VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. BD/DVD Interlace vs Progressive Scan: Which is better?

How come Progressive Scanned Original Paramount/Warner BD/DVDs looks much better, vivid colorful and vibrant while watching BD/DVDs on SONY KDL (LCD) FULL-HD as compared to Interlaced ones?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    BD/DVD Interlace vs Progressive Scan: Which is better?

How come Progressive Scanned Original Paramount/Warner BD/DVDs looks much better, vivid colorful and vibrant while watching BD/DVDs on SONY KDL (LCD) FULL-HD as compared to Interlaced ones?
    Which interlaced ones?

The commercial movie BD/DVD discs are mastered from the original progressive 24 fps film with heavy investment in bit rate management.

If you are comparing to TV captures from 1080i, there are many possible reasons. Most important is reduced bit rate through cable or sat source.

Please explain what you mean by interlaced ones.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. i recently purchased in my collections "Gone in 60 Seconds" BD in sale from authentic dealer, I have original DVD too. This movie I watched few times over cable and captured (interlaced) it as well with very high bit-rate but looks some what noisy or little dull, but there is a vast difference between two.

Plus there is a difference
    1) when BD played on SONY-LCD AND SONY-CRT.
    2) Between BD and DVD (both i guess has very high A/V bit-rate)

Thanks for response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i recently purchased in my collections "Gone in 60 Seconds" BD in sale from authentic dealer, I have original DVD too. This movie I watched few times over cable and captured (interlaced) it as well with very high bit-rate but looks some what noisy or little dull, but there is a vast difference between two.

Plus there is a difference
    1) when BD played on SONY-LCD AND SONY-CRT.
    2) Between BD and DVD (both i guess has very high A/V bit-rate)

Thanks for response.
    Did you capture 1080i HD or 480i SD? There are so many reasons a 480i capture off cable will be inferior to Blu-Ray.

1. Resolution - 1920x1080p vs 528x480i telecine

2. Bit rate - ~30 Mb/s vs. 4 Mb/s

3. Display - Blu-ray will be native displayed on the HDTV via HDMI. 480i needs inverse telecine + upscale in the TV.

4. Many other issues...

If you captured HD off the cable box IEEE-1394 port, you got more like 1920x1080i (telcined) at about VBR 14 Mb/s MPeg2-TS. In that case it would depend how you were playing the file to the TV. If done right it would look good but not as good as Blu-Ray.

TV 16:9 HD movie broadcasts may be upscaled SD DigiBeta (often done by TNT) or 1440x1080 HDCAM format. The TV networks have to pay top rates for a Blu-Ray quality file. Then most networks (e.g. HBO) resize to 16:9 rather than playing native letterbox.
    Last edited by edDV; 1st Dec 2010 at 19:58.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I hv got your point.
    not pretty sure about IEEE or HDMI cable. but, it was through Toshiba (Stand-alone TiVO) DVR with DVD-R/RW.
    I will check the manual for technical specifications (?????? zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hv got your point.
    not pretty sure about IEEE or HDMI cable. but, it was through Toshiba (Stand-alone TiVO) DVR with DVD-R/RW.
    I will check the manual for technical specifications (?????? zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)

Thanks.
    Well that would explain the difference.

If you consider the HD film corrected master a 10.

Blu-Ray would be a 7-8

Cable box IEEE-1394 digital recording would be a 6

Commercial DVD would be a 4 (downscaled from the HD master)

Digitally recorded 528x480i would be a 3

Analog recorded 528x480i would be a 2 at best.
    Quote Quote  
  7. yep...
    As it was through Toshiba DVR with DVD-R/RW, my expectation was too high as good as BD, but, as you said...
    "Digitally recorded 528x480i would be a 3
    Analog recorded 528x480i would be a 2 at best"

Feeling like a fooled to spend $$$ on DVR (more than a year ago,but served it's purpose to watch programs later) rather than getting BD for cheap.

Just out of curiosity....
    Original motion Pictures are shooted on 16/35mm film stock ---> telecine ---> Digital Video
    Does this telecine process introduce some noise or losses in Digital Video?
    16/35mm film stock are progressive or interlaced?

Thanks for all your inputs and feedback.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 1st Dec 2010 at 21:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The interesting human psychology of all this is we can be happy with an analog recorded 480i (e.g. divx/xvid) recording so long as we don't experience DVD or HD Blu-Ray with an appropriate display. Even then, a Blu-Ray is no match for the film transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Film is by its nature always progressive.
    It's the telecine process that converts it to interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just out of curiosity....
    Original motion Pictures are shooted on 16/35mm film stock ---> telecine ---> Digital Video
    Does this telecine process introduce some noise or losses in Digital Video?
    In the old days film was projected onto an interlace TV camera.

Modern film scanners progressively scan each film frame and color correction and editing are done progressive. The resulting 24p digital master is then converted into various distribution formats. DVD and Blu-Ray are usually encoded as progressive. The player can output the progressive disc in a variety of formats.

Telecine is process where extra fields are added to pad film rate to NTSC 29.97 fps for 480i or 1080i broadcast. The telecine process is reversed in progressive HDTV sets by removing the pad fields. If this is done properly, the 29.97 fps rate is reduced back to 23.976 film rate with no loss. A "60Hz" progressive TV will frame repeat the 23.976 fps frames in a 3x then 2x pattern to build the frame rate up to 59.94 fps for display. "120 Hz" HDTV sets repeat the 23.976 fps frames 5x to 119.88 fps for display.

Image quality depends on the codec used and the resolution and bit rate of the transmission channel.
    Last edited by edDV; 2nd Dec 2010 at 06:08.
    Quote Quote