VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm preparing to get new PC via custom-build shop. Which jacks or connectors to I need to have installed to hook it up to a LCD TV having 'component' video and 'MTS' Audio (1 R/L RCA Audio)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need a video card that will go to component tv out, and the cable to connect them. You will need an audio out on the motherboard or sound card, typically you will connect that with a mini stereo jack cable that ends in rca (what I call rca the basic red and white cable ends) left and right connection cable, which video card to pick, thats a whole other story and only begs more questions such as... what do you want to watch on your tv that your sending from your computer. Are you gaming? Are you just doing e-mail and web browsing? Do you need cuda support *(NVidia only as far as I know). Do you prefer ATI chipset video cards etc. The questions are endless but thats the basic deal. I have an ATI video card with HDMI video out and a cable from the sound card to my surround sound system.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For NVidia cards look for the circular 9 pin DIN connector which carries analog component and S-Video outputs. Also confirm the card supports "PureVideo HD" (h.264/VC-1/MPeg2 hardware decode). Also check for included 9 pin DIN to Green, Red, Blue RCA component cable. Audio will come from the sound card or mother board.

Example
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9500GT.png
Views:	373
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	4188

Beware of the new line of budget "HDMI" cards that lack any analog outputs (other than VGA). There are GT and GTX cards with the DIN connector if you search.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GT.png
Views:	380
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	4189
    Last edited by edDV; 12th Nov 2010 at 19:01.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ed pointed out some great cards and they can be had for relatively low prices. The only other issues and I completely forgot to mention, size, I have a mid tower case with a very large cooling fan on the cpu, your builder should know whether you can go with a full height, half height or compact video card in the case, space matters. And the only other issue is power consumption and heat, lower power usually means less heat, your power supply also matters, if you're loading the case with multiple hard drives, raid arrays, 2 or more dvd burners etc.. you will want a very good power supply in the case or a video card that isn't consuming a ton of power and producing massive heat, a lot to think about when you get to the nuts and bolts of it all. Make sure your builder is aware of your needs, wants, and future plans.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just throwing a related Q into the mix; there is a lot of wireless streaming vid talk lately, is it 'here' and what components would you add for that as well? Would there be any inherent conflicts of signal flow?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Solutions like wireless HDMI are expensive and don't work very well from what I've read. You're better off getting something like the WDTV Live.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are plenty of video cards with a PCI Express 2.0 x16 interface, HDTV-out and the round mini-din port but they don't often include the break-out cable that you need. More often, they include an s-video cable or nothing for the mini-din port. Unfortunately, finding the right break-out cable as an aftermarket accessory may take some work if it is not included.

This is another NVidia card that includes a break-out cable
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139036

This is an ATI card with ATI Avivo HD Video that doesn't includes a break-out cable
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150396

...but VisionTek sells a component adapter that should work with ATI video cards that have a 7-pin HDTV-out + S-video connector
    http://www.visiontek.com/store/accessories.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flyp...category_id=14
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Nov 2010 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Just throwing a related Q into the mix; there is a lot of wireless streaming vid talk lately, is it 'here' and what components would you add for that as well? Would there be any inherent conflicts of signal flow? "

I have two Roku players tied into my home network now, 1 is connected to my router via ethernet cable, the other is connected wirelessly to the router. My experience has been extremely positive with these devices, now my Roku that is wireless is an original model that does 720p hi-def not full high 1080i or p, I have plenty of bandwidth from the internet service provider, I can be surfing on my laptop and still watch a 720p movie or whatever on the Roku. The wired Roku is a full HD model tied to a 60" hi def TV, I am again, extremely pleased with this device. I have netflix, amazon video, and a bunch of other internet "channels" on both Roku players.

There are other ways to stream as well, you could use your computer as a netflix or amazon video player and send that to your tv via the video and sound card. There are other options as well. This all depends on your internet bandwidth and your home network being able to handle the streams.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks SG- I'm using Virgin's Novatel USB aircard ($40/mo for unlimited Gigs) to stream Netflix & Hulu- works very well most of the time, but it'd sure be nice to have what you got!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a WDTV Live and an HTPC that I use for streaming from the internet and around the house. I also have PlayOn running on my home server so the WDTV Live and other DLNA devices can access a lot of other online content.
    Quote Quote