VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't see a recent thread on this, so here goes.

I have been testing trial versions of Blu-Ray ripping software. Hoping to find a good one before buying. I hate having to go through the refund process after I find out what I purchased is crap.

At least 10 of them don't work as trial versions. Either they just don't open the BD, or they ask for another program to be installed. Most of them look like they're the same program with a different skin:
    Pavtube
    DVDfab
    Odin
    Best
    Leawo
    Moyea
    Lekusoft
    iovsoft
    aimersoft
    aunsoft

And 2 did OK, but still had some issues:
    Shinesoft (a lot of "failed" attempts)
    Aiseesoft (main problem is it won't start ripping on Doctor Who series 5 BD, won't even preview it. BBC DVD's have been known to have issues copying too)

I've been using Magic DVD ripper & copier for about 3 years and have always been happy with the results, but they don't seem to have gotten to BD ripping.

Also, I'd like to be able to do the higher quality output available from Blu-Ray.

What are the best apps anybody here has used? Any of them have the option to increase the volume of the output file?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVDHd. Only ripping. Convert/Shrink with free software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Agreed, AnyDVDHD is tops, but DVDFabPasskey is pretty good too and cheaper.

DVDFab is okay if you like all the extras it offers. Some do, not me. The only free Blu-Ray ripper any more is DVDFabHDDecrypter (free version of DVDFab), but updates lag behind the pay version. What that means is it might not rip a disc with newer protection until some weeks have passed. DumpHD is free but very cumbersome, doubtful, and not updated any more, to my knowledge. There you have it, that's all, if you pay for anything else, you're gonna get ripped off.

And welcome to the forum, Ar-Pharazon "The Golden".
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I may be doing something wrong. I installed Any DVDHD and all it did was open the BD in PowerDVD and allow me to avoid the "prohibited" nonsense.

Then I added CloneDVD from SlySoft and that didn't want to rip the BD any more than any other app.

I then tried Ainsoft, which wanted Passkey as well, and it ripped with no video (audio only).

This is still with the troublesome BBC BD for Doctor Who S5 as an example.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Ar-Pharazon View Post
    I may be doing something wrong.

AnyDVDHD and DVDFabPasskey are driver-level decrypters. That means You can do a simple copy/paste of the decrypted files to your hard drive. AnyDVDHD can also do it for you with one-click to files or image, but the difference isn't significant. Which means you can perform conversions directly from disc, but that's not a very good idea.

DVDFab and it's freeware counterpart are not driver-level, so you must output to hard drive. I wouldn't let Fab do any conversions, not that it does it badly, but other freeware alternatives (available in the Tools section) do it better. There's BDRB, RipBot, HandBrake, HDConvertToX, and others for various conversions.

BTW, CloneDVD is not a decrypter.

There's one other option I forgot to mention: MakeMKV. If what you want is a decrypter that rips/converts to an MKV file, and you don't care about file size, then that's your baby. It doesn't re-encode.

Again, forget that other crap, and they *are* crap. One way or another, copy (rip) the files/folders to your hard drive (preferably a drive separate from your OS drive). Once you have that, you're in business and can do whatever you like. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Pavtube - CRAP
    Odin - CRAP
    Best - CRAP
    Leawo - CRAP
    Moyea - CRAP
    Lekusoft - CRAP
    iovsoft - CRAP
    aimersoft - CRAP
    aunsoft - CRAP

There you go...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Pavtube - CRAP
    Odin - CRAP
    Best - CRAP
    Leawo - CRAP
    Moyea - CRAP
    Lekusoft - CRAP
    iovsoft - CRAP
    aimersoft - CRAP
    aunsoft - CRAP

There you go...
    That's funny. I have the same list (plus a few) on a piece of paper, only I didn't use the word "crap".

Though most of them have the type of GUI (?) that I'm used to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Those are the same type of companies that sell software that says it copies game discs...and even I know that Wii game discs in a regular DVD drive don't work. Take the money and run is their strategy.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    OK, I have DVDFabPasskey re-installed and, upon opening, it opens the current BD in PowerDVD.

Then I copied 1 file over to my 3rd HDD and opened that in PowerDirector, but it played with no sound. Is that a limitation of the trial version of DVDFabPasskey?

Would I not have been able to do that simple copy & paste without the app running?

What app would I now use to convert? I'm still hoping for something that will give me a ton of options re: the output file, and am still hoping for something that will allow me to alter the volume level.

Would PowerDirector work for the conversion? It recognizes the .m2ts file type at least, but seems to want to take forever to open the file (which is 10GB)
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, it's a limitation of powerdirector. It probably does not support the audio.

Use ripbot264 or bdrebuilder if you want to convert to mkv or mp4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD...stop fooling around with websh*t
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Does AnyDVD work the same way, in the background? And it allows me to copy the files the same way?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Right click on anydvd icon and rip to hard drive.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	01.png
Views:	56832
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	4568Click image for larger version

Name:	02.png
Views:	56787
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	4569
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Nope, it's a limitation of powerdirector. It probably does not support the audio.

Use ripbot264 or bdrebuilder if you want to convert to mkv or mp4.
    Sorry, I meant it also opened the file in PowerDVD, but with no sound.

PowerDirector doesn't open the file, it just sits there.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    AnyDVDHD copied the entire BD over fine.

Then I tried to convert ONE M2TS file (10GB) with ripbot264 (and the 4 other apps it needs), I let it go for 3 hours, where it was 25% done and claiming another 6 hours to finish.

Is it that slow for you guys?

Plus, I didn't like that it only gave a couple options for file format of the output.

Is bdrebuilder better/more flexible?

Why are blu-rays so much of a pain to rip compared to DVD's?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Ar-Pharazon View Post
    Then I tried to convert ONE M2TS file (10GB) with ripbot264 (and the 4 other apps it needs), I let it go for 3 hours, where it was 25% done and claiming another 6 hours to finish.

Is it that slow for you guys?
    Depends on your system. A Quad core system should only take a couple of hours. If it's a dual core or single core, yes it will take forever!

Originally Posted by Ar-Pharazon
    Is bdrebuilder better/more flexible?
    That is what I use.

Originally Posted by Ar-Pharazon
    Why are blu-rays so much of a pain to rip compared to DVD's?
    Because they are much more complex than dvds and around 6x larger!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I have a quad-core 2.8GHz w/8GB of RAM (if that makes a difference).

I'll give bdrebuilder a try in the next couple days.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  18. the toptenreview site has made a compare and review the top ten blu ray rippers in the year, this may give you a reference
    link: http://blu-ray-to-dvd-converter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    Last edited by alexye2008; 27th Dec 2010 at 19:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alexye2008 View Post
    the toptenreview site has made a compare and review the top ten blu ray rippers in the year, this may give you a reference
    sheer and utter stupidity...
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    the toptenreview site has made a compare and review the top ten blu ray rippers in the year, this may give you a reference
    There's like two in there I haven't tried as a trial, and I may look at them for the heck of it.

I have no problem paying for even the $72 one, if I could get some results out of the trial version.

But like I said further up, 10 out of 12 I tried looked the same, acted the same, might as well have been the same.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Exactly. The only ones worth considering are here in the tools section:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/decrypters-bd-hd-dvd
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Resurrecting this one.

I bought AnyDVD HD and used the Rip Video DVD to Harddisk. It copied all the .m2ts files over individually.

Unfortunately, it copied them with the audio commentary. How do I prevent this?

And again, which app do I use to assemble all those files into one .avi file?

Edit: I may have hit on the commentary problem. In DVDFab when I allowed it to use the first "AC-3/2" audio option, it still had the commentary in the output file. But when I used "DTS-HD" audio, the commentary was gone.

Maybe I'll try the second "AC-3/2" option and see what happens there.

Another question on DVDFab, why does it not save anything when I choose 2 pass conversion?
    Last edited by Ar-Pharazon; 20th Feb 2011 at 19:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anydvd rips the entire disk to your HD with ALL audio tracks. AC3/2 is a two channel track,on a BlueRay disk it is almost certain to be a commentary track. The first audio track will be the primary audio track,usually HD audio. There maybe AC3 audio tracks but they won't be 2 channel.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Yep, I found the "other" AC-3/2 option left a different commentary track in. It's OK as long as I can use the DTS-HD. Ripping it in stereo seems to give the best sound overall even though I have 5.1 on the home machine.

Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by Ar-Pharazon; 21st Feb 2011 at 14:17.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Using AnyDVD HD (6.7.8.0) & DVDFab 8 (8.0.7.3)

I used AnyDVD HD to "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" from the BD for Despicable Me. Seemed to go OK.

Then I used DVDFab 8 to "rip" from that folder since it would not read & open the BD itself.

I did the 2 versions, one with 5.1 audio and one with stereo. Both were top level of video quality (1920x1040).

Now the issue is, they both glitch out in WMP12 at exactly the same point, which would lead me to believe the issue is with AnyDVD.

I can skip past the problem moment, only when I allow it to run normally to that point does it error out.

This is the message BTW:

I'm testing it by re-ripping it with AnyDVD but am trying the "Rip to image" option instead, mainly to see if it works.

I posted this at SlySoft forum, but they seem to have a hate-on for DVDFab, which like I said, I don't think is the problem here.

Any of you guys have an issue like this?
    Quote Quote  
  26. It's possible the DTS-HD audio is the cause. The libdts decoder in ffdshow, for instance, does not decode all the information in a DTS-HD stream. I can't say whether the decoders used by DVDFab or WMP12 might not be decoding less than the full information either. Most times it's no problem. Occasionally I'll come across a problematic disc that requires converting the audio with EAC3to, and sure enough it notifies me of sync discontinuity, sync byte missing, clipping, or other problem. (It also invariably informs me that libdts does not decode the full information in the DTS-HD or DTS-MA stream). Now whether the errors signify a decoder problem or a disc problem (most times it's round about where you'd expect the layer break to be on a BD50), I dunno.

Clown_BD is a nice front-end for eac3to, you can extract movie-only and convert the audio at the same time and audio errors will be corrected.

And if that's not it, I should think DVDFab is the culprit rather than a bad rip with AnyDVDHD.

[EDIT] Have you tried another player? Tried BDRB to re-encode instead?
    Last edited by fritzi93; 21st Feb 2011 at 18:49.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stop dicking around. Rip to HD with AnyDVDHD, process with BDRebuilder. Pick what you want to keep and choose your size (BD50, BD25, BD9, BD5). I like Movie only, keep the DTS HD sound, burn to BD25 or BD9 (regular DL disc). Works every time, no probs. Looks great on my 60" screen. Takes approx. 40 min. to rip & 3-4 hrs. to process. See my profile for my system for time idea.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    ^ I have the original BD. I'm ripping to a PC format (.avi) so I can watch in on a computer and also do screencaps & get edited snippets of video whenever I want.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate that this is an old thread... but I too am making the determination of "Best Blu-Ray Ripper" - what I've been able to determine so far is probably AnyDVDHD for decrypting - I'm good with that... and BD Rebuilder for processing...

However, I'd like to create MKV's - both non re-encoded - and also to a (lower) target bit-rate. Typically, I want audio left alone and slightly compress the video to try and achieve good quality at about half the size of the original blu-ray.

I'm curious what the best tool is to accomplish my "processing requirements"...

Just joined here - this site looks awesome...

Cheers!

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use MakeMKV if you want to create a non-reencoded MKV. It can also rip.

Use BDRebuilder or Ripbot264 if you want to shrink to a smaller mkv.
    Quote Quote