VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using Applian's Free Recorder (which is a browser toolbar) to record digital output from my computer, but I encountered a problem when recording each track separately. The program automatically stops recording and cuts the bass track into probably 50 pieces or so. I need another program to record directly from my computer. It might be noted the Audacity doesn't seem to work on my computer and I have a Toshiba Satellite L505 S6946, which only has a microphone and a headphone jack.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Tahlos; 18th Nov 2010 at 21:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How do you do multitrack and keep the tempo?

Anyway, myself I use Sound Forge and set up my recorder, (H2 Zoom) as a Windows input device, but that's just for vocals.

Then I use Ableton live to multitrack.

I'm curious how you can overdub with any regular sound editor like Audacity.
    Last edited by budwzr; 16th Nov 2010 at 20:16.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I'm curious how you can overdub with any regular sound editor like Audacity.
    In Audacity, you simply set in the recording preferences the option "Overdub: play other tracks while recording new one".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm just interested in recording the output from a program like Guitar Pro 5. Sorry I made the huge mistake of writing "recording input" not putting output. sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Audacity should be good for this. What problems do you get with it?

However, if you need to listen to an already recorded track while recording output from another program (eg Guitar Pro), you probably need software like Total Recorder which acts like a separate sound device that you can route individual programs through.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I tried to use Audacity and whenever I go to edit > preferences > audio I/O > recording drop down bar, all i get is "Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input," and "Microphone (High Definition Aud," which appears twice. I can't select a system mix or anything of the sort.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to select the appropriate source via your sound card's recording controls, eg
    Control Panel->Sounds and Audio->Audio->Sound Recording->Volume
    You should see an option there for Stereo Mix or such like.

The problem though is that selecting this source will also record Audacity's own output at the same time. This makes it difficult to do multitrack recordings as you can't usefully switch on the Overdub [see post #3] option (the old track will get re-recorded with the new one). That's why, if you are multitrack recording output from a program, you probably need to route that program's output to a separate virtual sound device [see post #6].
    Quote Quote  
  9. I cant seem to find that option. It might be noted that I'm using windows 7 and that the layout for the control panel is different. all I get when I go to "Sound" (there is no "Sounds and Audio" option) is my 2 microphones to select in the "Recording" tab.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sejts4stj.png
Views:	149
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	4300  

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried selecting it and opening the Properties or Configure?
    It may be there is an option there to change the recording source to something else.
    I'm only guessing here - I don't know about Windows 7 and maybe it's done in a different way.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Unfortunately I can't do that... the properties have to do with the microphones. It's frustrating. Do you know of any other programs that wil record without automatically cutting the track when there is no sound (like a rest)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, if you can get samples of bass and make loops out of them, you can rearrange the song, change tempo, and pitch without having to play the whole thing over and over.
    Quote Quote