1440 x 1080
    25 fps

clip 2:
    1280 x 720
    29,97 fps

My final export shall be in:
    1440 x 1080
    25 fps

final cut doesnt seem to react when im mixing these two formats in the timeline. but how do this affect my movie? or final cut handles these two without any problems?

thanks

Perik
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Take a short sample clip (~10 seconds should be enough) from each larger clip, load them into final cut, and see for yourself what the output will be?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by perik View Post
    Hi!

I have two clips.

clip 1:
    1440 x 1080
    25 fps

clip 2:
    1280 x 720
    29,97 fps

My final export shall be in:
    1440 x 1080
    25 fps

final cut doesnt seem to react when im mixing these two formats in the timeline. but how do this affect my movie? or final cut handles these two without any problems?

thanks

Perik
    You didn't state whether the clips are interlace or progressive but I'll assume clip 1 and export will be to AVCHD or HDV 1080i. The 1280x720/29.97 clip is most likely progressive.

Can't speak directly to FCP but for the general NLE one sets a project format which can either match the source or destination format. In your case this would be 1440x1080i/25. Import of 1280x720p/29.97 clip to a 1440x1080i/25 timeline will force both a resolution and frame rate interpolation when the timeline is rendered. In addition, the 720p progressive will be converted to 1080i interlace. The quality of such conversion varies by editor. Best results would be obtained external to the editor using AVISynth filters to do the conversion.

Specific to FCP, one can set an uncompressed timeline or use AIC (8 bit/component 4:2:0) or ProRes422 digital intermediates. AIC is sufficient for HDV or AVCHD source clips.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't discern any difference, your software is probably conforming everything automatically. That means there is cropping or zooming going on.

This is one of the reasons FCP enthusiasts feel the software is so advanced and user friendly, whereas the hardcore tightbutted editors would not feel comfortable at all not knowing what's happening.

You should be able to turn that off, probably have to dig around in the preferences, then you can make your own decisions.
    Last edited by budwzr; 17th Nov 2010 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    If you can't discern any difference, your software is probably conforming everything automatically. That means there is cropping or zooming going on.

This is one of the reasons FCP enthusiasts feel the software is so advanced and user friendly, whereas the hardcore tightbutted editors would not feel comfortable at all not knowing what's happening.

You should be able to turn that off, probably have to dig around in the preferences, then you can make your own decisions.
    But conforming to what? Probably AIC 1920x1080i which scales everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was thinking the project settings, or maybe the first event on the timeline? Nah, what if it's a still? There must be a default project setting somewhere.

Have you ever tried to convert an ACC to MP3 in iTunes? It's in there, but WAY DOWN in there, extremely difficult to find.

I wonder what it does about the frame speed difference?
    Last edited by budwzr; 17th Nov 2010 at 21:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I was thinking the project settings, or maybe the first event on the timeline? Nah, what if it's a still? There must be a default project setting somewhere.

Have you ever tried to convert an ACC to MP3 in iTunes? It's in there, but WAY DOWN in there, extremely difficult to find.

I wonder what it does about the frame speed difference?
    It would be the project setting. Final Cut steers an AVCHD project to AIC 1920x1080i.
    Quote Quote