VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm really frustrated with MKV files - I can get high quality videos that are of this format
    BUT: I want to play on my Blu Ray player that ONLY will play avi files like Xdiv and DivX

Yes, I can go out and buy an MKV player - but these look horrible and I would much rather have a Blu Ray player that played MKV!

Changing from MKV to avi - you lose quality right?

Is there any way of converting and not losing quality?

Thanks

OM
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can remux from MKV to AVI. But unless the codecs are acceptable to your AVI playing Blu-ray player (ie, Divx/Xvid) it won't play them. You will lose some quality if you recompress them with Divx/Xvid. And if they are high def files you'll probably have to downscale to standard definition resolutions (not more than 720 pixels wide, 576 pixels tall) for you player (many Divx Blu-ray players will only play standard definition AVI files).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh damn! back to square one then
    i've got an avi in high definition resolution - i assumed if i burned to a dvd, i would be able to play - from what ur saying this won't be the case!
    aaaah!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OM2 View Post
    oh damn! back to square one then
    i've got an avi in high definition resolution - i assumed if i burned to a dvd, i would be able to play - from what ur saying this won't be the case!
    aaaah!
    Back to square one is needed.

MKV and AVI are wrappers, not codecs. So taking your original question at face value yes you could change the wrapper from MKV to AVI but there is little chance it would play in a Blu-Ray player. Blu-Ray players in general want MPeg2, h.264 or VC-1 in m2ts transport stream wrappers. Even then, these players want strict disc formatting in Blu-Ray or so called "AVCHD" file structures.

I'm unaware of a Blu-Ray player that accepts divx or xvid HD files.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the Blu-Ray player is AVCHD-compatible you might take a look at BDtoAVCHD
    Quote Quote