VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

I was was referred to this forum for some help about a very large project I am working on. I am currently preparing a large library of DVD for web-based streaming. The library consists of over 800 DVD titles each averaging 2 DVD. Currently I have tons of .vob files that ultimately need to be converted/encoded to mp4 h.264 for streaming both low quality and high quality videos. The final product needs to be similar quality to content on hulu.com. So I am asking for your help to show me the best and most efficient workflow and programs that I must use to get this job done.

I have ripped the entire DVD by simply copying all the contents within the DVD both audio_ts and video_ts folders. So, with each DVD disc that I have ripped I have the videos split up into about 4 indivdual .vob files. What I understand to get this job done is that I must merge/join these files before I can convert them to mp4/h264. I would ideally like to be able to complete this in a batch conversion that can merge and keep all of the files organized. Would I have to join/merge these files then convert them to .avi files then mp4?

Second, I am trying to figure out the best way to compress to mp4. I have tried this program called VisualHub, but the files still are extremely large to stream (~1 gb) for "standard" quality setting. I am currently trying AutoGK but that converts it to xvid .avi. I believe I am suppose to have these files to about 2mb/s

Anyway, I am extremely lost and frustrated with trying to figure out the best and most efficient solution to this. Can you please help me? I am trying to comlpete this process and upload all the content on a nearby deadline!! AH! Thanks for the help in advance!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To simplify your process convert your dvds to iso (this way there is only one file to work with), import it into handbrake and create a que.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Thanks so much! This does seem to be a lot easier to change everything to ISO. I am currently in the process of trying. I have gotten to the handbrake step so lets see what happens.

I wanted to know if you or anyone can help me on settings for Aspect ratio, target file size, etc. so that I am at the Web Streaming standard for these videos. Currently the DVD file is 720x480 and I believe it is suppose to be 320x480?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the web, try the default settings. If you are unhappy with the results for web streaming purposes try the "web optimized" option.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I just tried web-optimized, but the file size is still too large. I will try targeted file next to be 130mb and see how that turns out. Is there a way to do batch conversion to ISO with IMGburn?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the filesize is too big try setting to conversion to iphone&ipod touch making sure to click "keep aspect ratio" and feel free to play around with the audio bitrate (my experience tells me that a good majority of the data lies in the audio). As far as imgburn goes I have never had need of it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds good. Is there another program that that you recommend for converting to ISO that would allow batch conversions?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using ImgBurn and a batch file to create .iso image files from a standard DVD folder:

A folder named C:\Work contains the batch file and the DVD folders (each dvd folder in turn contains a folder named VIDEO_TS).
    The video files are no more than would fit on a standard disk (~4.3GB).
    The destination for the iso files is E:\IsoImg
    Change the following in ImgBurn [Tools > Settings > Build, page 1 set the box to Check 'Close Program']

This is the bat file (change paths as required).

@for /d %%i in (*.*) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /mode build /buildmode imagefile

/src "%%i\" /dest "E:\IsoImg\%%i.iso" /FILESYSTEM "iso9660 + UDF" /UDFREVISION "1.02" /VOLUMELABEL "%%i"

/rootfolder yes /noimagedetails /start /close
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sambat: I tried the batch file but it seems that it doesnt not work. I have created
    folder
    c:\Work and C:\Iso

within C:\work
    there are folders that contain folders named Video_ts

ie c:\work\551\video_ts

So if this were to work, I can put all of the dvd folders into C:\work and the batch should automatically convert all of them into ISO located within C:\ImgIso??
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using Imgburn with the default settings (and the Check 'Close Program' option selected), it should work.
    Even if the VIDEO_TS folder is buried in multiple folders, it will locate it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	4287
    Quote Quote