VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When i demux m2v from DVD and look at its properties (MediaInfo), it has no information about scan type. When I mux it into mkv, mkv properties show that it is progressive, double fps (59.940) and scan type is 3:2 pulldown. So, on playback, Media Player Classic doesn't turn deinterlacer on because it thinks video is progressive. But it is not. I can see combing and i have to turn deinterlacer on manually.

Question is: Why mkv interpret video as progressive and can it be fixed?
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's a lot that's screwy about your post or your video, or something.

I have no idea why MediaInfo doesn't list the Scan Type. Have you tried other apps to see if they give the info - GSpot, Bitrate Viewer, ReStream, DGIndex, etc.? And what does MediaInfo say about the original DVD VOBs before demuxing? And what did you use for the demuxing? Something reputable and reliable, I hope?

If muxed into an MKV the framerate shouldn't all of a sudden double to 59.94fps. And 3:2 Pulldown isn't a Scan Type, and certainly not for 59.94fps video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I apologize for delayed answer.

I made a mistake in my previous post by saying that scan type is 3:2 pulldown for my mkv file. Scan ORDER not type.

1. I can't analyze DVD VOBs because i don't have them anymore but I am sure they were fine. I have only demuxed PGCs from them. I used PGCDemux for demuxing and everything went fine.

2. Below are pictures from MediaInfo and Gspot for M2V (demuxed from DVD) video stream:

3. Below are pictures from MediaInfo and Gspot for resulting MKV file (muxed from M2V and other streams):

The Question is still open: Why MediaInfo says that mkv file is progressive if it is not?
    Last edited by Gothic Autumn; 11th Dec 2010 at 17:29.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It is progressive. It was encoded as progressive 23.976fps with 3:2 pulldown applied. GSpot shows that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. GSpot says I/L (interlaced).
    And I see combing, so it looks interlaced to me :/
    Last edited by Gothic Autumn; 11th Dec 2010 at 18:03.
    Quote Quote  
  6. GSpot shows 23.976 pics/sec and 3:2 pulldown. All NTSC DVDs output interlaced 29.97fps. However, flagreading software players (almost all of them) use the flagging to play only the progressive frames. Does the M2V also play as interlaced? It shouldn't.

And why does this thing have to be put into the MKV container anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I see combing in MPC and VLC on both m2v and mkv (with deinterlacer off). It looks interlaced to me.

Why in mkv container? Because m2v has no sound. I want to mux it together with sound and subs.

Is it possible to remove that pulldown thing without degrading video quality?
    Last edited by Gothic Autumn; 11th Dec 2010 at 18:16.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The frames are encoded progressive at 23.976 fps. The MPEG stream includes 3:2 pulldown flags that tell the player how to produce 59.94 fields per second analog output or 29.97 fps interlaced frames. You see comb artifacts because the player/editor is applying the pulldown to create 29.97 fps interlaced frames from the 23.976 fps progressive frames. For example VirtualDub (the MPEG 2 plugin, actually) will perform the pulldown when editing MPEG 2 files with pulldown flags.

It's also possible that the video was prepared incorrectly and actually contains interlaced frames at 23.976 fps.

Upload a short sample with significant motion.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Dec 2010 at 19:12.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Gothic Autumn View Post
    Why in mkv container? Because m2v has no sound. I want to mux it together with sound and subs.
    Sounds to me like you just should have kept the DVD. You can still reauthor it using Muxman.
    Yes, run it through DGPulldown with 'Custom' ticked and 23.976 set for both in and out.

Unless, as jagabo speculates, there's something dreadfully wrong with the M2V. The DVD from which you demuxed it, was it a real retail DVD? And as he also suggests, a sample would be nice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Sounds to me like you just should have kept the DVD. You can still reauthor it using Muxman.
    I have never used DVDs and never will. I hate optical discs in general (many problems with them and their era is gone) and DVD structure and all those menus things as well. I just want simple files with videos i need. I don't even want to deinterlace them as long as player can do that on playback (yes, i know that those integrated deinterlacers are not so good but i don't want to ruin original by deinterlacing it lossy and unprofessionally). DVDs has many disadvantages, for example, how can I play many music videos from many different DVDs randomly in my playlist. I know, one solution is to make DVD rips but i want to retain original quality. And I think mkv is better container than vob. I don'know better, if you know, suggest me.
    Yes, run it through DGPulldown with 'Custom' ticked and 23.976 set for both in and out.
    DGPulldown didn't help. After processing m2v, MediaInfo showed that it is progressive but GSpot that interlaced. On playback it was progressive BUT with all artifacts. I am tired of trying to make decent videos.
    Unless, as jagabo speculates, there's something dreadfully wrong with the M2V. The DVD from which you demuxed it, was it a real retail DVD? And as he also suggests, a sample would be nice.
    I don't have that DVD physically but i am pretty sure it was real retail DVD (you can search on demonoid.me for "Fastlane [6 DL-DVDs]")

Sample: http://www.mediafire.com/?b67jq1w1fw2tbyp
    Quote Quote  
  11. That file is a mix of progressive with 3:2 pulldown flags and interlaced hard pulldown. If you want to reencode with all progressive frames you should use DgIndex to build an index (*.d2v) with Honor Pulldown Flags then IVTC with something like this AviSynth script:

Mpeg2Source("filename.d2v")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Dec 2010 at 07:11.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Omg, why would anyone do that? But no, thanks, I will not reencode as long as MPC with ffdshow can hande it (DScaler deinterlaces it all and in poor quality).

p.s. I think, i understood. Video is progressive in still scenes and interlaced in scenes with fast movement (to get more fluid motion). I didn't even know that progressive and interlaced scan types can be mixed in one file.
    Last edited by Gothic Autumn; 12th Dec 2010 at 19:46.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Gothic Autumn View Post
    p.s. I think, i understood. Video is progressive in still scenes and interlaced in scenes with fast movement (to get more fluid motion).
    Both the progressive with pulldown flags, and hard pulldown sections have motion. And the end result on TV would show the exact same 2:3 pulldown judder (in the former case the DVD player would do the pulldown, in the latter the pulldown was done before compressing) in both sections, and the underlying frame rate is the same 23.976 in both of them.

The difference is this: What shows up on an interlaced TV screen is always 59.94 fields per second. When you encode progressive with pulldown flags, you have 23.976 fps stored in the file along with instructions that tell the player how to produce that 59.94 fields per second from those frames. With hard pulldown the 23.976 fps film frames go through pulldown first, then pairs of fields are woven into frames for encoding. So they are encoded as 29.97 fps interlaced. The DVD player knows that 29.97i frames should be peeled apart into 2 fields to produce the final 59.94 fields per second that is sent to the TV.

Originally Posted by Gothic Autumn View Post
    I didn't even know that progressive and interlaced scan types can be mixed in one file.
    It's not too unusual. I usually see things like this between the studio logo, the distributor logo, and the body of the movie. But it can happen anywhere.
    Quote Quote