VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

New to ripping DVDs and have been reading this forum group with interest. Think I may have spent money when needn't off - I have paid for Wondershare DVD ripper - please don't tell me I shouldn't and there are just as good freebie ones out there as the horse has already bolted so to speak. I have a couple of queries and would appreciate your advise on.

I have an Imac 2.8ghz intel core i7.

1. Any one give me a not too technical overview. I hear about codecs and carriers and no real idea what the difference is. If there is already a previous answer then I'm happy to be directed.
    2. I'm effectively backing up all my DVDs to computer / hard disc. I want to be able to play back the films / series on my main computer or apple laptop or TV via laptop - I know how to do this. However I will also want to be able to play the films on my Itouch. I am baffled as to the varying different ways of saving.

My basic impression is that I'd save in one format and when needed to convert to another (unles itunes automatically converts - does it?) by some freebie download that I see people talking about.

So please what is the best format for storing the ripped DVD (at present I have simply done MP4 and can't recall the codec). The film is about 2gb in this format and I have chosen 720 x 480 with relatively high but not highest bit rates. Does this sound stupid?

Cheers guys

Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by doc-bc View Post
    2. I will also want to be able to play the films on my Itouch.
    The iPod Touch has quite strict video requirements: H.264 MP, MPEG-4 SP, M-JPEG. Of these, H.264 is the most relevant, as a modern high quality codec, which allows for relatively small files (high compression with high quality).

You would want to convert your DVD to MP4 (the container) with video in H.264 (the video codec) and audio in AAC (the audio codec). H.264 comes in many flavors, and you want "Main Profile" "level 3.1" (or lower) for the iPod Touch. This shouldn't limit you as only High Definition content requires a higher profile and level, i.e. it is good for all DVD sources.
    AAC has several profiles too, and you want "AAC LC" (low complexity) for the iPod Touch.
    Quote Quote