VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, I'm PlatS, and obviously newbie around here. My father and I are going to start editing video for someone that hired my father but I have a quick question.

If I edit on a PC, would it be difficult to transfer those files to a Mac?

We would be using the program Avid for the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What format would the video be in? Macs can generally handle most common formats with no problems.

And, PlatS, I changed your title to better reflect your question, as per our rules.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Well, right now we're just comparing prices on different things, but if Macs can handle most formats then I think we'll be fine.

Thank you for the answer though, and the title change....and the welcome, lol.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PlatS View Post
    Well, right now we're just comparing prices on different things, but if Macs can handle most formats then I think we'll be fine.

Thank you for the answer though, and the title change....and the welcome, lol.

What formats are you considering? Why AVID? Is that what the customer is using?

Will the Mac be using AVID? Or other?
    Last edited by edDV; 9th Nov 2010 at 17:39.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Well, to start off, it may be easier to know what formats a Mac generally won't accept. I'm trying to compile all this information for my dad so we can go out and purchase the necessary equipment. For the most part, whatever the end product will be will go onto a mac to be uploaded online using a program called wirecast.

We're right now considering AVID, however Sony may be an option as well.

If there are any other effective editing software that run well on a PC, I'm def. open to suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If I edit on a PC, would it be difficult to transfer those files to a Mac?
    Potentially, Yes. Mac is the least versatile platform. It won't accept very many formats natively, unless the videos are mov wrapped

If a video isn't mov wrapped, it needs to be re-wrapped or transcoded (usually to prores) for FCP . FCP can ingest and transcode some formats, but it takes extra time

You can make the life of the FCP editor easier by exporting in a mov format from the PC. e.g. animation codec in mov, png in mov, dnxhd . A PC can edit prores, but cannot export prores
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I edit in VirtualDub in DV or (usually) PicVideo MJPEG and have no difficulty transferring and playing those files on a Mac. They open in QuickTime Player and VLC.

The Lagarith and HuffYUV video files that I've transferred do not play on my Macs (even with Perian installed).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, to start off, it may be easier to know what formats a Mac generally won't accept. I'm trying to compile all this information for my dad so we can go out and purchase the necessary equipment. For the most part, whatever the end product will be will go onto a mac to be uploaded online using a program called wirecast.

We're right now considering AVID, however Sony may be an option as well.

If there are any other effective editing software that run well on a PC, I'm def. open to suggestions.
    Wirecast is mostly DV format centric. Are you planning a live broadcast? What does AVID have to do with Wirecast?

You need to provide more information on what you are trying to do. There is a huge difference between post production and live broadcasting.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Live broadcasting -- no.

What I've been told is we're going to edit on (X) program, and transfer to a Mac, and what we've edited will be uploaded onto the internet using Wirecast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Live broadcasting -- no.

What I've been told is we're going to edit on (X) program, and transfer to a Mac, and what we've edited will be uploaded onto the internet using Wirecast.
    You need to identify your camcorder acquisition format being used. Is it standard definition DV format or something else? Is there a particular reason you are considering AVID?

What is your software budget for the PC?

Do you have access to the Mac or is it somewhere else? What format are they asking for?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    The format is HD. We're recording on mini-hd DV.

My father is considering AVID because that's what he's most familiar with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The format is HD. We're recording on mini-hd DV.

My father is considering AVID because that's what he's most familiar with.
    You mean HDV format probably.

OK if he is familiar with and can support an AVID install. Sony Vegas (Platinum or Pro) is a good alternative.

A Mac will accept HDV format but will convert to AIC for Mac OSX apps.

For Wirecast, see here. Wirecast will accept live HDV over Firewire and should accept HDV files for playback.
    http://www.telestream.net/telestream-support/wire-cast/faq.htm#02

If someone else is running the Mac with Wirecast, ask them what file format they want.
    Last edited by edDV; 10th Nov 2010 at 23:34.
    Quote Quote