VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm definitely new at this. What is the best way for converting Video8 and Hi8 to digital, so that I can edit it on my Mac? Some of the video seems degraded but not all. Want good quality but also don't want to spend a ton of money. One company recommended the Grass Valley ADVC300 converter, which goes for around $400. The step down version, which doesn't improve the video quality, is about $200. A techie friend said he thought iMovie would stabilize just as well and thought the less expensive converter would work. My old Sony Video8 camcorder has died but I can borrow my friend's. Thoughts, advice?
    Quote Quote  
  2. if you are referring to the ADVC110 then yes it would work just fine. use s-video rather than composite if the borrowed cam has it for an output.

and make sure your mac has a firewire port.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can get a Digital-8/Hi-8 camcorder on eBay for under $200. As long as it has a FireWire connector, it will convert any analog tape over to digital through the FW port.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No computer program, including iMovie will correct time base errors but they can correct levels.

Two ways as said above.

1. Hi8 camcorder to a converter box such as the Canopus ADVC 100/110/300. These convert analog to DV format over Firewire.

2. Digital8 camcorder that can play analog Video8/Hi8. Note that not all Digital8 camcorders support analog playback. Check the specs.

Digital8 camcorders and ADVC-300 include basic time base correction. The ADVC 100/110 don't.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks much for the guidance.

So, for converting old, somewhat degraded analog Video8, would buying a used Digital8 camcorder be my best bet for good quality at the lowest cost?

Or is that risky, given that my own Sony Video8 analog camera died in its sleep? (It worked fine, until it didn't work at all.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ldemer View Post

So, for converting old, somewhat degraded analog Video8, would buying a used Digital8 camcorder be my best bet for good quality at the lowest cost?

Or is that risky, given that my own Sony Video8 analog camera died in its sleep? (It worked fine, until it didn't work at all.)
    Digital8 (with analog tape playback capability) is the easiest way to go and will have "good" quality to DV Firewire.

For "better to best" quality you would use a good Hi8 cam/deck + TBC + DV converter.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Sounds like the more expensive converter, ADVC-300, may be the way to go. If I'm going to invest hours in editing my little movies, I should be starting with the best quality video. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Though it's even more expensive, the Sony Digital 8 Clamshell might be a more durable and useful piece of hardware.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207304-REG/Sony_GVD800_GVD_800_Digital_8_Video.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Or you could just use a comp. that converts it for you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Digital8 (with analog tape playback capability) is the easiest way to go and will have "good" quality to DV Firewire.

For "better to best" quality you would use a good Hi8 cam/deck + TBC + DV converter.
    I have a Digital8 camcorder (Sony TRV120) with analog output as well as DV firewire. I have seen dedicated Hi8 cams previously recommended here as being superior for analog tape capture. Is there a fundamental difference in how a Hi8 cam processes analog video versus a Digital8 cam that makes the former a better choice? That is, why couldn't I use the s-video out of a Digital8 cam + TBC + DV converter, as mentioned above, and get similar quality results?
    Last edited by vectorthom; 6th Dec 2010 at 19:12. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vectorthom View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

I have a Digital8 camcorder (Sony TRV120) with analog output as well as DV firewire. I have seen dedicated Hi8 cams previously recommended here as being superior for analog tape capture. Is there a fundamental difference in how a Hi8 cam processes analog video versus a Digital8 cam that makes the former a better choice? That is, why couldn't I use the s-video out of a Digital8 cam + TBC + DV converter, as mentioned above, and get similar quality results?
    I don't understand your question.

Your TRV120 won't play Video8 or Hi8 legacy analog tapes.

If you are asking about your D8 recorded tapes, you are better using the Firewire output. There is no need for a TBC.

Some higher D8 models do analog capture. That is different issue.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can confirm that this model does play analog tapes. I have a bunch of family Video8 cassettes and specifically sought out this model for its analog pass-thru via firewire, aka "iLink." I have used it to capture the Video8 tapes to Final Cut Pro on a Mac.

But based on your comments above, I'm now curious if using the firewire out is the best way to go. Could I use the camera's s-video out instead and connect to an external TBC + DV converter (as mentioned) and get the "better to best" results you're talking about? Or is their something about the fact that my camera is, first and formost, a Digital8 camera that would prohibit me from getting the same results a dedicated Hi8 cam/deck would give? Hope that makes more sense.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vectorthom View Post
    I can confirm that this model does play analog tapes. I have a bunch of family Video8 cassettes and specifically sought out this model for its analog pass-thru via firewire, aka "iLink." I have used it to capture the Video8 tapes to Final Cut Pro on a Mac.

But based on your comments above, I'm now curious if using the firewire out is the best way to go. Could I use the camera's s-video out instead and connect to an external TBC + DV converter (as mentioned) and get the "better to best" results you're talking about? Or is their something about the fact that my camera is, first and formost, a Digital8 camera that would prohibit me from getting the same results a dedicated Hi8 cam/deck would give? Hope that makes more sense.
    OK I was in error on the TRV-120. The early generation 100 series did play analog tapes. Later models did not.

I have a first generation TRV-103 that is similar to yours. Output to Firewire has perfect levels and good timebase stability. The analog outputs are sub-par. Levels are off (black at zero IRE, white ~80 IRE) and the signal is noisy vs. Firewire.

There were two show stoppers for me in using Digital8 for capture but these may not affect others. Many of my Hi8 tapes were shot with pro or prosumer Hi8 camcorders with 4 channel audio. The camcorder stereo mic recorded ambient sound to the AFM tracks and the wireless mics were recorded to PCM digital. The Digital8 camcorder does not support PCM digital audio from Hi8, only AFM stereo.

The second issue was lack of picture in shuttle when playing analog tapes. I needed to log these tapes and only capture selected clips so 1x play did not work for me.

So instead I turned to my CCD-V5000 camcorder that included PCM audio and internal TBC/DNR. I captured that with a Canopus ADVC-100 with very nice results. The signal to noise was better than capturing the same tape with the Digital8 camcorder.

An ideal Hi8 capture setup would us a pro Hi8 deck with a TBC that included drop-out compensation. Tape dropouts are the main problem with Hi8.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have been using a device (VIDEO2DIGITAL) for quite some time now and it's worked very well. I just recently had a need again( I got handed a couple of tapes with a plea for help) and dragged it out again. It did not fail. I made a short video of my experience. Please take a look it might help. https://youtu.be/LSoHQ2jIJRU
    Last edited by theshootinguy; 20th Dec 2022 at 12:49.
    Quote Quote