VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

As far as I know, the Oppo plays everything from DVD-R or BD-R, not just from USB. However, the Oppo BDP-83 is not within my budget, and, IMO, the BDP-80 is not good value for money.
    Besides, I want Netflix streaming.

I briefly looked at Sony S570. It is said to play both MKV and MP4, but that's from USB only. From disc, it only plays M2TS (apart from the usual standard DVD and BD discs).

Does anybody know of a Blu-Ray player that does not require me to copy data to an USB drive, or burn M2TS discs? I find it convenient to keep my MKV movies on DVD-R discs, and I would rather not use streaming.

Best regards,
    Cosmin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    Check out various Samsung models. My BDP1600 plays MKV's and MP4's from disk in every region but mine. It is a marketing gimmick as to which models have the firmware upgraded for it. According to the support site, their USB ports are 1.1 and not fast enough to support USB streaming so that is why it only plays the files from disk.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, festmaster.

Originally Posted by festmaster View Post
    It is a marketing gimmick as to which models have the firmware upgraded for it. According to the support site, their USB ports are 1.1 and not fast enough to support USB streaming so that is why it only plays the files from disk.
    Hmm, not good, and thank you for warning me. I actually want both USB and disc support.

I'll check out Samsung C6500 and C6900.

Best regards
    Cosmin
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just want to point out a couple of things. First of all, cosmin, you should be aware that typically even the best BluRay or DVD player's media support will not be as good as that of a dedicated media player such as the Western Digital HDTV models or something similar. Whether your various files will be fine or not is up in the air and depends on what options were used when creating them. Secondly, it is unclear whether you care about this or not, but you should be aware that Sony and Samsung models sold in North America are region locked for DVD and BluRay playback and cannot be unlocked.

You're entitled to your opinion about Oppo, but I find it debatable that it's "not good value for the money" considering that you get SACD and DVD-Audio support in addition to the top notch components used and multiple format support it has. If you don't want to spend the money, that's fine, but you get what you pay for.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cosmin View Post

I briefly looked at Sony S570. It is said to play both MKV and MP4, but that's from USB only. From disc, it only plays M2TS (apart from the usual standard DVD and BD discs).
    Where did you hear that about the S570? I think you got false information.

I have the S370 and it plays mkv and mp4 from both burned dvd and blu-ray discs (as well as all the other file formats including wmv, wma, mp3, vob). The playback quality of mkv and mp4 is great. You can use disc, USB, or network.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    Originally Posted by cosmin View Post

Where did you hear that about the S570? I think you got false information.
    I got it from some random review site, and I hope that was false information indeed, because what you're telling me (that S370 plays mp4 and mkv from burned DVD and Blu-Ray discs, not just USB) sounds like good news.

Best regards
    Cosmin
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    First of all, cosmin, you should be aware that typically even the best BluRay or DVD player's media support will not be as good as that of a dedicated media player such as the Western Digital HDTV models or something similar.
    I'm aware of that. To me, the WDTV has been (and still is!) one of the most capable and versatile players on Earth.

Playing a basic range of MP4 and MKV (just AVC video + AAC audio) is, in fact, good enough. I have a lot of home videos in the format 1280x720@24p (or @30p), which I convert to either of these formats using HandBrake or AviDemux, and I don't even mind remuxing existing streams with AviDemux, if necessary. But I do wish not to be required to reencode.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion about Oppo, but I find it debatable that it's "not good value for the money" considering that you get SACD and DVD-Audio support in addition to the top notch components used and multiple format support it has. If you don't want to spend the money, that's fine, but you get what you pay for.
    Well, that's why I used that "IMO"

Sure, I'd jump all over the ABT-powered BDP-83, if I had the money to burn. But the BDP-80, which is more within my budget, only has a garden-variety image processor: still good, but not much different than the likes of Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG, etc. Am I wrong?

I don't deny the value of the BDP-80. I just appreciate network capabilities (which BDP-80 doesn't have) more than the ability to play the anything-but-extinct (unfortunately) SACD and DVDA. I cannot even find such discs in the local store anymore. Besides, I am unable to even hear the difference between the AC3 and DTS soundtrack, I can only tell that DTS sounds a little louder, and that's it. Could it be my equipment, or my ears, or both? (My equipment: entry-level Harman-Kardon amplifier, with bookshelf-sized Klipsch loudspeakers.)
    I'll still wait for Blu-Ray Profile 3.0, while listening+watching my collection of music DVD's, perhaps to be enhanced with music Blu-Ray's.

(The Sony S570 does play SACD, BTW.)

Best regards,
    Last edited by cosmin; 7th Dec 2010 at 23:55.
    Cosmin
    Quote Quote