" from 0 to 1.

You can also set the bit rate values with the other keys in this folder. I wasn't sure which one would be used for the bit rate if CBR was enabled, so I set all three bit rate keys to the same value:

AnalogBitrateAvg=20000000
    AnalogBitrateMin=20000000
    AnalogBitrateMax=20000000

In other words, 20MB/s for all three. In the registry you will see these values in hexadecimal format, but when you edit them you can enter them in base 10 by selecting a control in the little editing popup.

If nothing else, this will at least rule out a low bit rate as the cause of those pixelation problems you're seeing.

In the "parent folder" or key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hauppauge\TVServer\HDP VR\]

you can see keys for quality profiles for the other capture resolutions. The same controls can be adjusted for each of those to select either CBR or VBR, and set the bitrate values.

Finally, in the WinTV Settings | Capture tab, you can select a "Default Analog Recording Quality" that will set the recording parameters to whatever you've entered in the registry for each of the resolutions. It give you a little more control over how things are done, provided you remember what you've entered for each of the "quality" profiles.

I use my registry settings to switch from CBR ("Best") to VBR ("Good") with the same max bitrate, just for experimentation purposes. I've found through experience that CBR works better for me, provided I remember to click on the PAUSE button in WinTV as soon as I start a recording.

Hope this helps,
    Alan Mintaka
    Last edited by BOMOON; 3rd Feb 2013 at 18:11.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nikki2718 - Sports on TV are a poor choice for testing your card. Many TV providers are known to use lowish bit rates. For all we know you are doing a very faithful capture of the video you are getting and you're just not noticing the defects in the broadcast. The bit rates that I know Comcast was using when I was a customer are low enough to cause pixelation in some sporting events. This is just an example.

I suggest instead that you capture a TV drama or comedy show of some kind and see what it looks like.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmyjimz View Post
    please visit my blog
    SPAM SPAM SPAM

Moderators, please axe that post.

Thanks,
    Alan Mintaka

UPDATE: thank you, johns0! You can remove this post too if you'd like - there's no point in keeping it in the forum now.
    Last edited by BOMOON; 6th Dec 2012 at 16:19. Reason: ACK and thanks to johns0 for removing the SPAM post
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by BOMOON View Post
    Also, you say that the bit rate is 20MB/s. Is that a variable or constant bit rate? The reason I ask this is because the kind of pixelation you're describing is sometimes caused by a low bit rate. If you're recording in VBR mode, it could be that lower bit rates are being used during recording from time to time, depending on whatever algorithm is used in VBR mode to control bit rate.
    Constant. Also, Showbiz is probably my preferred choice at the moment cause it gives you more control over settings than WinTV but I would also try your registry tip soon. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Only just started to get emails for this thread yet I've been sub'd (on instant, now switching to weekly) since it's inception, weird.
    Last edited by jalyst; 6th Dec 2012 at 05:03.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Only just started to get emails for this thread yet I've been sub'd (on instant, now switching to weekly) since it's inception, weird.

I'm also on "instant" and it seems to work fine for me.

HOWEVER - I routinely check my SPAM mailbox to make certain that non-SPAM emails aren't accidently forwarded there. There have been times when I've found the thread notifications in the SPAM folder. I flag them as non-SPAM but occasional foul-ups still happen.

My email program of choice at the moment is Yahoo. If whatever mail program you're using has an auto-SPAM filter set up, you might want to check the SPAM folder dump to see if the notifications are showing up there.

Alan Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
  14. Nope def. not that, using Tbird on OSX, POP-ing into Gmail acct, checked SPAM folders there too but nothing, oh well, hopefully it'll no longer be an issue going forward.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    BOMOON: When you have that new computer built, you are going to have a much more powerful chip than your current Pentium 4. I can't say for sure, but if an encode takes 8 hours now, perhaps with an i7 computer it might be down to 2 or 3 hours.
    I suspect it will be closer to 1 hour.
    Hey Guys, and Happy Holidays,

Well, I've been driven to take the plunge with an i7 machine. What happened was that I got "fancy" with a 30 minute animated clip, 1920 X 1080i, in Sony Vegas. I found a You Tube tutorial that showed how to use the the Saturation Adjust and Unsharp Mask FX effects to work wonders with the clip. In preview it worked great. Then I went to render it using AVC compression, with one of the pre-defined Vegas profiles that I already knew would not require re-encoding in DVD Architect.

It's still rendering after a full day. According to the "time left" status, the total time for rendering a 30 minute HD clip with those FX effects applied will be about 35 hours !!!

ARRRGGGGGH!

I saw that "estimated time left" status after about a half hour of starting the render and immediately started ponying up the bucks to get a bare-boned i7 system.

The Hauppauge Colossus has turned out to be great for capturing HD at 1080i, but I just can't work with the captured files on this Dimension 8400 any more. Not only that, but Sony has gone to 64-bit software only with their Vegas and DVD Architect upgrades. I can now fully understand the rationale behind that move now that I've tried to handle HD files with a P4 and 32-bit OS.

I'm not building the system myself. I deferred to my ignorance and finagled with Dell to get a starter system that made sense as far as I was able to tell: XPS 8500, i7 3.9 GHz, schlock AMD graphics card (it's a throwaway - I couldn't get a system without it, and I'll be replacing it down the line), no monitor (I already have a Dell S2209W 16:9 1920 X 1080p), 8GB RAM to start (will upgrade to 16 GB later), wired keyboard, OEM laser mouse.

There are 3 spare PCI X1 slots, so transferring the Hauppauge won't be a problem. Alas, there's only one PCI X16 slot, which the graphics card will use. However for authoring and review purposes, the integrated 5.1 audio will take the place of the HT Omega Striker 7.1 that I originally wanted to use. I really don't need a PCI X16 slot for anything else.

There are also spare 5.25 floppy drive bays, so I can transfer my LG Blu-Ray burner drive from the 8400. Basically it will do everything that I was trying to do with the 8400, but with the added horsepower of an i7 CPU.

In addition to the i7 CPU, I requested Windows 7 64-bit, not Windows 8. That will enable me to stay on the upgrade path with Vegas. Windows 8 may happen in the future but I'm placing that on a low-priority back burner.

It was definitely a budget and lack of expertise based purchase. For the kinds of things I do with HD video, I think it will give me what I need for the near future, at least.

Meanwhile, there are still 10 hours left on that render with the 8400. I'm starting to wonder if it will finish before the XPS arrives.

Sigh,
    Alan Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
  16. BOMOON: I am glad you got your i7 computer. I don't think I can afford to get one; but I might be able to afford another HP i5 towards spring. Please lets us know how you like your new i7 and how fast it encodes your videos. I feel sorry for your current computer 35 hours laboring on an encode; I would be freaking out at how hot that would make the computer, I worry a little even with the i5.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    BOMOON: When you have that new computer built, you are going to have a much more powerful chip than your current Pentium 4. I can't say for sure, but if an encode takes 8 hours now, perhaps with an i7 computer it might be down to 2 or 3 hours.
    I suspect it will be closer to 1 hour.
    To paraphrase the Great Groucho,

"How you nailed that, I'll never know."

In summary I've installed the XPS 8500 i7 machine, and "all other things being equal", except for:

1. I'm now using Vegas Pro 12 x64 (was using Vegas Pro 11 x32)

2. I added Unsharp Mask and Saturation Control filters to the original project with Vegas Pro 11 x32. The Unsharp Mask in particular really adds a lot to the processing time but produces spectacular results with animation.

3. In the original Vegas Pro 11 x32 project on the old machine, the addition of those filters increased the rendering time for a 30 min HD clip to 35 hours.

The rendering time for "the same project" on the x64 machine is 65 minutes. I fertilize you not, that's as long as it took.

I'm still a little gun-shy on these results because it's a new system, which is why I keep covering my Event Horizon with quotations like "all other things being equal" and "the same project".

On the other hand, I really haven't changed that much except for booting the new PC, installing the Sony software, and copying my projects from the old machine via wired LAN. The only snag was having to register DVDA 5.2 64x to get Dolby Digitial AC-3 Pro to show up in Vegas 12's audio rendering presets. However, registering DVDA was the only step - I didn't have to re-install it or anything.

Not bad, considering it was the biggest hurdle.

I still have a ways to go in terms of loading the other clips into the project, re-rendering them, setting up the BD in DVDA, etc. However I'm off to a running start.

Thus far the only real thumbnail in this whole process has been the question of differences between DVDA 6.0 x32 (old machine) and DVDA 5.2 x64 (new machine). I don't yet know why I didn't get an x64 version of DVDA 6.0 with Vegas Pro 12 x64. I haven't looked very hard, either.

Anyway, that's where it stands.
    Quote Quote  
  18. BOMOON: I am glad you are having good results with your i7 computer. The time your are saving with this new machine is going to be a real bonus and I have a feeling you are going to be thinking "why didn't I make the leap sooner and get the i7". It is hard to even comprehend what the next big leap in computer processing power is going to be, just imagine thinking in 5 years "this new computer makes my old i7 look like a dinosaur". I have been watching little snipits of CBC News where they have reporter David Common at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. That is probably an enjoyable assignment, getting to check out the latest gizmos that are coming out. They showed a television last night that is suitable for any type of weather, it can be litterly be hit with pounding rain and it is still playing fine, they even said it was bear proof. That's great, my 50 TV is just fine while the bear has me for a snack. Sorry I got off track. It is amazing the technology that is coming down the pike. Perhaps there is something just terrific around the corner, for designing and encoding Blu Ray content.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BOMOON: I am glad you are having good results with your i7 computer.
    "why didn't I make the leap sooner and get the i7"?
    just imagine thinking in 5 years "this new computer makes my old i7 look like a dinosaur".
    Perhaps there is something just terrific around the corner, for designing and encoding Blu Ray content.
    Hey Tom,

Thanks! I'm already flabbergasted by how much time I've saved just fiddling with renders using different combinations of Fx filters.

As far as "the leap" question goes, that's easy enough to answer: I just didn't have the bucks! Even now the system I have is pretty basic: not a lot of memory as these things go (8GB so far), a cheapo graphics card, the Colossus for capturing, minimal software beyond Vegas Pro 12 and DVDA 5.2 x64. Fortunately I was already on the Sony Vegas bandwagon for upgrades so it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to go to 64 bit.

I'm starting to wonder if "designing and encoding Blu Ray content" will even be relevant in 10 years' time. I've been fooling around with resurrecting old Science Fiction movies and TV series since VHS, DVD, DVD Dual Layer, and now Blu-Ray. From VHS to DVD was a lot longer than DVD to Blu-Ray. I've actually seen the exponential growth.

My take on all of this, since I have limited gray matter and thus nothing to lose, is that Blu-Ray will be completely replaced by a different storage technology in less than 10 years. My uninformed guess is that it will involve an extension of laser technology from the current 2D "layer" storage to 3D holographic storage.

The breakthrough may involve changing the method of encoding these discs from burning binary patterns with one recording laser, to burning interference patterns with a recording laser and a reference laser. If the guys with brains can pull that off, they won't even need to bother with "Blue" laser wavelengths to cram a lot of info on a DVD-sized disc.

I digress, as usual. Thanks again for the support I've been getting in this forum. I suspect that now I'll be returning to the old issues of how best to handle the capture files produced by the Hauppauge Colossus, or maybe to even consider alternative capturing hardware as money permits!

Have a good one,
    Alan Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    somebody try use a/v bracket plugged to colossus?

i plugged one to colossus but it not work and i dont see any option in setup/wintv

Name:  av_cable_big.gif
Views: 1771
Size:  14.3 KB
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post

i plugged one to colossus but it not work and i dont see any option in setup/wintv
    Probably nobody has tried this. Why do you want to do this? The card supports analog audio and composite video capture already. It does not support S-video captures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Probably nobody has tried this. Why do you want to do this? The card supports analog audio and composite video capture already. It does not support S-video captures.
    Yes it dose in fact it should have come with this

If not you have early box rev that didn't come with it you can buy it right here
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/webstore2/webstore_avcable-svideo.asp
    That a/v bracket should work just make sure the jumper are set 150/500 and not the 250/350 or have older model a/v bracket with no jumper then you can just forget it becuuase it was only made for older PVR 250/350 Cards sorry
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    it has jumper thing, and jumpers are in 2-3 and 4-5 but not working......i just want avoid plug unplug external cables. for switch between composite-component

usually when you use hvr 1600-2250 you can see option via wintv for use them, tuner setup / external inputs
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    SHS - maybe it used to come with that bracket, but the one I bought in 2012 has a different type of a/v bracket. The ones I have contain 5 connections - 2 for audio and 3 for component video. That's it. No black S-video input at all like yours. I don't care. What I have meets my needs.
    Last edited by jman98; 18th Jan 2013 at 15:27. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope they never did come with the a/v bracket as for I know of and as I said some Colossus did come with A/V Cable set with S-Video, Composite video and stereo audio use lee you just get a pair of Component A/V Cable set
    godai try check Arcsoft software that come with Colossus, see if list the A/V cable is listed as 'Aux'?.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    thanks shs yes its working there ! ''aux composite''

you are master

also i see aux svideo and aux component (that kind of av bracket exits?)

i just wondering why wintv cant offer that option
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No idea godai but I see what I can find out about
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Yes it dose in fact it should have come with this

(photo snip)
    In my case I didn't get that A/V bracket, but I did get the Composite/S-Video harness that you show in the photo, along with two Component Video/Analog Audio harnesses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    hi i just check avermedia website, they release a new firmware for Game Capture HD (its equal of hd pvr of hauppaugge?) can let you pause and keep record like function of vhs

New firmware, new features
    The new firmware update for the Game Capture HD makes it the only standalone game recorder solution that allows you to play your games at full frame rate. With both Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation 3 featuring native support for 1080p60 output via their respective component video outputs, you now get the full gaming experience while still being able to record your adventures, races, goals and every other imaginable in-game experience, so you can share it with your friends.
    On top of this, the new firmware also brings along the ability to pause and then resume the recording, handy if you want to take a break from your game for a few minutes. What this means is that you now have the ability to continue to record to the same file, saving you time when it comes to editing your videos.

amazing, thing for me its like you skip comercials, why tv cards,capture cards cant make it?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi i just check avermedia website, they release a new firmware for Game Capture HD (its equal of hd pvr of hauppaugge?) can let you pause and keep record like function of vhs

New firmware, new features
    The new firmware update for the Game Capture HD makes it the only standalone game recorder solution that allows you to play your games at full frame rate. With both Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation 3 featuring native support for 1080p60 output via their respective component video outputs, you now get the full gaming experience while still being able to record your adventures, races, goals and every other imaginable in-game experience, so you can share it with your friends.
    On top of this, the new firmware also brings along the ability to pause and then resume the recording, handy if you want to take a break from your game for a few minutes. What this means is that you now have the ability to continue to record to the same file, saving you time when it comes to editing your videos.

amazing, thing for me its like you skip comercials, why tv cards,capture cards cant make it?

Support for 1080p resolution (60 fps pass-thru and 30fps recording)
    Its not amazing. For me Play 60, record 60. This only way.

Claudio
    Quote Quote