VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Please bear with me, as im new on the video editing scene.
    Ive been trying to edit my Panasonic Lumix DmTZ7 720P AVCHD lite mts files in sony vegas 10. First thing I want to do is make them into a format where i can smoothly edit the files but so far I've had mixed results.

My main idea was to get all the files i wanted to edit into vegas and then render them into a smoother format. After working on them I was gonna convert them back into a more compressed format.

Here is what mediainfo say about the raw mts files:
    PHP Code:
    Video
    ID                               
    4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID                          (0x1)
    Format                           AVC
    Format
    /Info                      Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                   
    High@L4.0
    Format settings
    CABAC           No
    Format settings
    ReFrames        1 frame
    Frame mode                       
    Frame doubling
    Codec ID                         
    Duration                         
    1mn 23s
    Bit rate mode                    
    Variable
    Bit rate                         
    14.3 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate                 
    16.6 Mbps
    Width                            
    1 280 pixels
    Height                           
    720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             
    16:9
    Frame rate                       
    25.000 fps
    Standard                         
    NTSC
    Color space                      
    YUV
    Chroma subsampling               
    4:2:0
    Bit depth                        
    8 bits
    Scan type                        
    Progressive
    Bits
    /(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.621
    Stream size                      
    143 MiB (95%)

Audio
    ID                               
    4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID                          (0x1)
    Format                           AC-3
    Format
    /Info                      Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension                   
    CM (complete main)
    Codec ID                         129
    Duration                         
    1mn 23s
    Bit rate mode                    
    Constant
    Bit rate                         
    192 Kbps
    Channel
    (s)                       : 2 channels
    Channel positions                
    FrontL R
    Sampling rate                    
    48.0 KHz
    Bit depth                        
    16 bits
    Stream size                      
    1.92 MiB (1%) 
    I am aware of the double frame issue of the AVCHD lite format but vegas seems to be fine with it..
    Using the match media settings, i create a New Project in vegas 10, and it seems it recognizes the mts files fine as you can be seen in the below picture(first row).

I then go on to render with the mts into an avi file with the settings shown above(top left). The rendered avi file is a tiny bit longer than the original, in most cases just 1 second.....and as a result its a little bit slower than realtime and the sound seems to be popping in and out resulting in some scratching(i guess because its been "stretched" to fit the longer clip?).

Did some reading on the forum and tried to change the settings to the ones in the lower row for New Project+Rendering (Basically same settings except 29,970fps NTSC instead of 50DP), and heres the fun part. The resulting file is still a bit longer than the original but the sound and picture seems to be at normal speed to my eyes.

So I'm at a bit of a loss how to proceed....
    1. Well maybe im just doing the first part wrong? should i convert the mts files some other way entirely?

2. Would it be sensible to format all my mts files into the 29,970 avi format even though the native files are 25 fps(double framed) and then process them into yet another format afterwards e.g. wouldn't that give some serious quality loss?

3. what video format should i choose for my final video, as i want to loose as little quality as possible, but still dont want a HUGE file (DVD/Blue-ray size is fine however)?
    Last edited by Domiel; 18th Nov 2010 at 15:50.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mediainfo indicates this is a camera from Europe , so you should set the project settings to 1280x720 , 25fps , disable resample on the clips (or else you'll get ghosting - double images)

Export settings should be 25fps as well

Final export format depends on what you intend to play it on. IF just a format for the computer playback , then try h.264/aac using the Mainconcept AVC Encoder

For intermediate editing format, you can try high bitrate I-frame MPEG2. Here is a free one that works well with all NLE's
    http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/windows/vfw_software_codecs/downloads/softwares/version1.0/

Or a format like Cineform (not free)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Cheers for the fast reply!
    Tried to do the first thing you said and it works! Although the resulting file is still 1 second longer for some reason. I guess it would be a bad idea to use the avi file with the settings you prescribed as an intermediate format though since you recommend the other one?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The one you're using for the intermediate is uncompressed YUV - it's lossless and should work fine

But on slower or fragged HDD, you might find scrubbing slower because of high data rates . If it works for you performance wise, then go ahead (your 1sec longer might actually be from playback issues - try another format and see if it occurs) . Ideally you should use separate HDD's for program, input clips , output clips and, scrub disc

You might consider upgrading your system too, AVCHD Lite should edit quite smoothly on a quad core (it's only 1280x720, and data rates are low)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Looked through the possibilities for rendering intermediates in vegas and it also has the format you suggested (i think at least):

Runs smooth in vegas + the file sizes are much smaller than avi and i reckon its lossless too?
    Still takes 1 sec longer to play the file compared to original, but as you said its probably just playback issues.

Only have 2 HDD's on my comp 1 being 1TB and the other 250GB so gonna be hard to split up the workload

Anyway think im settled on the I-frame MPEG2 format as intermediate (if that is in fact what i found)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony provides the .MXF format for an intermediate, it's Mpeg2 "Sony Style".
    Quote Quote  
  7. @Domiel - No, that's HDV, that' s a long GOP (not I-frame only) 25Mb/s format (you actually have it set for 18Mb/s) you have in your screenshot. It's not lossless. There's going to be more quality loss compared to the other >100Mb/s formats , but it might be "good enough" for some purposes .
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ahh ok Ill probably just stick with the other format then. CHecking out the MXF format now..
    *Edit heres the settings used for making the MFX file. Think I've cranked it all the way up there but still it seems its only 31Mb/s

Say i wanna play the movie on a high res projector, or on a hd tv would there be a big visual difference from the 100mb/s lossless conversion, i mean exactly how much actual visual quality will be lost? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a feel for this....
    Last edited by Domiel; 18th Nov 2010 at 17:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're already past the point where it matters. The 31 you're looking at is on the quality scale. The average bitrate will be 35M.

There's a 422 format in there too, if you want to get ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Domiel View Post
    Say i wanna play the movie on a high res projector, or on a hd tv would there be a big visual difference from the 100mb/s lossless conversion, i mean exactly how much actual visual quality will be lost?
    This is impossible to answer in general terms. It will depend on the content and how compressible the source is. If there is lots of noise, lots of detail, lots of movement, 35Mb/s MPEG2 might not be enough. For most cases it should be ok - of these AVCHD Lite cameras don't resolve a lot of detail and the image isn't super crisp - but do some tests for yourself.

This setting you're using is long GOP MPEG2 (I-frame MPEG2 is easier to decode = snappier to edit, because you don't have to decode interframe, every frame is a keyframe) . But I-frame only (intra) requires a higher bitrate for the same quality (it's not as efficiently compressed)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, then.

DJ Guyaharta
    =======================================
    Latest Remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWxArJl_dr4
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok I've decided to use proxy-files instead of an intermediate. Have 33GB files distributed over 515 720p PAL MTS-clips that I need to convert to Proxy files for snappy editing. Have around 400GB Vacant space for them(possibly more).
    I was Originally gonna use sony MFX as proxy but played around with some avi-clips and they feel a bit less laggy to work with (preview works a bit faster).
    Computer specs are as follows:
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Intel Pentium 4 3GHz
    Nvidia Geforce 9600GT
    2GB Ram
    (Yep i know i need a new rig)

Tried installing the MATROX codec as suggested in this thread but it gives me an error and wont install,
    "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way...."
    Possibly because theres a conflict with another codec (Mainconcept perhaps?)
    These are my installed codecs:

Can i use any of those, or is there another faster one (preferably free) i should DL?
    Quote Quote