VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a standard def camcorder (Canon GL2). I need to record straight from that into a DVD recorder using DVD-R media. My old DVD recorder just gave out. I purchased a Panasonic DMR-XW380 which is HD. Will this work? I don't have much experience in these matters - the guy at the shop said you can only get HD recorders now and I forgot to mention my standard def camera.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Form what I see in the product specs about that particular unit, the HD part is for the DVR (recordings made to hard drive). Thus, I think DVD part would be standard definition.

Another issue: you list your location as US, and NTSC country, but it seems this unit is sold in PAL countries.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Jmin - welcome to the forums. You should not say "HD DVD" as that refers to a dead format for HD video and there is no longer any support for it.

DVD format does not in any way support high definition. I'm not aware of any BluRay recorders sold in the USA, but if such things do exist I'd bet that you're not going to like the price (thousands of dollars). Just because a "guy at the shop" says something that doesn't mean it's true.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Panasonic makes what they call a Freeview HD recorder made for the UK which can at times be bought here on ebay and possibly other places. The ONLY HD recording it does is from Freeview which isn't available here. It will not record external HD sources.

I believe those recorders are multi-system, not sure on that though, if it is then it will work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course its multi system, PAL is standard in the UK!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  6. The DMR-XW380 has two Freeview HD tuners and a 250GB hard disk, enabling recordings to be made that can then be archived to DVD. Around 255 hours of standard definition recordings can be made, or roughly 65 hours of HD programming, though the latter can't be archived to a DVD in hi-def, of course.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/digital-tv-recorders/panasonic-dmr-xw380...#ixzz155dulZ6X
    Quote Quote