VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I always thought, "If I have a folder structure VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, with my VOBs in the VIDEO_TS folder. All I have to do is burn these two folders to the root of the DVD and I've got a playable DVD disc".

I did this and, yes, it worked fine in my computer saying "this is a DVD video, I will play this."
    But, when I tried it in my standalone video player in my house, it did not play, "disc not recognised".

I had to use ImgBurn tool to transfer these folders to a blank DVD, and then for some reason it worked everywhere.

Why wouldn't it recognise my original DVD in a standalone player , but recognised it fine as a DVD on my computer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's because you probably burned it as data the first time. ImgBurn recognized the files and implemented the correct file system (ISO-UDF bridge, IIRC) so the standalone would recognize DVD-Video.

ImgBurn will also implement the correct file system (UDF 2.50) even when one tries to burn Blu-Ray files incorrectly, in fact it will scold you for it. Which is one more reason why ImgBurn is *THE* recommended burning program here: it's smarter than most users.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just "burning the fiolder to a blank DVD" doesn't make it a DVD. Assuming the contents are correct and compliant, you also need to burn the disc using the correct file system. Imgburn has a lot of smarts built into it by the author to determine what the content is, and to set the burn parameters accordingly, no matter how little the user knows. Most other tools expect the user to either select the right type of burn - "I am burning a DVD" - or set the parameters manually. Most computer playback software doesn't care so much about the filesystem (most can read several different types), so long as the computer can read it. If, after that, it looks like a DVD and smells like a DVD, the software will play it. A standalone player must have exactly the right filesystem to be able to see the content.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks all, - thats helpful.

what put me off about ImgBurn is their website. There's loads of "stuff" you can download by mistake, things like PC Checkers , Driver update software that you could mistakenly download instead of ImgBurn installer itself.

Anyway, all that to say I was worried that it might contain spyware or similar if its offering all these addons etc...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Imgburn only needs to load the folder that contains the video_ts folder (and the ifo s etc.)

Imgburn is by far my burner of choice - from the days when it only burned image files (thanks LightningUK!)

I have Nero on this PC, rarely use it - too bloated.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there another free ware product that does what imgburn does? I just bought some verbatim disks and got the "Unable to find any cells for layer break Do you want to continue?" What does this mean? Is there settings for this ? Where do I set them ? Is there something that can do what this does (make a playable disk) like image burn does?? John
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's not a problem with ImgBurn, it's a problem with your authored DVD structure. The way you have encoded + authored doesn't allow for a layer-break mark to be set at an appropriate cell border.

Either re-author with a decent authoring system that allows you to set the layer break point, or encode with a better GOP structure so that ImgBurn can decide it for you, or BOTH.

@OP, you don't even need to go to the ImgBurn website to get the file (if you don't like their site), just DL from Videohelp's Tools page!

The DVD-Video spec is rigorous about a number of items, including Filesystem (micro-UDF v1.02 + ISO9660 bridge), folder structure (VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS in root, specific files in those folders), sector layout (IFOs first, VOBs next, BUPs last, padded to 2048byte sizes), as well as a few more things. Standard "Data disc" burning apps don't understand all that needs to be done to make it fully playable in settops. ImgBurn DOES. A few other burning engines that are adjuncts to authoring apps also know what to do, but often ImgBurn does a better job even than them.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I author with video_TS structure? Im kinda new with this! What piece of of software would.you recommend, Scott?
    Thank you john.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So you dug up a 2+ year old thread and then started another one about the exact same thing
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hello everyone! I've been using Imgburn for over a year and I agree it's the best burner I know. I'm not sure it's smarter than most users but it certainly is smarter than me. However I got a little problem here. When I drop my VIDEO_TS folder on the window ?burn folder / files to disc' I got the following message.

What can this be? I checked the VIDEO_TS folder with DVDShrink and it says it's OK.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sin título.gif
Views:	22312
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	26550  

Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Probably it means the file VIDEO_TS.BUP is missing

Just create a copy of VIDEO_TS.IFO and rename it to *.BUP.

But if ImgBurn still complains, then the problem is elsewhere, and the error message is misleading
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you have the BUP file(s) missing from the video_ts folder.
    Why don't you post a screen shot showing the contents ? Make sure file extensions are showing.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Here it goes, as you can see it's a Mastroianni Loren movie, I betrayed myself as a romantic

Name:	Sin título2.gif
Views:	1403
Size:	563.6 KB
ID:	26551  

Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    ^ Probably it means the file VIDEO_TS.BUP is missing

Just create a copy of VIDEO_TS.IFO and rename it to *.BUP.

But if ImgBurn still complains, then the problem is elsewhere, and the error message is misleading
    Thanks Heggunt, I did as you told me and now Imgburn goes as usual. Do have to keep both files? The original VIDEO_TS.IFO and the newly created/renamed VIDEO_TS.BUP?
    Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Cristina Borello View Post
    Do have to keep both files? The original VIDEO_TS.IFO and the newly created/renamed VIDEO_TS.BUP?
    Yes, it's not a DVD without a BUP to go with each IFO. BUP just means BackUP.
    Last edited by manono; 24th Jul 2014 at 20:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IFO and their backups are tiny files anyway. A few 10s of kB. The VOBs are up to 1 GB each.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hello, guys here I am with another question for you experts. When I drop this VIDEO_TS folder to DVDShrink just to check if everything's allright I get this message:

Of course the VIDEO_TS folder needs no compression as it a dvd5 but probably there will be problems if I burn it. Thanks. You're great.

Name:	DVDShrink.gif
Views:	905
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	28451  

Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
    Why wouldn't it recognise my original DVD in a standalone player , but recognised it fine as a DVD on my computer?
    The Mother always recognize her own kids.

VIDEO_TS have all the info in.
    AUDIO_TS folder is empty, you can delete it if you like.

P.S.
    This Threat resurrect from the death --> 7th Dec 2010 14:37

Q1:
    This Web-site don't close any threats !?

My Bad !?
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 9th Nov 2014 at 15:41.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Sorry to bother gus but has anyone read my question? Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  20. @ Cristina Borello

- If you run to file through ImgBurn, This program will tell you if it is something wrong with the file, before you burn it.

- Shrink don't support all kind of files. Some of them not even can be ID as file(s).
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 10th Nov 2014 at 15:28.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thank you DJ-ValBec, I noticed Imgburn didn't make any fuss as you say and then I burnt it. Just watched the movie everything's ok. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  22. Yw. & happy burning 2014.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hello! I've got a problem with a bootleg Beatles dvd (or beatlef as they are called). When the dl finished as usual I dragged the folder to dvdshrink to se if it's OK before burning (no compression because it's a dvd 5) and got the following error.

Next, I tried it on vlcmedia and as it didn't make any problem, I decided to burn it. When playing on standalone dvd players I get frozen and broken frames. What can it be? The guy who uploaded accidentally deleted the missing VTS_02_05.VOB?
    This is the folder

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beatles.gif
Views:	646
Size:	567.1 KB
ID:	30495

Sorry the images got swapped. Thanks

Name:	Beatleserr.gif
Views:	14228
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	30494  

Quote Quote  
  24. Ah, sorry I forgot to say that I burnt with imgburn which did not give me any warning. So, I really don't know. imgburn never caused me trouble so I think the problem must be somewhere else. hanks again.
    Last edited by Cristina Borello; 1st Mar 2015 at 14:58.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When does it start freezee? You can't just expect it to work with missing vob files. I would try reauthor or reconvert the dvd. With for example avstodvd.

Or just try burn another media. Freeze problems could be because of a crappy dvdr.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks, Baldrick. It freezes at several points, but I would rhater say it jumps: broken frames and a moment later playback resumes a couple of seconds on from where it stopped. I'm using Sony dvd's made in Taiwan. I've been using them for a about 100 burns and normally they didn't cause trouble, the same goes for the burner. But you are right: I read the thread where it was posted and several users had problems with it. Apparently the uploader did a good job ripping the dvd because many of the pp who dloaded and burnt it had no problems. However, some of the pp whose first burn was bad went ahead and tried with a different dvd brand and some of the new copies were good and some were bad once more. I'm going to burn it in a diff dvd brand as soon as I can and will report back. I can't do it right now because Sony is all I have and Sundays everything is closed here in my hometown.

I can't understnad why dvdshrink says there's a vob missing, I don't think the uploader deleted a vob before torrenting but who knows what he used to rip the dvd. When I play the dvd folder from hard drive on vlc it has very similar problems as well for example: I select a song from the menu and it plays it a minute and suddenly goes back to the root menu.
    Quote Quote