VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Is there such a thing? Where can I buy it inexpensively?

The reason is that I have a complete S-video system (everything connected with S-video to S-video cables), including a standard definition 4x3 TV, satellite TV receiver, S-VHS VCR, and several DVD players. I might want to introduce a new HD TV into the system, but most of them don't have a S-Video input connector. Eventually I may convert all the components to HDMI, but not all at once...
    Quote Quote  
  2. almost any modern, decent AV receiver is capable to accept S-Video and convert S-Video to the HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    examples? links? prices?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yamaha RX-V767, Yamaha RX-V3900... this only example - there is many more on market, various vendors, just verify that they support "Full Analog Video Upconversion to HDMI"
    Quote Quote  
  5. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    A quick google indicates prices for those models over $1,000.00 US dollars!
    That's very expensive. I'm looking for an inexpensive solution, if there is one...

If there are S-Video to HDMI cables and/or inexpensive S-Video to HDMI converters (under $100 US) then I'm interested.

Are there?
    Quote Quote  
  6. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm still googling and looking...
    According to this link, there is no such thing as a S-Video to HDMI cable, which they say is impossible:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/svideo-to-hdmi-cable.html

True or false?

This source sells a S-Video to HDMI converter for $95, still a bit pricey. I might be better off looking for a HD TV which has a S-Video input connector, although most don't. The 32" widescreen Emerson has one, the best solution I've come across yet. As long as it has a S-Video input as well as HDMI input(s) to the TV, I can input either S-Video or HD video signals. That's what I need.
    Quote Quote  
  7. pandy must only buy >$1000 receivers. Receivers much below that price will not convert analog to digital, just switch.
    Quote Quote  
  8. People... its bellow 1000$ not even 750$ for quite good Yamaha - there is plenty cheaper receivers - around 500$ especially in US.
    Some of them not supporting S-Video (but support component and composite video - upscaling this days is quite common even in AV receivers for 250$).

Like Marantz SR5004 - 500$ on many shops - support S-Video with upscaling to the HDMI
    Last edited by pandy; 22nd Nov 2010 at 10:23.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Again, I have no interest in expensive solutions like those. Something under $100 is all I will/can consider.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If You using HDMI thus probably You use AV receiver anyway... so why buy separate device only for upconverting S-Video instead use decent AV receiver. but it is Your money and Your time - i only suggest to consider buy AV receiver.
    Still You can use any (ok maybe max 5 yrs old) PC with cheapest HDMI output graphic card to do upconversion from S-Video (any analog capture card can do this).
    Quote Quote  
  11. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/stohdco1.html

Also, I believe some DVD recorders have s-video inputs and HDMI outputs with live pass through.
    Quote Quote  
  12. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    AV receivers are much too expensive, also my PC is not involved. My TV viewing and PC systems are entirely separate. My TV viewing system includes a S-VHS VCR, satellite TV receiver, and several DVD players. That's all.

Nobody has responded to the assertion that a simple S-Video to HDMI cable is impossible. So I assume it's impossible. Right?

That being the case (apparently) there seem to be two relatively inexpensive options: buy a S-Video to HDMI converter online for about $95 plus shipping, or buy a HD TV which already has both S-Video and HDMI input connections. Most don't but at least one does - Emerson 32" and smaller. Any other brands???

So I'm looking at an Emerson 32" diagonal HD TV which sells for $198 on Black Friday and has both S-Video and HDMI inputs. That's probably what I'll get, if I wake up early enough.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    Nobody has responded to the assertion that a simple S-Video to HDMI cable is impossible. So I assume it's impossible. Right?
    There is no provision for analog video in the HDMI spec. Analog s-video has to be digitized before it can be transmitted via HDMI. That requires a lot of electronics. I don't know how well those s-video to HDMI converters work. I suspect they perform a simple bob to get from interlaced analog to progressive 720p HDMI. Or even worse, a blend or drop field deinterlace.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Buy a S-Video to Component Cable (~$2)
    http://www.amazon.com/S-Video-MDIN7-Component-Infocus-Projector/dp/B001UW1D58/

Then buy a Component to HDMI Converter (~$45)
    http://www.amazon.com/Component-video-YPbPr-Converter-Up-scale/dp/B0016SN49Y/

But who knows what the quality will be after the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    So I'm looking at an Emerson 32" diagonal HD TV which sells for $198 on Black Friday and has both S-Video and HDMI inputs. That's probably what I'll get, if I wake up early enough.
    I think that i understand Your point - then good luck on wake up early morning!
    TV with S-Video should solve Your problem.

PS
    No, this is not possible - HDMI is purely digital interface, so there is need to use quite complex IC that digitize, decode analog video then probably deinterlace as mentioned with probably poor quality and resize also probably with poor quality, then video can be sended by HDMI as a pixels to TV.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    Buy a S-Video to Component Cable (~$2)
    http://www.amazon.com/S-Video-MDIN7-Component-Infocus-Projector/dp/B001UW1D58/

Then buy a Component to HDMI Converter (~$45)
    http://www.amazon.com/Component-video-YPbPr-Converter-Up-scale/dp/B0016SN49Y/

But who knows what the quality will be after the conversion.
    Converter can work, but the cable not (it is probably cable that use S-Video plug but it will NOT convert S-Video to component - to do this some color decoder NTSC or PAL or SECAM must be used - so also such solution need some power to work - Integrated Circuit will not work without power supply)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    As pandy pointed out, this will not work. It does not convert an s-video signal to a component signal. It just routes pins.
    Quote Quote