VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all. First post! I am working on a conversion/editing project where we would take an unencrypted dvd and put in an editable format for a bunch of students to work on. I am using Win 7 and MPEG Streamclip to convert this to an avi format. Everytime I convert, the audio is off by about 2-3 seconds. I am trying to make a procedure for the teacher to be able to do this himself, and am finding that after 10 different tries with multiple settings, it is becoming very time consuming. Can anyone help? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by notachancegp View Post
    I am using Win 7 and MPEG Streamclip to convert this to an avi format.
    uncompressed AVI?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try converting the dvd to mpeg-2 with vob2mpg. from there you can go to avi if you need to.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the quick replies. I will try that program first. I have been trying to set it as MJPEG with the Apple MPEG2 codec as most guides seem to want it to be in that for Adobe Premiere CS4 to avoid issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a better choice might be to leave it mpeg-2 or convert to DVavi for the kids to edit, as it's easily editable on almost any system.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. The only problem is size. The source is approx 2 hours of video for them to pick and choose scenes from. DV-AVI will make it huge.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is the target software premiere pro cs4 on windows platform?

it can edit mpeg-ps streams natively (.mpeg or .mpg, but not in vob format), so you can rip it with something like dvd decrypter or dvd shrink and convert the vobs to mpeg (e.g. vob2mpg, mpg2cut2)

this way there is no quality loss, and no change in filesize

you can even use dvd shrink to cut segments out with no compression (e.g. if you wanted certain clips) , or mpg2cut2 can cut segments as well
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, this is the CS4 Premiere for Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Starting to get at the end of my wits! I have spent the afternoon working with MPEG Streamclip, Vob2MPG, and AVIDemux - not having any luck. Is there an easy way of taking this DVD to an Mpeg2 or AVI format for editing that is half way easy?
    Quote Quote  
  10. what do you mean "not having any luck" ?

can you be a bit more descriptive ?

You can import it directly once you have a mpeg file.

Just open a vob in mpg2cut2, (or any of the other programs) save it as mpeg , open it in premiere. That's it.

If you wanted to re-encode it to avi, use avidemux or vdubmod - there will be quality loss unless you use a lossless format (huge filesize)

Are you sure it's not copy protected ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK - 1 day since and let me give more details. I am helping a class take a movie (the matrix for arguments sake) and chop it up and learn some techniques. It has been decrypted into an iso to work with. Item will be deleted when done. Quality is not the most important at this point. All the computers are running with windows xp with Premiere CS4, and no MPEG2 codec on the systems. I did try to use MpegCut2 to convert it to MPEG, but premiere would not play audio back with it. What would be my best course of action? I used MPEG Stream Clip, with the audio being 5 seconds behind. I was hoping we could come up with a procedure that would easily work for most videos that would work, but have invested about 20 hours into this project so far. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  12. If it's a constant delay, you can sync the audio in premiere . More learning for the kids

I'm not sure what else to suggest, you can try DV-AVI , uncompressed AVI => these will work for sure. You can open it up in vdubmod and choose any compression . This is even easier than mpegstreamclip

It shouldn't be that difficult. One of my computers has XP and CS4 as well, it imports mpeg2 directly, as long as it's not VOB (has to be mpeg2-ps like .mpg or .mpeg). No external MPEG2 decoder is used, it comes with premiere. I doubled check again yesterday to make sure it works.

Maybe something is wrong or peculiar with the source DVD ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ok. So say I want to convert first to DV-AVI, then compress lower - what programe would move it from vob to DV-AVI? Also, thanks for the help - this project has been maddening!
    Quote Quote  
  14. by "compress lower" , you mean lower bitrate, lower filesize etc... ?

You should be able to do it in 1 step . Use something like mjpeg in AVI, instead of DV-AVI. DV-AVI was mentioned because it is very compatible with most software and you're less likely to run into issues . You could use avidemux to convert to mjpeg , but premiere needs an external vfw mjpeg decoder. A free one is ffdshow

All other "AVI" formats won't be supported by Premiere natively. Only DV-AVI (and uncompressed). Everything else like xvid, divx, mjpeg, cineform etc.... need external programs to be installed - premiere CS4 doesn't come with them. Another reason why DV-AVI will give you the least headache. Or your IT guy will likely have to install a bunch of stuff

If this is a hollywood dvd , from a film source, you have other problems. It will likely be telecined. You should inverse telecine before importing.

I have a feeling there is something else wrong with your source, or it wasn't properly decrypted
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 2nd Dec 2010 at 17:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MPEG2 from the DVD is still your best bet......you don't seem to be able to grasp the whole AVI thing.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I tried a different copy of the video last night, with the same results in size. When I try from the original ISO, it plays perfectly. I was originally trying to put it in MJPEG as that is a decent codec to work with, but that is where the struggles began.
    Quote Quote