VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok so i'm at a little bit of a dilemma here. I have an H264 MPEG 4 AVC .ts file that seems to be impossible to edit seamlessly on Mac OS X. I've tried MPEG Streamclip, ClipWrap, and even tried opening with Quicktime and none seem to want to work with it. I have the MPEG 2 Component installed, and the only programs that seems to work with the file are VLC and Final Cut Pro.

I don't want to use Final Cut Pro because I just want to edit the .ts file directly without any conversions (I plan on just trimming a few parts of it). I was able to edit these types of files before when I used Windows with h264ts cutter, as well as able to demux it with DGAVCDEC.

I also installed Perian and VoltaicHD to see if those would help and no avail. Handbrake can open the file with no problems, but unfortunately I can't trim with Handbrake.

Anyone know of a solution? If there's a possible way of just rewrapping the file into a workable format without re-encoding or conversion than that'd be great. I'd hate to have to resort to using Parallels or Bootcamp for Windows

Here's a sample file of what I'm trying to edit:
    Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hwfbxblaq7uoxrf
    Quote Quote  
  2. hello,

MPSC is based on QuickTime Features to decode 264 (and QT is not able to read this 264 encoding)
    TsMuxerGui can do some very basic trim (in a "blind mode" )
    Personnaly, I use EyeTv to trim:
    - I recorded an HD broadcasting (duration 3 or 4 hours)
    - I deleted the video part inside the recording

When I have an 264 file (not recorded by Eyetv):
    - I duplicated the eyetv bundle
    - I drop my external 264 into eyTV cbundle
    - I double-click on EyeTv bundle to open it in EyTv software
    - I can trim it with the thumbnails in the "edition" section

That's not the more ergonomical way to do, but the most reliable for me

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Which version of Eyetv do you use, and does it not re encode when you trim? And unfortunately, the tsmuxer doesn't work with Snow Leapord

Also what exactly do you mean by you duplicated the eyetv bundle?

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might also try Avidemux to put it into another container. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've tried avidemux but unfortunately that doesn't work with these file types
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, sorry. I read AVC as AVI on accident.

What does Final Cut Pro convert the file to - a raw DV stream? If so, I doubt you would lose any original quality in that transcode - kind of like taking a jpeg to a bmp. Of course, it would take time and a lot of file space.

Also - there are a LOT of command line utilities within VLC. As VLC is reading the file corectly, you might try on their forums to see what they would reccommend via command line - just mention upfront that you are on a Mac.

Out of curiousity, what error message to you get from MPEG Streamclip - a simple "The movie file could not be opened." or something? It has done very well with all my .TS streams, albeit they are Mpeg2/ AC3 streams.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't get any error messages, it's just that MPEG Streamclip refuses to open it. It'll just continue to show the loading bar and nothing will happen.

And my main thing is that I don't want to have to convert, because it would take an extremely long time with these files if I used FCP or VLC. I just mainly want native editing.

Using Herve's method with Eyetv seems to be a way to get it to work
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by grave101 View Post
    Which version of Eyetv do you use
    the last one (= 3.xx)
    and does it not re encode when you trim?
    no
    eyetv has a feature to trim (the "edition" menu). It only removes the part you don't want to keep (like MPSC does)
    click to validate your trims, and let eyetv do the trick

And unfortunately, the tsmuxer doesn't work with Snow Leapord
    make a search, somebody made an "hacked version" for Leopard (PS: the concern with the official version, comes only from "the software that built the app", this software is not compatible with SnowLeo yet)

Also what exactly do you mean by you duplicated the eyetv bundle?
    first I recorded 4 hours of HD streams (broadcasted on a TV channel)
    EyeTv produced a huge file (some GB)
    Eyetv files are folder (aka metapackage): you can access to its contents -in Finder- with the contextual menu "Display contents of packet" (or something like that, my system is not in english )
    The biggest file in it is the recorded stream, so I deleted it.

When I have a TransportStream file (AVC video wrapped in mpeg-ts)
    - I duplicate (copy-paste) the "eyetv file without video inside"
    - I drop my video file inside it, and renamme it accordly to the existing files (each eyetv metapackage contains some files and these files has the same name prefix). The result looks like someting like "4d5374545.mpg"
    - if I double-click on the eyetv file, it opens eyetv and I can edit (trim) the video with the displayed thumbnails.
    - I validate the trim, and eyeTv removes the parts I didn't want to keep.
    - Back to the Finder, open the metapackage and you will find your old video cleaned, just change its name (for your comfort), maybe its extension depending on your player (the resulting stream is a mpeg-ts file), and give it to your multimedia player to see it without ads

PS: it seems complicated? not really, I just spend a few minutes to trim my recorded stream with this way
    bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Oh great, thanks a bunch for that. So it seems like with eyetv I can't just open any file with it...I've got to trick eyetv into getting it

And should I record 4 hours like you did? I'm assuming the original that I'm tricking eyetv to think I'm using has to be longer than the .ts i'm trying to edit. Correct?

Thanks to eyetv's AutoScan I can record a TS file as I watch it, and Eyetv thinks its an average recording.
    Last edited by grave101; 22nd Nov 2010 at 17:16.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grave101 View Post
    I don't get any error messages, it's just that MPEG Streamclip refuses to open it. It'll just continue to show the loading bar and nothing will happen.

And my main thing is that I don't want to have to convert, because it would take an extremely long time with these files if I used FCP or VLC. I just mainly want native editing.

Using Herve's method with Eyetv seems to be a way to get it to work
    Yep, sounds like Herve's method will be a winner. I was just thinking that there may be a way to edit "blindly" with the command line via VLC if you knew the exact times you wanted your edits made. But, hopefully the Elgao solution will work great.

Also - are you using MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2?

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yeap I'm using the latest MPEG Streamclip
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cool
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by grave101 View Post
    So it seems like with eyetv I can't just open any file with it...
    not exactly: with my hack you cannot play stream inside Eyetv, but you can trim due eyetv's thumbnails (it's far from perfect but more easy than to do this in "a blind mode" )

And should I record 4 hours like you did?
    I live in france
    Broadcasters uses some differents specifications (eg: I have 5 HD channels I can record, and 2 protected . Both have not the same specifications during broadcasting)
    eg: broadcasted in 1920*1080 pixels or 1440*1080 pixels (depending on channels)
    Eyetv file store some informations (like the size), and when you drag stream inside an eyetv metapackage, the informations inside have to match with your stream (it's safer for the trim).
    so, personnaly I have 2 "empty eyetv files" (duration 4 hours each one). And I use one or the other depending on the size of my recorded file.

About the duration: eyetv will allowed you trim inside its duration only (eg: you recorded an eyetv file 5 minutes long, and drop a 2 hour file inside => you can only edit inside the 5 minutes)
    So record (once) 4 hours, delete its contents (the video part). You will obtain a "low file" (just some MB) and you will re-use it later to trim

bye
    Quote Quote  
  14. i'm curious to hear what you come up with, i've always converted my .ts files to vob format and then edited with MPEG Streamclip
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by pixel zombie View Post
    i'm curious to hear what you come up with, i've always converted my .ts files to vob format and then edited with MPEG Streamclip
    his concern here is about broadcasted AVC wrapped in TS. MPSC is great to read TS wrapper and edit MPEG2 content (SD and HD too), but it does not succeed if the TS stream contains some incompatible codec (aka broadcasted AVC )

bye
    Quote Quote